Deployment 2020-21 booking season begins

Any views here on the likely response to the ban on ships over 55000 tons entering Venice port by 2021?

https://www.thelocal.it/20171108/venice-to-ban-all-large-ships-from-st-marks--to-protect-historic-buildings

I think Royal would pull out if forced to dock at Marghera. If so, would Royal increase capacity from Rome? Or home port a ship in Athens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's misguided, it's only 6 months of the year. But it's their city.

It does fire the opening shot around the world in a war on mega cruise ships. More and more ports are likely to restrict the number of passengers visiting on any one day.

In ten years how will RCI's strategy align with new restrictions? Will there be more cruises to nowhere?

In ten years how will RCI's strategy align with new restrictions? Will there be more cruises to nowhere?

Many of the typical cruise ports should feel damn lucky anybody bothers to get off in their ports. I can' even imagine what could make me get off a cruise ship in Nassau anymore? Maybe a fire. Maybe not.

You won’t have worry too much- many itineraries next year use CocoCay instead.

Yep, Nassau is pretty much relegated to the short cruises as well as a few stops by ships sailing from Bayonne and Baltimore. After May 2019 Allure is the only Oasis class ship that will stop at Nassau and even that ends in October 2019.

Has anyone found the word ‘Explorer’ in port Bookings in the Caribbean after May 2020?

Explorer is getting amped in 2020 so maybe after May. Did read elsewhere that she is due to come back to Sydney at the end of October 2020

Royal did have a booking in Grand Cayman November 2020 for Serenade of the Seas.

Not on the bookings now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Must been computer error as Royals famous for, those Serenade dates wont be released until next Spring. I cruise those sailings every yr last 5yrs, 2014-2019, booking nite of release.

Last time I checked Quantum Plus 5 was expected to be commissoined in the fall of 2020. If this is still the timeframe, it's relevant to this deployment cycle.

Would she likely be deployed to Bayonne, Alaska/Australia, China or elsewhere?

Where will the ship she replaces be deployed?

Many are reporting on social media that their Allure sailings for April 2020 have been cancelled due to Dry Dock. Looks like they might sail a non-revenue TA like Indy this year.

No reason right now to suspect a non revenue TA. The TA, drydock and Europe sailings will all be announced with the new itineraries.

Must been computer error as Royals famous for, those Serenade dates wont be released until next Spring. I cruise those sailings every yr last 5yrs, 2014-2019, booking nite of release.

This was about a port booking in Grand Cayman and not about info on Royals website. Of course port bookings are done long before the cruise schedule is published.

I’m thinking of sailing Anthem or Allure summer 2020. Does anyone know what itineraries either one will likely follow?

I just did a western med this summer on Symphony so don’t want to repeat the exact same ports again in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Anthem is sailing from Southampton she will probably do a couple of Norway cruises before spending the summer around the Med

Last time I checked Quantum Plus 5 was expected to be commissoined in the fall of 2020. If this is still the timeframe, it's relevant to this deployment cycle.

Would she likely be deployed to Bayonne, Alaska/Australia, China or elsewhere?

Q5 details may be delayed, especially if she's going to Asia.

IMHO Cape Liberty is the most possible option for Quantum 5, since Anthem seems to switch to Southampton in summer season 2020 and apparently does not return to Cape Liberty in late fall.

So she needs a replacement. During summer 2020 I count on Liberty sailing out of Cape Liberty, if Oasis replaces her out of Galveston.

So in fall 2020 Quantum 5 could finally take over her itineraries.

Also worthy of note is the approval of dredging operations to deepen and widen the channel into Cairns (Queensland). The environmental impact statement has been approved and the port authority intends to have the work completed in 2019:

https://www.portsnorth.com.au/ports-north-projects/cairns-shipping/

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2018/7/5/expressions-of-interest-being-sought-for-cairns-shipping-development-project

The channel currently only allows ships up to (roughly) the size of Rhapsody of the Seas to enter the port. Passengers on larger ships are tendered ashore. The proposed works will allow ships up to 300 metres length to enter port.

Cairns is already a major tourist destination and I expect it will become a regular call for Royal's ships that are based in Brisbane and Sydney.

The project is not upgrading the terminal facilities and they would not be able to turn around a large ship.

IMHO Cape Liberty is the most possible option for Quantum 5, since Anthem seems to switch to Southampton in summer season 2020 and apparently does not return to Cape Liberty in late fall.

So she needs a replacement. During summer 2020 I count on Liberty sailing out of Cape Liberty, if Oasis replaces her out of Galveston.

So in fall 2020 Quantum 5 could finally take over her itineraries.

So assuming anthem does not return to Cape Liberty after the Southampton summer season , where is she likely to go?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many are reporting on social media that their Allure sailings for April 2020 have been cancelled due to Dry Dock. Looks like they might sail a non-revenue TA like Indy this year.

I strongly suspect you are right as they canceled all of April for Allure....March is too early to sell a TA - it seems they will be having a non-revenue TA followed by the drydock just like Indy! :eek::loudcry: