Cruise Critic Community
scottie cruiser

Has anyone been to Avatoru, Rangiroa before??

We are going to Avatoru, Rangiroa on the Maasdam.

I was wondering if any one here has been to Avatoru before???

If so what is there to see / do there??

Can you snorkel there??

I have been there and there is some very good snorkeling. It is called "The Aquarium".

Was at Rangiroa yesterday on the Insignia actually. Got off the shuttle and booked a snorkeling trip to The Aquarium there on the pier. Very easy. The Aquarium is very close to the pier. They also included a trip to a beach but I wouldn’t bother next time. However the snorkeling was wonderful. You can pay in XPF or USD.

Also used Y'Aka Plongee and they were wonderful and always safety conscious. We did the Aquarium and also drift snorkeling in the Tiputa pass. We're going back in November on Wind Spirit and going to try out a trip to Ile Aux Recifs with Leon. It has been praised highly on Tripadvisor and also includes a stop at the Aquarium on the return.

Was at Rangiroa yesterday on the Insignia actually. Got off the shuttle and booked a snorkeling trip to The Aquarium there on the pier. Very easy. The Aquarium is very close to the pier. They also included a trip to a beach but I wouldn’t bother next time. However the snorkeling was wonderful. You can pay in XPF or USD.

Tell me more. Were there kiosks set up or just guys waving signs? How much did it cost and how long did they take you out for?

Thanks!

Following! Would also love some more advice on Rangiroa as I took a tour with the cruiseline last time we visited, and it was way too short, expensive and a bit disappointing.