Encore Cruise Director?

Thecat123

Can anyone tell me who the CD is on the Encore and who would likely to be on earlier December

We are having another try on the Encore

Please tell me Sophie has been promoted to the Encore :)

When I spoke to Sophie in March she mentioned she should be on Sojourn in December to help celebrate my birthday.

Sorry Thecat123, but I really hope she is onboard with me :).

We will be on Encore in July, so if you haven't received an answer by then I will see what I can find out.

Cheers, Julie

When I spoke to Sophie in March she mentioned she should be on Sojourn in December to help celebrate my birthday.

Sorry Thecat123, but I really hope she is onboard with me :).

We will be on Encore in July, so if you haven't received an answer by then I will see what I can find out.

Cheers, Julie

I suppose I will have to be happy for you Julie :)

We met germanshep on a cruise out of Auckland last Xmas and have kinda followed him

He was on the Sojourn last April and I asked him if he liked Sophie

This is his reply

OMG, Sophie is just incredible!!!!! Her one-woman shows are legendary, she brings the house down with her final song and always with standing ovations! Her performances outshine any paid entertainers on this cruise ship. She can sing off the phone book and sing just about anything and bring tears to your eyes! And she has so much connection with the audience. Plus, she seems to have an element of surprise - a mark of a great entertainer. We will miss her when she leaves in March next year. The very best cruise ship directors seem to leave clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

germanship was a nominee for the Grammy awards so he knows his stuff

Have not come across Ross yet

Wonder is Beth (assistant CD) still on the Encore?

And I am not going to sit in the front row when she does her show again if Beth is still on the Encore when we board early Dec. She picked on me but all good fun. I am now the Silver Fox :)

Ross (Roberts) is great fun. Full of energy and not afraid to have a laugh at his own expense.

He kept the Club alive like I have never seen before with his DJ sets which were very interactive and three dimensional :)

He was a real hit on our last cruise and I would love to sail with him again.

Positive words for Handre and Sophie as well, both of whom are well documented on here.

Henry :)

Thecat I was just reading how Sophie is leaving next March. Maybe you should hop across the ditch and sail on Sojourn with us? Sojourn's leaving from Sydney. Then you can hopefully get to see her again. I am hoping to see her do her solo show. I have seen her in group performances but not in her solo and I hear she is amazing.

I have heard good things about Ross though so I am hoping we get to meet him in July.

Julie

Julie you should have come with us on the Sojourn instead of going on the Encore out of Singapore as we had Sophie for about 28 days :)

At least we can still listen to Sophie as we bought her CD :)

Not only can Sophie sing she is real fun as well

The last cruise we did we had Handre along with Beth who provided a solo show which was very good

I am in trouble with booking the December cruise with the wife already so booking another cruise at the moment is out of the question. She misses her horse

I am in trouble with booking the December cruise with the wife already so booking another cruise at the moment is out of the question. She misses her horse

Have you checked to see if they allow "companion" horses on Seabourn 🙄🤣

Julie you should have come with us on the Sojourn instead of going on the Encore out of Singapore as we had Sophie for about 28 days :)

At least we can still listen to Sophie as we bought her CD :)

Not only can Sophie sing she is real fun as well

The last cruise we did we had Handre along with Beth who provided a solo show which was very good

I do understand your wife missing her horse as we miss our dogs. Luckily they love being with our sons.

Thank you for reminding me as I haven't got Sophie's CD yet and I need to buy it before she leaves.

Julie

I was going to ask why it would be important who the cruise director is, but after reading through this thread I am beginning to think that a Seabourn cruise director must be a special breed.

On our previous cruises on other lines, the cruise directors seemed to do little more than manage the entertainment. They seldom did anything themselves in way of performing.

The exeption ( and I wish I could forget it) was some horrible guy who fancied himself a comedian and performed at the comedy venue on a Carnival ship on a very last minute moment of insanity booking a few years ago. Seemingly every third word uttered was the F-bomb....

And yes, I know you can't compare Carnival to Seabourn. 🙂

I was going to ask why it would be important who the cruise director is, but after reading through this thread I am beginning to think that a Seabourn cruise director must be a special breed.

They are indeed. The cruise director (and their assistant) definite set the tone for the vibe of the cruise. They are very much like the old “Julie McCoy” of the Love Boat... socializing with guests, making introductions, and seeing to it that every guest is having a good time.

When I cruised as a solo, the fantastic late David Greene made sure that all the ladies that wanted to dance got a whirl on the dance floor. The cruise director also runs trivia which on some sailings (like transatlantics and others with many sea days) is THE social event of the day.

The assistant cruise director manages invitations for hosted tables (also something very common on Seabourn compared to other lines) and works out those pairings nicely. Many a person I still keep in touch with from past cruises I originally met via a hosted table.

They are indeed. The cruise director (and their assistant) definite set the tone for the vibe of the cruise. They are very much like the old “Julie McCoy” of the Love Boat... socializing with guests, making introductions, and seeing to it that every guest is having a good time.

When I cruised as a solo, the fantastic late David Greene made sure that all the ladies that wanted to dance got a whirl on the dance floor. The cruise director also runs trivia which on some sailings (like transatlantics and others with many sea days) is THE social event of the day.

The assistant cruise director manages invitations for hosted tables (also something very common on Seabourn compared to other lines) and works out those pairings nicely. Many a person I still keep in touch with from past cruises I originally met via a hosted table.

Sounds fabulous.

We are looking forward to our July cruise on the Quest

I do understand your wife missing her horse as we miss our dogs. Luckily they love being with our sons.

Thank you for reminding me as I haven't got Sophie's CD yet and I need to buy it before she leaves.

Julie

Well skp946 has given you the answer re your dogs "Companion dogs"

Horse I think would still be stretching it a bit

buchalm I used to feel the same way about Cruise Directors as we had only been on large cruise ships until we sailed on Seabourn. I do not know if the smaller size of the Seabourn ships means one is "with" the Cruise Directors during the day more often so one does not just become a number as on the larger cruise ships. You are a person and they remember your name

Handre was the CD on our first Seabourn sailing 2 years ago and then on our sailing last Xmas. When we walked up the gangway on our last cruise for the first time Handre was standing there and he still remembered our names. Just think how many passengers he has had over that 2 years to remember our names

This is the Sophie we are talking about

Edited by Thecat123

The cat, thank you for posting the youtube of Sophie performing. I really hope she gets performing opportunities and success when she goes landslide as her voice is so amazing. We are hoping to hear her sing Shirley Bassey songs in December as apparently she does a wonderful performance.

As to our "companion" dogs well there are two and they would likely only allow one onboard. Then it would be a real "Sophie's Choice" and we couldn't bear that.:loudcry:;)

Julie

As to our "companion" dogs well there are two and they would likely only allow one onboard. Then it would be a real "Sophie's Choice" and we couldn't bear that.:loudcry:;)

Julie

C'mon Julie, think it through 2 people/2 dogs, you both have a nervous breakdown if you are away from them for any length of time

Seriously though I must admit that we miss our dog (large poodle) so much as well when we're away from her, however, she loves staying with her old Labrador friends family, so she's happy

"When we walked up the gangway on our last cruise for the first time Handre was standing there and he still remembered our names. Just think how many passengers he has had over that 2 years to remember our names"

Years ago we were taking our second cruise on Seabourn 3 years after our first. It was departing from Venice and as we arrived early we were taking a stroll , and coming the other way was a couple of crew. Stephanie who was in the sky bar on our first cruise rushed up to us and called us by name asking if we were sailing with them. We had not even checked in , so how she remembered us by name after 3 years still amazed me.