Cruise Critic Community
Bojeanne

Port Maps

I'll be on a cruise of the Med in September, stopping at ports in Spain, France, and Italy. I like to have maps of the ports I visit and am having trouble finding online maps I can print and actually read. Does anyone know of a good source for maps of cruise ports like Valencia, Alicante, and Malaga in Spain? Or does Celebrity provide decent maps that can be used to get you around the cities? Any suggestions appreciated. :cool::cool:

Celebrity maps are pretty useless..in fact we've arrived in ports where celebrity doesn't even hand out a map. Many ports have an information booth where you can get a free map.

But if you want to print up a map, just google "valencia spain map" and you'll get a map of the area...click on it to open google maps online...and use the roller on your mouse or click on the + or - key to zoom in to whatever you want. Then just print that page.

In our Eclipse cruise to the Caribbean, Celebrity maps were only for shopping jewelry

On our month long land trip in Europe last year, we just used our tablet. You can download the map you want and use it offline.

You could try Tom's Port Guides

https://www.tomsportguides.com/

It doesn't cover all ports though

Malaga is pretty straightforward - walk or get the port bus to the entrance of the port - cross the road and your in the centre of Malaga

Book stores generally have pocket guides with excellent maps

ghstudio's suggestion is good. You might take it a step further and actually download Google "offline" maps to your phone. It's just one more step. We used them in every city we visited over a 28-day trip from Gibraltar to Rhodes!

Little known fact: You can use your phone in port with GPS on the offline maps WITHOUT using data or having wi-fi access.

Set up your phone as follows to prevent unwanted data charges. As long as you maintain all of these settings, you shouldn't incur any data charges. Settings vary by phone.

• Turn off data: Phone Settings > Data Usage > Cellular Data.
  • Turn off data roaming: Phone Settings > Data Usage > Settings > Cellular Networks > Data Roaming.
  • Turn on Airline mode. (Very important that this is always on the entire trip).
  • Turn on Wi-Fi (when desired).
  • And of course turn on GPS (when desired).

If you're curious about our trip, I posted it here: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/eastern-mediterranean.html

It's very detailed.

ghstudio's suggestion is good. You might take it a step further and actually download Google "offline" maps to your phone. It's just one more step. We used them in every city we visited over a 28-day trip from Gibraltar to Rhodes!

Little known fact: You can use your phone in port with GPS on the offline maps WITHOUT using data or having wi-fi access.

Set up your phone as follows to prevent unwanted data charges. As long as you maintain all of these settings, you shouldn't incur any data charges. Settings vary by phone.

• Turn off data: Phone Settings > Data Usage > Cellular Data.
  • Turn off data roaming: Phone Settings > Data Usage > Settings > Cellular Networks > Data Roaming.
  • Turn on Airline mode. (Very important that this is always on the entire trip).
  • Turn on Wi-Fi (when desired).
  • And of course turn on GPS (when desired).

If you're curious about our trip, I posted it here: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/eastern-mediterranean.html

It's very detailed.

Thank you for the information. another reason I love Cruise Critic!

No experience with Europe, however guest services has always been able to provide us with informative info sheets for Caribbean, Central American and Canadian ports. The sheets vary in content but usually contain island and port maps plus info on beaches, restaurants, attractions, taxi costs, etc. NO SHOPPING ADVICE. DW has quite a collection.

No experience with Europe, however guest services has always been able to provide us with informative info sheets for Caribbean, Central American and Canadian ports. The sheets vary in content but usually contain island and port maps plus info on beaches, restaurants, attractions, taxi costs, etc. NO SHOPPING ADVICE. DW has quite a collection.

I have never seen a celebrity issued map that didn’t highlight “recommended” shopping. We always find someone at the port that gives out (free) tourist maps...or carry our own, printed from the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never seen a celebrity issued map that didn’t highlight “recommended” shopping. We always find someone at the port that gives out (free) tourist maps...or carry our own, printed from the internet.

They do exist not sure if for every port but definitely in Europe. Sometimes also has some basic travel information bus/ train availability.

You do have to seek them out at either Guest Relations, Concierge or Captains Club Hostess.

On my last sailing the CC hostess had them laid out at morning breakfast along with trivia & crossword pages.

Some of the maps we've had from celebrity have been very blurred to make them nigh on impossible to read. Others have looked like they've been drafted by an Etch A Sketch

While on the Reflection in the Mediterranean we did receive a map each night of the following day's port. The bits of the town that they mapped was very clear and easy to read. However, I agree 100% with 24acorns. This is not a map you want to use for sightseeing. They're typically only useful for finding the recommended stores mentioned at the "port talks".

In general, in the Eastern Med, we also found the free maps in port pretty lame as well. Rome has at least 2 maps. The newspaper-thin map is directly responsible for misdirecting us for the first 24 hours until we figured out it wasn't us --- it was the map. We were staying near the Pantheon, and walked everywhere. Once we ignored that map and stuck to the heavier roads, we found EVERYTHING!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guest services sometimes has a pile of port (not shopping) info sheets stacked behind the counter available for the asking. Not sure why we have to ask. If they were out of stock they used to have a port book they would photocopy them from. Nowadays they just hit a button on their console and print them out for us.

Also not too many years ago I remember on the Eclipse So. Carib sailings they held port info sessions the night before each stop. It was hosted by either the port shopping or tour person but wasn't a shopping or tour talk, focusing instead on island history, places of interest, best beaches, currency and transportation. Very helpful. Didn't produce revenue though which is probably why they stopped doing them.

I'd consider that an "Enrichment Talk" and, while sorely needed, were severely lacking on our last two cruises. It ought to be just chalked up to a "value add".

Thanks again for info and suggestions. Another option I found for paper maps is to save an online map as a PDF file and take it to Staples on a USB stick. They can blow up the document and print it on paper large enough to read.