Charge for printing out airline boarding passes on the cruise

We just returned from a very enjoyable cruise on FOS. We wanted to check-in for our return flight and print out boarding passes. We had not purchased VOOM. I asked at guest relations if there was some provision for just accessing the airline website to check-in. I was told that I would have to purchase one hour of internet service ($9.99 less a 15% discount for platinum status) in order to check-in and get our boarding passes.

The cruise line certainly takes every opportunity to maximize their revenues and I realize that they are a for-profit company. It is a shame that they cannot offer this service as a courtesy as several hotels that I have stayed at have. While this is only a small fee, it is unfortunate that some consideration could be not given after spending thousands of dollars.

Just my opinion. I was wondering what others think?

We just returned from a very enjoyable cruise on FOS. We wanted to check-in for our return flight and print out boarding passes. We had not purchased VOOM. I asked at guest relations if there was some provision for just accessing the airline website to check-in. I was told that I would have to purchase one hour of internet service ($9.99 less a 15% discount for platinum status) in order to check-in and get our boarding passes.

The cruise line certainly takes every opportunity to maximize their revenues and I realize that they are a for-profit company. It is a shame that they cannot offer this service as a courtesy as several hotels that I have stayed at have. While this is only a small fee, it is unfortunate that some consideration could be not given after spending thousands of dollars.

We get Early Bird (auto check-in) for Southwest and get boarding passes at the airport.

Any time we've flown, I simply wait to check in until we dock. I also just do an electronic boarding pass on my phone so there's nothing to print.

That’s exactly what I do. Even when traveling on land. Being a senior, sometimes I hate technology but it sure comes out in handy.

Just a quick note, i believe southwest charges $15 per person for early check in. So the $9.99 for an hour of internet is a deal

True, but Early Bird (depending when you buy it) generally gets a much lower boarding number than 24hr check-in.

True, but Early Bird (depending when you buy it) generally gets a much lower boarding number than 24hr check-in.

I believed this as well. After some posts here on CC, I went to check at the Early Bird policy especially since a couple of times we've been in the B boarding group. It does seem they want to make one believe this is the case.

Fortunately, we just hold back some of our loyalty level internet time and check in then. Have actually gotten better or at least equal boarding position as Early Bird option. ;p

Just a quick note, i believe southwest charges $15 per person for early check in. So the $9.99 for an hour of internet is a deal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Not a good analogy. SW early bird isn't the same as their 24 hour check in. It can be done months in advance.

The Diamond Concierge will do it for you 😉

Yes they will, but I find it much easier just to have the mobile boarding pass sent to my phone. There is usually a long line at the Concierge's desk on the last night, and most airlines will let you have them automatically check you in for your return flight when you check in for your outbound flight.

Any time we've flown, I simply wait to check in until we dock. I also just do an electronic boarding pass on my phone so there's nothing to print.

A surprising number of folks have no idea that this is available.

Weren't there kiosks to print boarding passes at one time or am I thinking of a different line?

You are lucky they did not add 18% grats to it!:halo:

Is there any reason, if not on Southwest, to check in before you get to the airport and have them print your boarding pass when you check luggage? That's all we do. With assigned seats I see no reason to have to print the boarding bass ahead of airport arrival. Perhaps I can learn something new. When we fly SW, I always have the concierge in either the suite or diamond lounge print those.So far have never gotten worse then B group.

I believed this as well. After some posts here on CC, I went to check at the Early Bird policy especially since a couple of times we've been in the B boarding group. It does seem they want to make one believe this is the case.

Fortunately, we just hold back some of our loyalty level internet time and check in then. Have actually gotten better or at least equal boarding position as Early Bird option. ;p

I'm curious how you knew it was better or equal on a given flight. Did some people on the same flight do early bird and others did not? There's obviously no way to compare between two different flights because the number of early birds varies.

I was once at the gate for a SW flight. Apparently, some who had paid for Early Bird got B positions. They were fuming - as I would have been - because we all know what happens at the gate. 3,018 people suddenly have family boarding with four people each and they get to waltz on after the A people board.

On this occasion, the gate agent announced, "Anyone who paid for Early Bird and received a B position, please follow the A people, before we begin Family Boarding."

There was an audible cheer from the crowd.

On our recent RCL cruise I did purchase a Voom package after using up our Diamond free time..but when I went to the library the last night to check in for our TATL flight home the computer there just ran me around in circles for some unknown reason. Soooo, I went to the Diamond Lounge for help and the hostess did help me. She also pointed out, when the United page offered to sell me more miles, that "boy they try to upsell everything!". It was a good laugh as I pointed out that they learned the art of upselling from Royal.....