Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tray

Christmas Jewel Reviews/Pictures?

Hi! Does anyone have any Jewel reviews and/or pictures of the ship decorated for the Christmas week cruise? We're going next year, so I'm anxious to hear how it was and see some pictures! Hope you all had a great cruise!!!:p

I'm waiting (anxiously!!) to read some reviews of your cruise on the Jewel over Christmas! Surely there's somebody on these boards that went that week?:confused:

Unless they post the review directly to a new thread it may be a while.

Our reviews for the 11/6 cruise were just posted about 3 weeks ago. So people may have submitted them but they're not in the "review" section yet.

I know I'm just being over anxious! And people are also probably doing laundry, getting kids back to school, etc. So it may be a while! I'll just sit back and wait with great anticipation!

I boarded the Norwegian Jewel on Christmas day, it was the easiest embarkation I have ever had. Debarkation on New Year's day was very easy also. It is a very nice ship, second only to the Celebrity Summit, that I have been aboard. This was my first time on a Norwegian Cruise Line ship, and my first experience with freestyle cruising. After getting settled into our cabin, we went down to the Azura Dinning Room for dinner. We were a party of ten, and were surprised that there was going to be a forty minute wait, before we could be seated. This was the only evening that we had to wait before being seated at the Azura or Tsar's Palace. I was not impressed with the quality of food at either one of these dining rooms for lunch or dinner. Tsar's Palace does serve a very good breakfast however. We were able to eat at Mama's Kitchen one evening, the food there was very good. We were able to eat at Cagney's on the last evening of our cruise, this is one of the six specialty restaurants that has a cover charge. It was $15.00 per person, I ordered the fillet and it was very good, probably the best fillet I have ever had on a cruise.

We had trouble with our toilet every day, my brother had the cabin next to mine and he had trouble with his also. Since they were unable to fix the toilet they offered to give us a bottle of complementary wine on the last day of our cruise, I think they could have done something better for our trouble. I am not sure that freestyle cruising is for us. We enjoy getting together with the rest of the family at dinner time and sharing with them what all we did that day. The grandparents really enjoy hearing the grandchildren tell them about their day. I also never really got to know to wait staff in the restaurants, but since the food was not very good, the service did not matter. I did get to know our cabin attendant, he was very pleasant and did a great job for us. I also thought the live band playing at the swimming pool was much to loud, and was disappointed with the entertainment at the Stardust, it seem to me to be less entertaining as the week wore on. There was no Grand Midnight Buffet on this cruise, but they did offer a chocolate buffet one afternoon in Tsar's Palace. It really was not a big enough area to accomodate everyone. I am interested in reading about your experience, if you were on this same cruise.

Soverign of the Seas - Christmas 2000

Celebrity Summit - August 2002

Carnival Jubilee - August 2003

NCL Jewel - Christmas 2005

While there are six speciality restaurants aboard th eJewel, only three have a cover charge.

They are Le Bristo, Cagney's, and Chin Chin. The other speciality restaurants are free, they are the Blue Lagoon, Mama's Italian, and Tango's Tapas. Along with the main restaurants, Tsar's palace and Azura, there's also The Great Outdoors and th eGarden Cafe buffets which are free.

Where did you get the idea there's 6 cover charge restaurants?

You enjoyed the Cagney's steak, did you try dining at the other free restaurants? Not everyone likes eating "continental" mass produced meals, but there were other free choices you could have tried.

Stopped up toilets are something we should get used to, as all the cruise lines are adopting and using vacuum toilets today, for environmental reasons, and passengers continue to flush things down them that they shouldn't. I'm not suggesting that you did, but someone probably did on the zone you were tied to. A free bottle of wine is compensation I would take anytime for this small inconvience.

I hope your next cruise on whatever cruise line and ship you choose, is much better than your last.

Stopped up toilets are something we should get used to, as all the cruise lines are adopting and using vacuum toilets today, for environmental reasons, and passengers continue to flush things down them that they shouldn't. I'm not suggesting that you did, but someone probably did on the zone you were tied to. A free bottle of wine is compensation I would take anytime for this small inconvience.

In all the cruises we have taken, we have been lucky enough not to have toilet problems! Thank God!!!

BUT, if we did have problems, we wouldn't consider it a "small inconvience!!!!!! Especially if you have to leave your stateroom to go to a public restroom!

Kataiga: I'm glad the ship was decorated beautifully---and thanks---that was one thing I was wondering!

Ce2000: I'm sorry the food wasn't good, IYO. That makes me a little nervous. We are going next Christmas (an extended family of 18) to celebrate my brother-in-law's 50th b-day. They like good food and I want it to be enjoyable for them. I do understand food is a very individual thing, so could you tell me what you didn't like about the food? Were there not selections you liked, was the food cold, etc. I know you mentioned quality. Was the meat not good quality, etc. As far as your family sharing stories during dinner using freestyle dining, did you guys not sit together each night? I know we just went on the Sun and there were a lot of tables with large groups eating together. Was that a problem on the Jewel? Sounds like we should definitely make reservations for Cagney's at least one night. Did you eat in any of the other specialty restaurants?

As far as the toilet thing goes, I'll just pray that that doesn't happen to any of us. We've been on three other cruises and haven't ever had any problems. To have a toilet that didn't work every day of your cruise would be an inconvenience to say the least. No disrespect, Electricon, but I agree with denims:I wouldn't want to have to leave my stateroom to use the restroom every time it got stopped up.

The evening entertainment on NCL was wonderful on our NCL Sun cruise. What didn't you like about the entertainment? Boring, tacky? Wasn't there a show similar to Cirque de Soleil (sp?) on that ship? Those are usually very good.

And they didn't have any sail away parties on deck at night ever? On the Sun we had two really awesome sail away parties that started around 10:30 and went on until midnight or so. There was more than enough food in that buffet to last for the whole week. There were beautiful ice sculptures, bread sculptures, etc. That would be disappointing if there wasn't anything at night for sail away.

Also, were there any Christmas activities/fun on Christmas day? We'll be sailing Dec. 24-31, so we'll actually wake up on the cruise ship on Christmas Day and I'm curious what there will be for the kids. Anything you can tell me about that would be helpful, too!

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me! Sorry to ask you so many questions, but I'm trying to find out as much as I can before we go so I know what to expect. I feel semi-responsible for our family's cruise experience since I arranged it. Hope you are settling back into the New Year, and I hope you did get to relax and enjoy your holiday some on the ship!:o

tray: This was my first Freestyle Cruise, so I didn't understand the need for making resevations for dinner at the specialty restaurants, especially if you have a large group. I didn't realize that a group of ten was a large group to them. By the time I realized the need to make reservations, the only time slots available for a large party for dinner were after 9:00 PM. As far as the food in the regular dining room, I found it to be rather bland, and pretty skimpy meat choices. For example, this was the only cruise that I have been on that I did not have lobster tail, however it is available at the specialty pay extra dining rooms. Other than Cagney's the only other speciality restaurant that I experienced was Mama's Kitchen, there was no cover charge here and the Italian Food was very good. I know that there were more passengers on this cruise than any previous Jewel sailing, since it was over the Christmas Holidays, and I assume that your cruise will be packed also since you will be cruising during Christmas. As far as any special activities on Christmas Day I suppose there will be for you, but we boarded the ship on Christmas Day, so there wasn't much time to spend on the ship after you get unpacked and go through the emergency evacuation drill and have dinner the day was pretty much over. As far as the toilet thing goes I am sure they will have that problem taken care of before you board ship, because I have never had that problem on any other ship. I wonder if a part needed to be replaced and they didn't have it aboard ship or couldn't replace it until they got back to Miami. As far as the entertainment goes the first night was Romano Frediani and he was pretty good, he does various juggling acts. The second night was Gossamer Magic, he does comedy and illusions, and he was very entertaining. The third eveining was Band on the Run, I didn't enjoy this at all, the sound was way to loud. The forth evening was The Second City, various comedy sketches that I did not see any humor in. After two evenings of what I believe were terrible shows, I didn't want to waste any more time on the shows on the fifth and sixth night. The seventh night I did attend because they brought back Romano Frediani and Gossamer Magic for an abbreviated show. They did have Cirque Bijou on the sixth night but I did not see it, perhaps I should have. Relax, your family will have a great time next Christmas on this ship. Christmas is a year away and I believe that things will be better on this ship next year. Come back to this site every two or three months a get a new review from someone who recently cruised the Jewel.

Hello Tray, We just got off the Christmas cruise on the Jewel and loved it. We are going back again next year. I have to admit there were a few minor issues but nothing too bad. I plan on writing a full review when I finish unpacking, doing laundry and taking down the Christmas stuff. I will say that there were many beautiful Christmas trees and various decorations all over the ship. The food at LeBistro was excellent and the one night we had to eat at the Garden Cafe for dinner it was pretty good. Our favorite place to eat was Cagneys. We ate there twice. The one thing I would emphasize is making reservations as soon as you board for the whole week. That really saved us. Like I said I will write my review in more detail soon.

Sorry I haven't checked the boards for a few days. Thanks for the great comments and reviews that have started coming in! And for the encouraging words about our cruise next Christmas. I know we'll have a blast!