Costa Maya...beach club?

Summer Lovin

None of the beach clubs look very appealing..any suggestions, and have you ever had trouble with the taxi's?

No problem with taxis, except the long walk to locate them - through the port and outside. 5-10 minute drive to Mahahual.

Depends what you are looking for - beach bars are literally one after another along the malecon- take a walk and decide where to stop, or try one or two! Lots of recommendations for popular places on this board if you scroll down first page to get some names to look for.

None of the beach clubs look very appealing..any suggestions, and have you ever had trouble with the taxi's?

We enjoyed Maya Chan. It’s a little bit longer ride to get there, but more private than many of the other options. Their price included transportation and we had no issues finding the pickup location or getting back to port at the time we wanted.

Another option is one of Native Choice Tours that goes to the Bacalar Lagoon Resort on the Seven Colors Lagoon. We did the Extreme Tour that included a visit to Mayan ruins and the resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We enjoy going to Blue Kay because it's a lot bigger than the other beach clubs along the strip at the malecon. It also has decent snorkeling and shallow/calm water. It's gorgeous there. It's the first place you come to on the malecon. I have 2 reviews in my signature line of going there with TONS of pictures of the place if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

NO problems with the taxis.....and believe me I was worried that it would NOT go smoothly as my DH hates issues! But we used Nohoch Caye last trip and have them booked for October 2018. Great food, $8 cab ride and sort of at the "end" of the strip? So pretty private......really good food, I must have had 4 orders of guacamole and chips alone! Our drinks were always replenished....

Again, my husband is a "private cabana" sort of guy.....and had nothing but raves for this stop on our 14 day Caribbean trip this past October. He had fish tacos I believe? Along with lots of other stuff. There is no limit to food or drinks.....nice sand, palapas, loungers......and they limit the number of people. You DO have to reserve it advance but I have had to cancel in the past and they are quick to refund your deposit.

Just an option for you to consider.

• 5 months later...

We spent the day at an off the beaten path beach at Hotel Maya Luna.  It was wonderful! Very quiet- no beach vendors. We contacted them in advance and they set up chairs and a palapa for us. We had the place to ourselves! We had a delicious lunch- you must try the shrimp stuffed pineapple. The drinks were good too and very reasonable.  It was a little tough getting a taxi on the way back, though, so I would recommend you pre arrange the transportation.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, Vernoncruise said:

We spent the day at an off the beaten path beach at Hotel Maya Luna.  It was wonderful! Very quiet- no beach vendors. We contacted them in advance and they set up chairs and a palapa for us. We had the place to ourselves! We had a delicious lunch- you must try the shrimp stuffed pineapple. The drinks were good too and very reasonable.  It was a little tough getting a taxi on the way back, though, so I would recommend you pre arrange the transportation.

We have enjoyed some time at Maya Luna but the weather was bad and we were unable to use the beach. How is the sand and the seaweed?

1 hour ago, Vernoncruise said:

The sand was good. We didn’t see a lot of seaweed. It was a bit rough and rocky so maybe not the best for swimming but it was worth it for the solitude.

Thanks - that was our impression. I think we will give it another try some time.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:55 PM, mitsugirly said:

We enjoy going to Blue Kay because it's a lot bigger than the other beach clubs along the strip at the malecon. It also has decent snorkeling and shallow/calm water. It's gorgeous there. It's the first place you come to on the malecon. I have 2 reviews in my signature line of going there with TONS of pictures of the place if you are interested.

Is it an All Inclusive?  We did Barefoot and had a great time.  $78 for BOTH of us - all you could drink, chairs, and a great lunch.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:55 PM, chloemonkey said:

NO problems with the taxis.....and believe me I was worried that it would NOT go smoothly as my DH hates issues! But we used Nohoch Caye last trip and have them booked for October 2018. Great food, $8 cab ride and sort of at the "end" of the strip? So pretty private......really good food, I must have had 4 orders of guacamole and chips alone! Our drinks were always replenished....

Again, my husband is a "private cabana" sort of guy.....and had nothing but raves for this stop on our 14 day Caribbean trip this past October. He had fish tacos I believe? Along with lots of other stuff. There is no limit to food or drinks.....nice sand, palapas, loungers......and they limit the number of people. You DO have to reserve it advance but I have had to cancel in the past and they are quick to refund your deposit.

Who did you book through and what was the cost for an All Inclusive?  Many vendors?  What kind of beers did they have?

15 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Is it an All Inclusive?  We did Barefoot and had a great time.  $78 for BOTH of us - all you could drink, chairs, and a great lunch.

Look in to Maya Chan.  It's $59/each but includes your transportation.  For return visitors, it's just $50.  It's NOT on the main malecon which means no vendors, totally private, off the beaten path type place and they have a small pool you can use.  Extremely highly rated spot, I've been a few times and it's my favorite beach hangout probably anywhere in the world.  Includes drinks, food, snacks, water toys, everything.  You get not just chairs, you get your own private space, a palapa with chairs, day bed, and even a hammock.

The service is outstanding, you can't go 10 minutes without someone coming by to make sure you have all the food and drinks you could want (unobtrusively of course).  They'll even kayak out in the water to bring you drinks as you relax on a floating chair.  I'd prefer it over the busy/crowded and commercialized downtown spots. Plus they have a private bar area, the pool deck, and a nice little hidden massage spot for $25 massages.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

Just now, BNBR said:

Look in to Maya Chan.  It's $59/each but includes your transportation.  For return visitors, it's just $50.  It's NOT on the main malecon which means no vendors, totally private, off the beaten path type place and they have a small pool you can use.  Extremely highly rated spot, I've been a few times and it's my favorite beach hangout probably anywhere in the world.  Includes drinks, food, snacks, water toys, everything.  The service is outstanding, you can't go 10 minutes without someone coming by to make sure you have all the food and drinks you could want (unobtrusively of course).  They'll even kayak out in the water to bring you drinks as you relax on a floating chair.  I'd prefer it over the busy/crowded and commercialized downtown spots. Plus they have a private bar area, the pool deck, and a nice little hidden massage spot for $25 massages.

I already did, do not like the beach chairs so that is not an option for us.  Not sitting on a wooden chair all day and we hate day beds.  But thanks for the info

On 1/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, BNBR said:

Not appealing? Maya Chan is probably the highest rated beach club in the Caribbean... 

I know it is, but I looked at their website, hard wooden chairs just doesn't work.  We don't like daybeds.  If they would have had nice lounges, we probably would have tried it.

16 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I already did, do not like the beach chairs so that is not an option for us.  Not sitting on a wooden chair all day and we hate day beds.  But thanks for the info

They have loungers available.  Just ask.  Here is a picture of both loungers AND the wooden chairs WITH foot pieces.  To be honest, those wooden chairs with the foot stools are crazy comfy.  It's not just some "hard wooden chair".  I find the shape and angle of them WAY better than a traditional lounger.  Plus they recline if you want it flatter.  And I put my drink on the arm rest (they are big).

Grab my picture and email it to them and mention having loungers is required for you and see if they can accommodate.  They'll put up umbrellas for you, set you up with chairs you want, it's that kind of place.  Super accommodating.

mayachan-loungers.gif

20181231-091324.jpg

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 11:55 PM, chloemonkey said:

Thanks for the recommendation.  We looked at the website, know exactly where it is at as we did Barefoot Beach in December when we were there and took a walk down the beach and walked right past Nohoch Caye I think.  Anyway, we booked Nohoch Caye for our next cruise there in December.  Thanks again for the recommendation, I think we will like it there!  

3 hours ago, karena1 said:

Thanks for the recommendation.  We looked at the website, know exactly where it is at as we did Barefoot Beach in December when we were there and took a walk down the beach and walked right past Nohoch Caye I think.  Anyway, we booked Nohoch Caye for our next cruise there in December.  Thanks again for the recommendation, I think we will like it there!  

Not sure if you have seen them but Mitsugirly (posted above) has photo intensive reviews of Nohoch, Blue Kay, and others in her signature. Some maybe a little dated now.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 3:04 PM, BNBR said:

Look in to Maya Chan.  It's $59/each but includes your transportation.  For return visitors, it's just $50.  It's NOT on the main malecon which means no vendors, totally private, off the beaten path type place and they have a small pool you can use.  Extremely highly rated spot, I've been a few times and it's my favorite beach hangout probably anywhere in the world.  Includes drinks, food, snacks, water toys, everything.  You get not just chairs, you get your own private space, a palapa with chairs, day bed, and even a hammock.

The service is outstanding, you can't go 10 minutes without someone coming by to make sure you have all the food and drinks you could want (unobtrusively of course).  They'll even kayak out in the water to bring you drinks as you relax on a floating chair.  I'd prefer it over the busy/crowded and commercialized downtown spots. Plus they have a private bar area, the pool deck, and a nice little hidden massage spot for $25 massages.

It's been many years since we were at Maya Chan and I know cruisers really love this place. It has awesome service and the best food ever! They really cater to you for the day and the owners/staff are awesome! My only issue with this place was it's not your normal "beautiful Caribbean" type beach and water. Every picture and when we were there, the water has that brownish look. I know they work really hard to clean up the seaweed but it's just always looked brownish to me. I believe I inquired about this once and was told it's the area they are in and the way it flows or something?

When did they add a pool? Are there any pictures? I might be willing to give it another try again. They don't show a pool on their website or in any pictures I have seen. Also what type of water toys? Usually when someone states "water toys" they are usually the kind you climb on out in the ocean (like slides and such). Just trying to clarify.

Edited by mitsugirly

36 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

It's been many years since we were at Maya Chan and I know cruisers really love this place. It has awesome service and the best food ever! They really cater to you for the day and the owners/staff are awesome! My only issue with this place was it's not your normal "beautiful Caribbean" type beach and water. Every picture and when we were there, the water has that brownish look. I know they work really hard to clean up the seaweed but it's just always looked brownish to me. I believe I inquired about this once and was told it's the area they are in and the way it flows or something?

When did they add a pool? Are there any pictures? I might be willing to give it another try again. They don't show a pool on their website or in any pictures I have seen. Also what type of water toys? Usually when someone states "water toys" they are usually the kind you climb on out in the ocean (like slides and such). Just trying to clarify.

Water toys like kayaks, paddle boards only. Also floating chairs and a floating platform. 

The pool is a plunge pool and added weeks ago. I put pictures in another recent thread, on my phone or I'd add them here too.

You are right about the water. It's not going to be the clear Caribbean water everyday but I'd take that over a commercialized, vendor infested downtown malecon any day.  We go to other stops on our cruises and can get the clearer water elsewhere. It's still a perfectly fine sandy bottom beach. And when you kayak out, it's crystal clear. 

The place is so unique, off the beaten path, and relaxing that as you can see by the reviews, it more than makes up for the water not being perfect. 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, karena1 said:

we didn't do the all inclusive at Blue Kay, even if there were any. We are cheap, so we did the $10 per adult, which included a chaise and 2 drinks of your choice. We chose mojitos, and DS chose a Coke and a Fanta. :) All were good.

It was rustic, but pleasant and not crowded on that day, and to my surprise, my husband really liked it, so we are going back in April. DH is very picky.

On that day the water was beautiful, blue and clear. It was pretty windy, but sunny. We all enjoyed swimming and snorkeling. If you go to the rocks at the end of the beach to the left, you must wear water shoes, or you'll get hurt.

Oh, and wifi was great! Especially, if you walk back to the Blue Kay bar. Ask your server for the password.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I have to say - Mitsugirly's photos make Blue Kay look a lot better than it was. It wasn't bad, but it was a lot more rustic than her pictures show. And my DH was horrified by their bathroom.... And this is a man that doesn't get easily unsettled by 3rd world bathrooms.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I have to say - Mitsugirly's photos make Blue Kay look a lot better than it was. It wasn't bad, but it was a lot more rustic than her pictures show. And my DH was horrified by their bathroom.... And this is a man that doesn't get easily unsettled by 3rd world bathrooms.

Mitsugirly has a photo of the ladies restrooms, which looked fairly typical - were the mens' much worse? I am thinking of going with my grandson so it may be important?