Cruise Critic Community
ronbe65

Nieuw Amsterdam: A Luxury Resort Ship of Love and Romance, or How to Cruise on "HAL"

The luquidation of the Explorations cafe is an amazing fact.

Look at the Viking Cruises that have followed the New Amsterdam planning (in general) for their new ships.

Viking Star and Nieuw Amsterdam

48.jpg

Viking Cruises have located their Mamsen’s Café in the observation lounge exactly on the spot where the Explorations café used to be on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

The Mumsen’s has more options to choose from (think of the Dutch Café on the Koningsdam).

While another cruise line is copying the best of the Nieuw Amsterdam, HAL is getting rid of it...

Why not upgrade the Exploration Cafe to the Dutch Café?

The Explorations café has been removed and replaced with the excursion desk.

Specialty coffee is now available from the bar some 60 feet away from the crash site.

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B5.jpg

The Library

Does a modern cruise ship need a library?

Yes.

Even these days.

Why?

The library on a cruise ship is not just a librarary.

It's a lounge, a comfortable, quiet, pleasant place where you can (of course) read books (real or electornic), work on your laptop, have a cup of coffee, meet people, attend certain events, or stay with your thoughts while enjoying sea views, etc., etc...

It's a natural extention to the ship's interiors.

And yes, it's a luxury feature.

On the post-refit Nieuw Amsterdam the library is not exterminated completely (as it was done on the Koningsdam).

The Phantom of the Library is still there.

There are several book shelves here and there in the lounge with books and table games.

The area where the library was, is now hosting a big screen with ever changing views of tourist destinations – pure decoration. Think of electronic wallpapers.

In front of it – another screen table that may attract your attention for a minute before you get bored with its “interactive options».

L3.jpg

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

L6.jpg

L5.jpg

The exit to the forward sun deck is now redecorated.

A good idea actually.

L7.jpg

Port side.

The original SS NieuwAmsterdam bell and the beautiful model of the single most significant ship in the history of Holland America Line are gone.

Can one imagine that suchunique memorabilia can be replaced with an IKEA-inspired tour office lectureroom with a few rows of seats and a digital screen displaying colored pictures(again, another one)…

M7.jpg

M2.jpg

M1.jpg

M3.jpg

The Crow’s Nest is a forward observation lounge.

By definition the beauty of this venue is a panoramic view forward.

What happened?

As a part of the“improvements”, a monstrous two-screen installation is placed right in the middle of the panoramic view.

Does it block the view?

Yes.

It’s like a melanoma spot on someone’s nose.

The screens are displaying current navigation information.

It’s basic but interesting. Nicely presented. Good to know.

But why here?

Why in the middle?

There is so much space around, so many useless screens nearby…

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on a cruise ship.

It would look great in the HR office of a large company, but not in the place where it is now (in my opinion).

1.jpg

2.jpg

1-1.jpg

This is what I find very strange: the whole area of the Crow’s Nest has been sterilized as if it’s ready for sell or rent: no links to the Holland America Line, nothing to remind where you are …

Have I frightened you? (I am talking to the prospective Nieuw Amsterdam cruisers).

No worries. No worries.

For the newbies this place is what is supposed to be on a cruise ship.

The lounge is still available to serve its primary purpose as a forward observation lounge.

This is another luxury feature, and one of the most beautiful places to enjoy on a cruise.

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by ronbe65

My imaginary Crow's Nest on the Nieuw Amsterdam with additional space on Deck 10 and the roof of the Bridge properly utilized as a front viewing deck.

W2.jpg

W1.jpg

Whispering Flowers: A Link to Romance

I've read this recently: "Don't talk about flowers. It sounds like a nursing home".

What?

For us (the Nieuw Amsterdam and myself) it's a link to romance.

Dating and giving flowers...

Valentine's Day bouquets...

The Nieuw Amsterdam has at least two positions for florists on board, and mind you, they are kept busy.

Luxury feature?

Yes, fresh flowers on board is another luxury feature.

Didn't you give flowers to those you love?

A ship of flowers, the Nieuw Amsterdam is whispering to you: "I love you..."

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

77.jpg

Seems like a Cruisetrail redux to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo!

With the caveat there are a few people in these pix.

31.jpg

78.jpg

99.jpg

98.jpg

Wow! You’ve been busy today wit( your posts, but this post caught my eye! The flowers are awesome! This is one of the reasons I appreciate Holland America! I love and appreciate all the fresh flowers on all the ships (not just the Nieuw Amsterdam). If I want silk or plastic flowers (as I find on other cruise lines), then I’ll go back to the 1980s. For me, the fresh flowers add to the cruising experience. Thanks for posting.

I love this blog! Same thing could be said about Celebrity incidentally. The M-class ships as originally designed were heads and shoulders above the Solstice class ships that "replaced" them. I agree that around 2010 was about the pinnacle for all cruise lines. It's been going steadily downhill since then. My 2 cents.

I agree that around 2010 was about the pinnacle for all cruise lines. It's been going steadily downhill since then. My 2 cents.
My 2 cents is that that is not true. Since 2010, Seabourn has launched the Quest, the Encore, and the Ovation. Sliversea has launched the Silver Muse. Regent Seven Seas has launched the Explorer. Crystal River Cruises has launched the Bach and the Mahler. And so on. And these brands have also taken in new ships from mainstream lines like Holland America and remade them into luxury cruise ships. Beyond that, even some mainstream lines have begun building ships-within-ships - luxury or semi-luxury experiences for a small portion of their passengers willing to pay for that luxury.

Today is the "pinnacle for all cruise lines".

And tomorrow will be even higher; though it surely will come one day, there is no end in sight for the expansion of the luxury market for cruises. I think a lot of people get confused by the expansion of different opportunities and options within those opportunities, seemingly thinking as if there is only one cruise line, and it must be precisely what they want, rather than recognizing that the industry has grown incredibly and therefore has differentiated into at least three distinct tiers: a budget tier, providing cruise vacations for a portion of the population that thirty years ago couldn't even dream of cruising; a mainstream tier, providing a great cruising value for those who perhaps in a previous generation would have only been able to afford inside cabins below decks; and a luxury tier, providing the kind of all-inclusive, fine-cruising experience that many have always desired (though few could ever have truly afforded).

L5.jpg

Glad to see Catan there... at least one decent game. The question, of course, is how to pull together a four person game when you are traveling as a couple. I wonder how practical it is to seek out other people who would play a weightier game like Catan.
7.jpg

That's promising, though I bet those folks traveled together.

Glad to see Catan there... at least one decent game. The question, of course, is how to pull together a four person game when you are traveling as a couple. I wonder how practical it is to seek out other people who would play a weightier game like Catan.

That's promising, though I bet those folks traveled together.

Should be fairly easy. You can post a note in the library or even have a notice posted in the Daily Planner. I've done it for chess players myself.

Two observation lounges on a cruise ship - is it possible?

Yes.

On a Luxury Ship of Love and Romance it's possible.

The Lounge that is known as Silk Den Lounge shares the midship superstructure with the Tamarind specialty restaurant.

50.jpg

16.jpg

13.jpg

This is not a full review of the ship, so I focus on the most important details that make this ship unique, and also on some recent post-refit changes.

The Atrium

42.jpg

The atrium staircase has been removed completely.

IMO this is an improvement.

47.jpg

The atrium is more spacious now. The ship is still easy to navigate: there are three major staircases and 14 elevators.

The panoramic sea view elevators are as beautiful as always.

103.jpg

72.jpg

The unique art deco chandelier (a rotating stylized model of New York City skyline) is in place, but for some reason it is not rotating.

Is it temporary or permanent?

I don’t know.

If it’s permanent…. It may look like a clock that stopped.

Holland America, don’t let anyone stop your clock!

3-800.jpg

89-1.jpg

Edited by ronbe65

The unique art deco chandelier (a rotating stylized model of New York City skyline) is in place, but for some reason it is not rotating.

Is it temporary or permanent?

I don’t know.

If it’s permanent…. It may look like a clock that stopped.

Holland America, don’t let anyone stop your clock!

It moves very slowly, but it was rotating out of drydock in December. So if not moving, I would guess it is not permanent,