We're doing Viking Budapest to Passau first week in November. Thinking we might do an extra day or two at the end in either Prague or Munich. We'll be touring [COLOR=#333333][FONT="]Czesky Krumlov when we stop in Austria. Any recommendations? We've been to Europe once before but that was a Mediterranean cruise so both options would be new to us.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Ha, good luck with that choice! Have been to both and love each for its own reasons.

Prague is smaller and perhaps feels older and more medieval. Munich is bigger and has more modern-appearing sections. There is probably more to do in Munich but either one will keep you very busy for just two days, and you'll feel like you need to go back to see more when you're done.

However, Prague is wildly popular with tourists and because it's small, it can get crazy crowded.

The food is similar in some ways (in either city, you can get a crispy pork knuckle to die for) and both places love their beer. Prague is cheaper than Munich but Munich isn't really all that expensive.

You will probably find more direct flights to the US from Munich though they do exist out of Prague. I know DL flies direct JFK-PRG but it may be a seasonal flight so I don't know if it's available in November. From Passau it's probably easier to get to Munich on your own than Prague, so if you only have one day, it may not be worth going to Prague.

But Prague will be different from any of the cities that you visit along the Danube.

Confused yet? I told you it is impossible to choose one over the other. We want to go back to both of them.

If you choose Munich you can visit Neuschwanstein Castle. Plus visit lots of Biergartens among other fun things in Munich. It’s a change up from the Danube. We personally put Neuschwanstein on our favorite places list.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

I guess it depends on your personal preferences.
I prefer Prague. I have never visited via cruise as we took the train from Amsterdam to Prague and spent a week. Loved Prague! The Baroque churches are drop dead gorgeous & the city also has a rich Jewish history. Great music venues to be had & the beer is great. So much to see - we hope to return next spring.
The best possible solution (time permitting) would be to visit Prague pre cruise and Munich post cruise. Both cities are easily reached via train.
There is also much to do in Munich - I second a day trip to Neuschwanstein (it is easily reached via train & the Bayern ticket will save you $$$).
We are also planning a Danube river cruise this October. We plan to arrive in Munich 5 days prior to our cruise (gonna visit Neuschwanstein again & also Dachau). At the conclusion of our tour, we are spending an additional 5 days in Budapest.
If you choose Munich, don't miss Marienplatz and the Rathaus Glockenspiel (tons to see in this historic center).

That is a hard choice....We did Prague for 4 days...then took the train to Munich for 3 days prior to our Danube from Passau......and stayed an extra 2 days in Budapest.....

[quote name='caripoo']That is a hard choice....We did Prague for 4 days...then took the train to Munich for 3 days prior to our Danube from Passau......and stayed an extra 2 days in Budapest.....[/quote]

With four days in Prague, can you recommend the highlights of your visit? We're planning three full days next June and want to make sure that we can fully experience the city and the outskirts.

Carolyn

We’d enjoyed Prague especailly with its grand architecture that hadn’t been destroyed in WWII (not bombed) and Old Town. Going to Munich next year after an Amsterdam-Basel Rhine Cruise an looking at all to do there.

Any Munich Hotel recommendations? We try to stay in the city center/old town areas and love European hotels, not necessarily US types.

In Prague, we stayed in Hotsel Metamorphis - in Old Town very close to the Amin square and Charles Bridge. 3 stories, large rooms, no elevatior but good help getting things up and down. well worth it.

Munich recommendations??

Den

The Charles Hotel in Munich is great, and just a few minutes from the Old Town. Very convenient to the Hauptbahnhof too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums mobile app[/URL]

Cool Cruiser....We had a private guide that did all the in and around the city stuff for us, he was really good. When we have not bee to a city before, I read and look on places like Viator, and see what trips they put together, then our TA finds a person for us....We also spent a day at Czesky Krumlov. This was not offered on our Viking cruise, now I see they are doing this on their Linz stop instead of Salzburg. Just saying, we ate alot of cheese , pretzels, beer, (they say beer is food in Germany) and schnitzle....We loved everything we did in Prague and Munich.....ENJOY