Cruise Critic Community
emarismom

Hilo Help!!

I will be on the POA next week. Since we will now be sailing to Hilo and VNP is not an option, I have booked a helicopter tour. The tour is scheduled for 11:20 and lasts an hour. They will return us to the ship after the tour. That gives me 4 hours in port. What can I reasonably do in that time. Can I go into the downtown area? What should I visit and how should I do it? UBER or taxi?? Please help.

Plan on more than 1 hour for the helicopter...it takes a while to get everyone weighed and seated properly...yes...they have to distribute the weight of passengers evenly! It takes some time! So, be flexible with your remaining time!

I've actually walked "downtown", not much there bur a very nice museum. There is a nice park with Banyans, off Banyan Drive.

Plan on more than 1 hour for the helicopter...it takes a while to get everyone weighed and seated properly...yes...they have to distribute the weight of passengers evenly! It takes some time! So, be flexible with your remaining time!

and they do make you step on a scale when you check in. Some folks don't like this, and didn't notice this when reserving their flight and are surprised when they show up, but it has to be done as cb said to get the weight right. I got lucky and got to sit up front next to the pilot. :D

Our pick up time is actually 10:40 for our 11:20 flight, so hopefully we will be back to the ship by 12:45, grab a quick lunch and head out for two or three more hours. Is UBER of Lyft available? I know there are shuttles, will they be running that late?

I love Hilo. Looks like old Hawaii. The Pacific Tsunami Museum is very good, and just walking around looking at the architecture can be very pleasant.

I will be on the POA next week. Since we will now be sailing to Hilo and VNP is not an option, I have booked a helicopter tour. The tour is scheduled for 11:20 and lasts an hour. They will return us to the ship after the tour. That gives me 4 hours in port. What can I reasonably do in that time. Can I go into the downtown area? What should I visit and how should I do it? UBER or taxi?? Please help.

Hi Michelle

Did your June POA cruise take you to both Hilo and Kona or since there seems be a lot of confusion as to if or not POA is going to both or only one of these ports on the big island

Appreciate your feedback on this assuming you already did your POA cruise

Thanks much for your help

Tushar

We visited both Hilo and Kona last week. Included a nighttime sail-by of the volcano before we turned around and headed around to Kona.