Ruby Menus, 7-Night Inside Passage, May 19-26

ericopia

How long were dinners in MDR? Appreciate all the info

In Anytime....or in Traditional for that matter....Your server will work with u, just have to let them know your time table.

In Anytime, normally as quick as an hour as long as 2+

Traditional is more regulated, if you are early seating because they set for the next group, generally no more than 2hrs.

Are these new menus still only on Ruby? I've seen menus posted from other ships recently, and they look like mostly the same as last year. Any idea if/when these new menus will hit other ships?

Yes..just Ruby at this time, she introduced them on March 31st...I was on that sailing..then sailed her again in May, menu tweaked a little for Alaska. Some have posted the upsales and a few changes have been offered in the MDR on another ship, I don't remember maybe Island?

I found them to be a wonderful change....breakfast still the same old same old....:D

Yes..just Ruby at this time, she introduced them on March 31st...I was on that sailing..then sailed her again in May, menu tweaked a little for Alaska. Some have posted the upsales and a few changes have been offered in the MDR on another ship, I don't remember maybe Island?

I found them to be a wonderful change....breakfast still the same old same old....:D

I find it interesting how people find the new menus a wonderful change when if you really examine them the only real changes are a few more regional dishes, the specialty breads and threads, and the extra cost Crown Grill items with sides. Almost 90% of items were basically unchanged.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had the crab legs for dinner in the MDR 2 years ago on the Crown in Alaska. They served a very generous portion. They were split in half so very easy to eat, and cooked perfectly. I was stuffed!

I find it interesting how people find the new menus a wonderful change when if you really examine them the only real changes are a few more regional dishes, the specialty breads and threads, and the extra cost Crown Grill items with sides. Almost 90% of items were basically unchanged. Sent from my iPad using Forums

As the staff said they are "enhanced" menus.....even though at the cooking show, the chef said they were "new" and the MD corrected him and said "enhanced". If you have been a menu watcher you probably are right.

But they seemed a great improvement to me. Was is the menu layout? the bread spreads? new twists on some of the old entrees. I was actually interested in ordering an entree from these menus. I will confess, not a foodie here.

The last few years, I found the menus so repetitive it got to the point I only had starters in the MDR on a 3 week cruise on Majestic Princess, I did not find the market place appetizing on that ship. DH always has fish.

I just checked my cruise history as I was curious how many Princess cruises I have had since I returned to Princess in the fall of 2013...I could not believe it..... 19. So lots of days...and 4 continents, many different ships. So I have looked at many the MDR dinner menus and noticed Ruby's new choices immediately.

Thanks for info, what beverages were offered? Would u have to pay extra if you want a soft drink? Thanks again
Not the OP, but soft drinks cost $2.30 for a 12 ounce can. If you drink a lot of soda, you can purchase the Soda and More packages at $8.05/person/day. That gives you unlimited soda and mocktails that I believe now cost $7.15 each

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

We just disembarked from the Emerald Princess this past Sunday. I hesitate to write this review so I'm going to make this food review short and I am sure that many people will disagree with me, as food is very subjective. I get that, but this was our experience.

All four of us, our entire group, were VERY disappointed in not only the selections on the MDR menu. Portions were very small. The quality of the food, as well as the preparation of the food, was poor. We had no Crown Grill Selects to choose from in the MDR menu, I really wish we had. We actually dreaded going into the MDR for dinner. This was our 8th cruise, 2nd on Princess, so feel that we do have adequate comparisons to make regarding food on our previous cruises.

I ordered shrimp cocktail twice, got 5 very small, one bite, soggy shrimp each time. Fettuccini Alfredo was dry more than once, Caesar Salad had no flavor. The Hazelnut/Maple crusted Salmon was OK, but no perceptible maple flavor at all. Meat Loaf looked like dog food, had an odd color, and actually appeared in the shape of a dog food can, sliced. Very strange. Sister-in-law ate it, although I would not have touched it just based on its presentation and weird-looking texture. My worst meal was the Seafood Stuffed Trout with barley pilaf, I took only two bites, it had no flavor, and the presentation of the food was all one color, beige.

Hamburger was dry, french fries soggy, at lunch in MDR. We only ate lunch and breakfast in there once, food was terrible both meals, so never went back for those meals. We were very surprised that we actually preferred the buffet, and we don't like buffets. It was your typical buffet food, but was better that our MDR choices.

We did eat in the Crown Grill once, and while my fillet was very good and cooked to my specifications, two others in our party said the rib eye was tough.

We never complained about the food at dinner (didn't see the point), never sent back food, but have all agreed that we will never sail princess again due to the food. I did address the food issues in my survey.

Cotija cheese on a burger...white wine sauce on chicken breast...why can't these ships offer normal american food instead of this pretentious nonsense?

Because some of us like it or are willing to change things up when someone else is doing the cooking, serving and cleanup? There is plenty of 'normal american food' available on the menus, in the Crown Grill, in the buffet and at the fast food locations on the Lido deck. You won't starve.

I wouldn't go on a cruise if the only thing offered was what I can cook at home or get at my local chain restaurant. I think the cruise lines do a good job of providing variety plus interesting touches that we probably don't get at home. You think it's pretentious, I think it's a treat to try something new. Good thing we aren't all the same.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 5:11 PM, NoLifeDGenerate said:

Cotija cheese on a burger...white wine sauce on chicken breast...why can't these ships offer normal american food instead of this pretentious nonsense?

My DH’s biggest complaint when I talk him into eating out is what he calls weird sauces and spices on his food. He’s a meat and potatoes guy, and has always been able to find something to his taste in the Princess MDR. 

I may be in big trouble on our upcoming 27 day cruise. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:32 AM, FunForUs said:

I hope that they stay with these menus and that they are available on the Grand in September when we sail next with Princess. We have been very disappointed with the food choices and quality on Princess on our last 2 cruises (except for the Crown Grill and Alfredo's Pizza which were both excellent).

I hope the lunch menu stays the same for when Ruby comes to Australia in October. That London pub grill looks great

I noticed side dishes posted on the bottom of the menu and they changed daily.   How. does this work since all entrees list the accompanying sides?   Are these substitutions you can order or extra dishes?

• 1 month later...

Are these menus currently on all the ships? We have not cruised Princess since 2013 and I am looking for a post with current menus. My DH and DD are bored with Celebrity menus and want a change for our next cruise. I know these were originally posted last summer as only on Ruby.