Cost for food in specialty restaurants?

tuckersgirl

Is there a cost for food in the specialty restaurants above and beyond the upcharge to dine there?

I saw a photo of a menu for Cagney's on this board and it had prices beside each item. What's with that?

On Princess and HAL there is an upcharge to dine at a specialty restaurant, typically $39 now, but no additional food charges after that. On NCL??

In Cagneys there is a charge for each item, but no cover charge. You pay for what you order and that is it.

The same applies in Le Bistro, La Cucina and some others that are only on certain ships.

A fixed cover charge applies in some restaurants, principally Teppenyaki and Moderno.

If you have the dining package then it is all included (subject to certain rules like just one entree). You are charged one dining credit and the prices on the menu are not charged.

Edited by KeithJenner

Thanks Keith!

So if I have a SDP (Specialty Dining Package?), which specialty restaurants (on the Pearl in particular) does that apply to and what $ does it cover.

Sorry to sound so dumb but this is our first NCL cruise; have only done Princess and HAL before.

(And, I must say, NCL sounds particularly complicated and nickel-and-dimey. :-( )

Thanks Keith!

So if I have a SDP (Specialty Dining Package?), which specialty restaurants (on the Pearl in particular) does that apply to and what $ does it cover.

Sorry to sound so dumb but this is our first NCL cruise; have only done Princess and HAL before.

(And, I must say, NCL sounds particularly complicated and nickel-and-dimey. :-( )

On the Pearl, the dining package will cover Cagneys, Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppenyaki and Moderno. I haven’t been on the Pearl for a few years, but I can’t think of any restaurants that I’ve missed. It’s basically all the chargeable ones.

Everything will be covered unless you have multiple entrees. It is possible that your server may suggest that apps or desserts are restricted, but you will almost certainly not be charged if you were to order multiples of these (not that they are usually required in my opinion).

Many people say about nickel & diming. I suppose that depends on the individual. I have never felt that myself. Additional spending is optional and you can have a great time without spending much (or any) extra outside of the service charge, which we always prepay anyway.

Personally, I always make reservations in advance. I am quite happy to have these things fixed.

Others prefer to wait and see what they fancy having nearer the time. That does carry the risk of not being able to get into where you want at the time you want (or in the worst case, at any time). Being in a suite you are at less risk of that.

I always say, if in doubt, book it. You can always cancel or adjust bookings onboard.

Thanks Keith!

Website for Pearls Specialty restaurants:

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/pearl/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

The SDP covers your meals in Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina, Moderno, or Teppanyaki, regardless of "Ala Carte" or "Price Per Person". You will be told by wait staff if your order has items that are not included within the SDP package.

***There are exceptions in Le Bistro and Cagney's, limiting your selections as follows:

Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package.

I don't get the nickle and diming comment...OP stated that HAL and Princess was 39 bucks...obviously a charge with them too. Many get the UDP by just paying the gratuities....which seems to be much less than 39 bucks to me. I know, different lines different stuff....but the comment struck me as odd, that's all.

I have found the UDP and UBP to be an excellent deal, and if there was a charge of ANY kind, NCL was very clear to me and my Bride about that up front....

I would be interested in hearing the OP's comments re the Pearl post cruise...

Here's to a great cruise!

Thanks again!

So should I make reservations for those specialty restaurants before sailing or wait til we're onboard and have a concierge or butler to do it for us (from a suite)?

You can do this either way - preferably booking in advance that way you will definitely have the reserved

time and dining place.

If you wait till on board and use the Concierge for booking the time and place it may not be available for him

to arrange this. The longer you wait to have the Concierge do the booking the options are not so good.

Plan on making these reservations first thing on board - or in the Concierge lounge pre-boarding.

Above all give the Concierge the time to do his magic pulling the rabbit out hat.

Your Butler will merely pass on to the Concierge your dining reservation requests.

Best to have the foot in the door with an existing reservation to change or barter to something else.

Thanks Keith!

I think you will realize it’s not nickel and dimey at all. Most if not all that you pay for is only if you want to. And I think you will find the overall cost you spend will be similar if not cheaper than other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a cost for food in the specialty restaurants above and beyond the upcharge to dine there?

I saw a photo of a menu for Cagney's on this board and it had prices beside each item. What's with that?

On Princess and HAL there is an upcharge to dine at a specialty restaurant, typically $39 now, but no additional food charges after that. On NCL??

Some of the specialty restaurants on NCL are flat fee like on Princess and HAL, others are a la carte depending on what you purchase. Unless you really gorge yourself none of the a la carte should be more than the $39 you pay on Princess or HAL, and none of the fixed prices ones are that high.

Thanks for all your answers!

My "nickel and dimey" comment was based on my understanding that a specialty restaurant had a cover charge PLUS a l carte additional charges for some. Since that seems not to be the case (and I still don't understand which have a cover and which do not) I take that comment back and look forward to enjoying the SDP and formulating a different opinion of its nuances. :)clear.png?emoji-smile-1742clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

My "nickel and dimey" comment was based on my understanding that a specialty restaurant had a cover charge PLUS a l carte additional charges for some. Since that seems not to be the case (and I still don't understand which have a cover and which do not) I take that comment back and look forward to enjoying the SDP and formulating a different opinion of its nuances. :)clear.png?emoji-smile-1742clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Book the dining you think you will want, your concierge will print a list and leave it in your suite for you when you arrive. I took the list to the concierge when I wanted to make changes (we had extra complications of not being able to book shows & an itinerary change on the Bliss), was a helpful reminder of where we needed to be each day

I'm glad you took that comment back because saying stuff like that will not get you the double secret NCL handshake and password.

Go forth and proper. :D

On the Pearl, the restaurants that have a la carte pricing are Cagneys, Le Bistro and La Cucina. They have no cover charge. At Moderno and Teppanyaki you only pay a cover charge. They don't have a la carte pricing

...OP stated that HAL and Princess was 39 bucks...obviously a charge with them too.

I had a memory error about Princess' specialty restaurants too . . . some are $24.95 some $29.95 which includes grats (no separate gratuity assessment). None are a la carte.

I just made reservations for 3 specialties on our upcoming NCL.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up here, if you forgo the UDP and just opt for pay and dine (Al la carte) will your bill be the final total or is there a 18% charge on top of this? We will probably eat at le bistro and La cucina only which are fairly inexpensive imo, and might not be worth purchasing a 3 plan UDP i.e. 3 courses could be $20 whereas the udp works out at about $23 dollars a feed, granted small amounts but better in my pockets than someone else! ;)

Just a follow up here, if you forgo the UDP and just opt for pay and dine (Al la carte) will your bill be the final total or is there a 18% charge on top of this? We will probably eat at le bistro and La cucina only which are fairly inexpensive imo, and might not be worth purchasing a 3 plan UDP i.e. 3 courses could be $20 whereas the udp works out at about $23 dollars a feed, granted small amounts but better in my pockets than someone else! ;)

The 18% gratuity is charged on top of the menu prices.

It is certainly possible to keep the total charge down in Le Bistro and La Cucina, but you would need to order the relatively cheap items to do so. If you are going to pay per meal then it's worth making sure you know what you are going to order and check the menus when you get onboard. It would only need someone to decide that they do in fact want the steak and you could end up spending as much for those two meals as a 3 meal SDP costs. In that case you may as well get the package and have three meals.

Personally, I prefer to just get the package and then forget about prices on the menu. However, if you all know what you will order then, as you say, you may as well save those few dollars.

Yes thanks for this, the 18% charge seals the deal and we will just get the UDP also worth noting that it is $13 more expensive each to buy it here in the UK (online) than it will be onboard, so onboard it will be, and like you say it gets it out of the way and lets us dine freely. Thanks :D

Thanks again!

So should I make reservations for those specialty restaurants before sailing or wait til we're onboard and have a concierge or butler to do it for us (from a suite)?

being in a suite will not only help with reservations but you can also have the meals from the specialty dining delivered by your butler and eat en suite.

Excuse the minor correction but the dining plan is the SDP. UDP was a dining plan from years ago that had different terms/conditions.