Who do I email to complain to? Change in Cuba Itinerary

We booked a Cruise with Royal Caribbean in May of 2017 a 5 night with two overnights in Havana on the Empress of the Seas. They moved us to the Majesty of the Seas without contacting us. We found out via Cruise Critic. The room they automatically placed us in was no where near what we originally booked on the Empress! Luckily our travel agent was able to move us to a better location. We thought about cancelling the cruise, as we were looking forward to sailing on the Empress but didn't because it was the only cruise that Royal Caribbean offered as a TWO OVERNIGHT in Havana. Yesterday we found out...again via a fellow passenger, not RC...that they switched the departure from 8 am to 2 AM. We have to be back onboard by 1:30am. We have plans to attend the Tropicana that night. We will be cutting it close to get back in time. Not to mention we were looking forward to watching the sunrise and the morning sail away. That is NOT a two overnight in Havana as advertised. That is one overnight. In fact they have changed the advertising on their website from a "TWO OVERNIGHT to a "TWO NIGHT" in Havana....not what I booked. We paid a premium price for this cruise because it was a TWO overnight. That not only is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT that is called BAIT AND SWITCH. Of course they switched this AFTER the final payment was due so we cannot cancel. I understand switching the itinerary due to weather. That has happened to us before we understand that is unavoidable. BUT changing the departure time close to just shy of 2 months prior to the cruise seems unfair.

The ONLY vote that will make ANY difference here is the one with your wallet. Send those emails to those contacts but you really should make them aware that you plan on CANCELLING your reservation and will tell ... TEN others who will tell ten others who ....

in order to make ANY difference in ANY way.

On the other hand, stuff like this happens all the time so expect it all to fall on deaf ears and for nothing to change

My recommendation would be reaching out to a manager at guest relations, probably not Adam Goldstein or Michael Bayley, because they are going to just send it over to guest relations. Essentially just a middle man, the CEO and President aren't guest relations, it's not their job, there are entire buildings of people dedicated to this and they are going to get it to someone whose job it is to handle this. And while they do respond, it's more delayed because they have consulted guest relations.

Also, there is a chance that you are not receiving any of this information because you booked through a travel agent. We use one as well and I have almost no communication from RC, they email my TA who then provides me with the information. If you were booked direct with RC, most likely you would have received direct communication from them.

Lastly, you have every right to be upset, I would be too, but my recommendation is when you start talking to someone about this, don't go into that conversation with the wrath of 1,000 suns because no matter what you say or do, your complaints will not change something of this magnitude. If you were complaining about a cabin switch or downgrade that's one thing, but you are talking about an entire itinerary. If you are nice and explain your frustration and how this effects you, you are more likely to have a result more in line with your expectations.

Just advice from someone in the hospitality industry...

The ONLY vote that will make ANY difference here is the one with your wallet. Send those emails to those contacts but you really should make them aware that you plan on CANCELLING your reservation and will tell ... TEN others who will tell ten others who ....

in order to make ANY difference in ANY way.

On the other hand, stuff like this happens all the time so expect it all to fall on deaf ears and for nothing to change

I totally agree. I have posted in our group for my fellow passengers to email with their complaints. I would cancel if I could but because we have made our final payments we would lose our money. I did include in my emails that I am CANCELLING my B2B in December/January. I did also say that I will no longer recommend Royal Caribbean. I hate to do that but this is a cruise I have been looking forward to since May of last year.

I have been on a cruise, where a port was changed due to weather and I understand those type of changes. What I cannot understand is changing the departure time from 8am to 2am 58 days before the cruise. That to me sounds unfair to passengers who booked a cruise that clearly stated it was a two overnight. Thank you so much for you advice...you are correct....it takes TEN others to tell TEN others.....Hopefully our collective voices are heard.

If you get no where look at the Pros, Majesty is better than Empress.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

I have heard that but I did have a great room booked on the Empress very close to a quiet outside balcony. The two overnights in Havana was what I was really looking forward to. 3 mornings in Havana. Enjoying the sunrise and getting some great photos of a sunrise sail away.

I'm not trying to rain on this thread, and I am all for voicing a complaint (and have on several occasions), but the cruise contract is very clear about their right to change the itinerary.

Good luck, and I hope they help you out in some way.

My recommendation would be reaching out to a manager at guest relations, probably not Adam Goldstein or Michael Bayley, because they are going to just send it over to guest relations. Essentially just a middle man, the CEO and President aren't guest relations, it's not their job, there are entire buildings of people dedicated to this and they are going to get it to someone whose job it is to handle this. And while they do respond, it's more delayed because they have consulted guest relations.

Also, there is a chance that you are not receiving any of this information because you booked through a travel agent. We use one as well and I have almost no communication from RC, they email my TA who then provides me with the information. If you were booked direct with RC, most likely you would have received direct communication from them.

Lastly, you have every right to be upset, I would be too, but my recommendation is when you start talking to someone about this, don't go into that conversation with the wrath of 1,000 suns because no matter what you say or do, your complaints will not change something of this magnitude. If you were complaining about a cabin switch or downgrade that's one thing, but you are talking about an entire itinerary. If you are nice and explain your frustration and how this effects you, you are more likely to have a result more in line with your expectations.

Great advice. I do agree about "going in with the wrath of 1,000"....lol My first email this morning to Royal Caribbean was from anger!! I did re-word my email to be more about the let down of my expectations and anticipation I had for this cruise. I did say that it would alter my decision to sail with them in the future. I emailed all of the above and will continue to email others. Several others on our cruise are disappointed to and are writing emails. Hopefully we will be heard. Thank you for your advice!

Very well stated. Great post. This is why we need a "like" button.

And I hope OP does get a satisfactory resolution.

I'm not trying to rain on this thread, and I am all for voicing a complaint (and have on several occasions), but the cruise contract is very clear about their right to change the itinerary.

Someone else said that about the cruise contract. I am just not understanding how they can advertise a 2 overnight then change it for no apparent reason. We could have picked a different cruise for less. Thank you for the well wishes. I hope they help us too ....somehow, someway :)

So far only one person has received an email from RC. I do have a TA but when our ship was changed they had not emailed her. I do have a call into my TA but if she didn't know our ship was changed then I am not sure if she knows about the departure change. Another fellow passenger contacted their TA and they had not heard about the change in our departure. We were wondering if it is because we have not checked in online? I will follow up with my TA. I will post an update after I hear back from Royal Caribbean

Someone else said that about the cruise contract. I am just not understanding how they can advertise a 2 overnight then change it for no apparent reason. We could have picked a different cruise for less. Thank you for the well wishes. I hope they help us too ....somehow, someway :)

They have the "legalese" language in the contract and fine print. Most people think it's based on weather changes, but they can change for a whole lot of reasons. Sometimes it's a domino effect from the port authorities jockeying ships around. Could be almost anything, but it's not common.

RCCL should be able to do something for you. We had a very bad experience on the Rhapsody recently. They froze my husband's insulin, causing it to become insu-garbage. The doctor on board and Customer Service went crazy taking care of the problem. On board is a whole different story from Corporate Miami. However, start with Corporate and see what happens.

I'm thinking cabin upgrade, or drink package, or obc, or dining package. Something to make your time on board (where they hope you will spend more money), enjoyable in spite of the disappointment.

My rule of thumb from 45 years of cruising: ALWAYS, always, always be nice and keep your cool. Polite goes a long way, even on the phone, with them.

Just my 2 cents, it may be the contract but it's still not good business. It's like relocations or "walks" in the hotel business, we can certainly do it at anytime but doesn't make it right.

No one has speculated as to the reason for the itinerary change. Having sailed to Havana, I know that the dock space is very limited. On the day I sailed in on Empress, we had had to wait offshore at 4AM while a Carnival ship which had been in port sailed out. I'm guessing the the Cuban authorities either changed Majesty's departure in order to allow another ship to sail in the early morning or the authorities messed up and double booked it to begin with.

Just be nice; and you'll probably get some OBC. My guess is that RCCL isn't trying to make you upset on purpose.

Omit the top line. Laly is no longer there.

Despite what others have said on this thread, mbayley@rccl.com is NOT his personal email. It is specifically the email that his large staff read to sort out legitimate complaints and praise and send them to the right place for action.

No one has speculated as to the reason for the itinerary change. Having sailed to Havana, I know that the dock space is very limited. On the day I sailed in on Empress, we had had to wait offshore at 4AM while a Carnival ship which had been in port sailed out. I'm guessing the the Cuban authorities either changed Majesty's departure in order to allow another ship to sail in the early morning or the authorities messed up and double booked it to begin with.

Just be nice; and you'll probably get some OBC. My guess is that RCCL isn't trying to make you upset on purpose.

This would be my guess. You could just cancel your reservation if you don't like the changes. They cancelled our cruise for a charter. A pain to find something else to connect with another cruise we had booked, but not worth losing any sleep over it.

Cancel if you don't like it. You've really got to be more flexible when cruising. Changed in ships, itineraries, ports, etc happen all the time. If you are all about a specific port, or the time length there, fly.

This would be my guess. You could just cancel your reservation if you don't like the changes. They cancelled our cruise for a charter. A pain to find something else to connect with another cruise we had booked, but not worth losing any sleep over it.

The OP said it's past final payment.

Just my 2 cents, it may be the contract but it's still not good business. It's like relocations or "walks" in the hotel business, we can certainly do it at anytime but doesn't make it right.

Exactly! They can put the language in the contract to protect them and allow them to pretty much do what they want, BUT it doesn't make it right!

OP - I am sorry to hear of all your changes and hope you get some resolution. I understand you are upset, and I would be too, but there is likely nothing that can be done.

Unfortunately, many of us have had itinerary changes, for a variety of reasons, or no reason at all. Many have missed a port due to passenger illness, weather, or a whole variety of reason. I recently had a transatlantic cruise that we booked specifically to see Dublin, and the Dublin stop was cancelled while we were on board and just two days prior to our arrival there. I've had an Eastern Caribbean cruise changed the night prior to sailing to become a western Caribbean cruise. I've had a cruise that included passage through the Suez Canal and for what ever reason, we did the passage at night, and missed everything. Folks were really mad about that nighttime passage. Nothing was offered to passengers because after all, the contract was to go through the Suez Canal, and we did just that.

Please do keep us posted with any resolution.

M