HAL Air

S & LS

Hi everyone

What do you know about seat selections when using HAL Air? How far in advance can this be done?

Is it possible to upgrade to premium coach? Any Idea of the cost? We are using HAL Air for a flight to Barcelona

Thanks

Lynn & Steve

We've used Flight Ease many times with very positive results. Unfortunately, seat selection is mostly the domain of the airline. If the airline you choose allows seat selection at time of booking then you can do so, either directly with HAL or you can use your booking number and do it with the airline. Some airlines will not allow seat selection until 45 days prior to your flight and HAL can't change that. We've been fortunate in that we've done our seat selection within 24 hours of booking with Flight Ease.

It probably varies on what airline you are using. The last time I used it I booked premium coach with HAL on KLM and was offered a partial upgrade to business (one half of a connecting flight) on checkin.

Roy

Hi everyone

What do you know about seat selections when using HAL Air? How far in advance can this be done?

Is it possible to upgrade to premium coach? Any Idea of the cost? We are using HAL Air for a flight to Barcelona

Thanks

Lynn & Steve

I booked economy class through HAL for a flight from Vancouver to LA and within 24 hours of booking the cruise and air with HAL (which was about 8 months before the cruise) I was able to log directly into the airlines to select my seats. When I selected premium economy seats on the aircraft seat map, it worked just like it does when you book directly with the airline. I was able to give the airline a credit card number for the upgrade portion of the reservation. Everything worked fine at the airport. No issues.

We have used HAL Flight Ease multiple times. On one cruise, we needed a one-way to Venice. We got a premium economy fare of $780 vs. $2100 by booking ourselves. We booked the air with HAL about 5 months out, and we immediately got the airline (British Airways) record locator number. We were able to select our seats right on BA's website. We didn't have to pay for the air until cruise final payment date. We booked a cruise in March 2019 departing out of San Diego. We wanted first class air from Tampa. The Flight Ease price was very close to what we could get by booking ourselves, but the huge advantage is we have a confirmed reservation, with a record locator number for selecting seats, but don't have to pay until final payment date. That is a big advantage. If you book on your own, you must pay immediately for the air, but your cruise can still be cancelled up to 75 days before sailing. One-way international flights are amazingly cheap with HAL's Flight Ease. Domestic round trips are usually about the same as booking yourself, but the advantage in both cases is the ability to defer payment until you plunk down the big bucks for the cruise.

From what I have read, it seems only AA’s won’t allow seat selection until HAL makes final payment. If there are any other airlines with that policy it would be good to get a heads up.

From what I have read, it seems only AA’s won’t allow seat selection until HAL makes final payment. If there are any other airlines with that policy it would be good to get a heads up.
Air Canada (affiliated with AA) does not and neither does Westjet.

We have used Hal`s flight ease once for a one way flight from Australia and once for travel in the US and it has worked as TAD2005 and rkacruiser has stated with no problems. We are booked now for one way travel to Europe in Oct. and we have our seats already too. The amazing thing about it, there was no paper work and it was a scary thought at first but all went as planned. Thank you Hal.

Our flights were with Virgin Australia and Delta, we got our seats at the time of booking, no extra cost that I know of.

Edited by boards

Air Canada (affiliated with AA) does not and neither does Westjet.

I'm confused, as you seem to be contradicting your May 31 post where you stated:

Totally agree with you. British airways and Westjet always let us choose, but Air Canada will not. This is not a fault of Flight East, it's the airline policy.

I'm confused, as you seem to be contradicting your May 31 post where you stated:

Totally agree with you. British airways and Westjet always let us choose, but Air Canada will not. This is not a fault of Flight East, it's the airline policy.

Sorry, Westjet does NOT! My error in original post. Air Canada does not.

Sorry, Westjet does NOT! My error in original post. Air Canada does not.

Darn, I was considering Westjet for an upcoming European flight, but I do like to be able to reserve our seats. Thanks for the clarification.

Darn, I was considering Westjet for an upcoming European flight, but I do like to be able to reserve our seats. Thanks for the clarification.
However, since Westjet does now fly to the UK and Ireland, they might have changed this policy. We always fly Westjet to the U.S. and domestic and even the Caribbean. Please check with Westjet because it might be different for Europe.

However, since Westjet does now fly to the UK and Ireland, they might have changed this policy. We always fly Westjet to the U.S. and domestic and even the Caribbean. Please check with Westjet because it might be different for Europe.

Good idea. We too usually fly Westjet, taking full advantage of the Westjet Master Card's annual companion flight, free first checked bag, etc..

Good idea. We too usually fly Westjet, taking full advantage of the Westjet Master Card's annual companion flight, free first checked bag, etc..

So, I take it you like Westjet? We just booked our first flight on it for Oct. and was a bit concerned, as I know nothing about it (a friend did recommend it though).

Any tips for flying them?

So, I take it you like Westjet? We just booked our first flight on it for Oct. and was a bit concerned, as I know nothing about it (a friend did recommend it though).

Any tips for flying them?

Westjet is our first choice airline. Comfortable leather seats. Really good service onboard. Flights are most always on time. Aircraft just seem larger with more legroom. I just wish they flew to more destinations in Europe, especially Italy. Hopefully, that will come in the future. Highly recommend Westjet!

Miss G

This seems to be the problem. Our TA suggests that we authorize HA to charge us and pay for the air now and then this should allow us to do the seats. HA's policy is not to pay AA until 45 days prior to the flight. This then may be too late to avoid center seats and premium coach upgrades. The only possible drawback to paying now makes the air non cancelable but that is why we always take insurance

Thanks for your imput

Steve

Westjet is our first choice airline. Comfortable leather seats. Really good service onboard. Flights are most always on time. Aircraft just seem larger with more legroom. I just wish they flew to more destinations in Europe, especially Italy. Hopefully, that will come in the future. Highly recommend Westjet!

Pretty much my thoughts too, and we've had nothing but positives to say about the planes and crews.

My only complaint is that some routes and schedules are a bit questionable, particularly if you don't live in Toronto or the GTA. For example, for a Boston - Montreal cruise on the Maasdam, we wanted to drive to Montreal and then fly to Boston. Air Canada had a quick direct flight, but Westjet's only option was to fly from Montreal to Toronto, then back to Boston. Two long legs of a triangle rather than one short.

Pretty much my thoughts too, and we've had nothing but positives to say about the planes and crews.

My only complaint is that some routes and schedules are a bit questionable, particularly if you don't live in Toronto or the GTA. For example, for a Boston - Montreal cruise on the Maasdam, we wanted to drive to Montreal and then fly to Boston. Air Canada had a quick direct flight, but Westjet's only option was to fly from Montreal to Toronto, then back to Boston. Two long legs of a triangle rather than one short.

We always fly out of Pearson in Toronto, so never experienced this. It would certainly be a deal breaker for us.

Well, I will chime in and it looks like experiences vary or YMMV with flight ease.

I used flight ease for my cruise that I just left.

Flew from Saint John NB (which is puddle hopper territory) to Fort Lauderdale. Had the flight I wanted and the seats were chosen. In fact, I went in later and upgraded the economy segment to preferred seats with no problem. Our connecting flight was Air Canada Rouge and that was no problem as well. That's Air Canada.

For our return flight we were on KLM, we were able to choose our seats on booking and I liked them so kept them. I could have gone in and changed if I wanted (I checked) and I did upgrade my A/C connection to preferred for more leg room since we were coming back at 2 am (turned out to be 3 AM).

No issue with seat selection at all with Air Canada or KLM and the flights I had chosen were readily accessible.

Flights were booked nearly a year out from our cruise - as soon as they were available.

Well, I will chime in and it looks like experiences vary or YMMV with flight ease.

I used flight ease for my cruise that I just left.

Flew from Saint John NB (which is puddle hopper territory) to Fort Lauderdale. Had the flight I wanted and the seats were chosen. In fact, I went in later and upgraded the economy segment to preferred seats with no problem. Our connecting flight was Air Canada Rouge and that was no problem as well. That's Air Canada.

For our return flight we were on KLM, we were able to choose our seats on booking and I liked them so kept them. I could have gone in and changed if I wanted (I checked) and I did upgrade my A/C connection to preferred for more leg room since we were coming back at 2 am (turned out to be 3 AM).

No issue with seat selection at all with Air Canada or KLM and the flights I had chosen were readily accessible.

Flights were booked nearly a year out from our cruise - as soon as they were available.

It looks like everyone has a different experience! Perhaps it's based on the flight and what type of aircraft? I have no idea why this is not more reliable. We'll be booking our Rome flights soon for our Med cruise with Flight Ease, so I guess I'll see how that works out.

It looks like everyone has a different experience! Perhaps it's based on the flight and what type of aircraft? I have no idea why this is not more reliable. We'll be booking our Rome flights soon for our Med cruise with Flight Ease, so I guess I'll see how that works out.

I hope it works well for you.

I am kind of wondering if it depends upon whom you are booking with? At the time of my booking I had a super PCC so I am wondering if she went the extra mile and others don't? Not sure, just surmising. My booking for both legs took less than 7 minutes.

Good luck with your booking.

I plan to use FCC miles next time, for now. I'll see what HAL offers.

Someone's info on American Airlines is wrong. Our TA booked us a round trip using HAL's Flight Ease from Tampa to San Diego outbound on March 8, 2019 and returning on April 6, 2019. Outbound flight was on Delta, through ATL. Return was on American through DFW. We booked the flights on May 15, 2018, and we immediately received Delta and American record locator numbers. Going into both airline websites, we saw our reservations, were able to select our seats, and specify our FF numbers for each airline. The airfare payment is due at the same time the cruise payment is due, 75 days prior to sailing. All HAL cruises require final payment 75 days, and sometimes more, days out. It's never 45 days.