Live from Viking Sun "Into the Midnight Sun" June 12 - 26

russg140

..... Something to note: if you’re taking an independent tour (i.e. not booked through Viking) they will tell you that you have to wait until the tour groups leave, but if you do (and your tour leaves at 8:30 like ours) you will miss your tour. We explained to the security person our situation and he let us go. Just FYI.

Any questions just ask!

I find this unusual. I have cruised with Viking twice. Have done OYO walkabouts, off the ship excursions and ship excursions both included and fee and have never experienced this type of action. I have read about it on other lines but not Viking. I just was on a cruise in May so this might be a new policy but I find it surprising.

Who is the nighttime bartender in the Explorer's Lounge now? The primary ones from our WC I think all got off when we did in London. I hope your new Captain and Cruise Director are as wonderful as those from earlier. Some of the crew were staying onboard long after we disembarked on 5May! Sure miss the daily adventures and the wonderful crew!

this is a general cruise comment, from observations during cruising for over 30 years …..

- the itinerary 'arrival' time is REALLY the time they expect the gangway to be opened … ship cleared by authorities and you are free to come and go. Ships almost ALWAYS arrive WELL before this time and go thru the process of 'clearance'. often ships arrive 3 or 4 HOURS b4 the posted "arrival" cuz lord knows folks want to get OFF as soon as "arrival time" arrives …. (ala the RUSH to get off an airplane!! where arrival is at the gate .. not time landed)

- departure time is a different thing …. this is all most always purty darn accurate and the 'all aboard time' is usually pretty close to the same time. Again I'll refer to an airplane …. this is "push back time" …. gate closed and we're moving.

Great information! Thanks Capt BJ and Dauntless (and anyone else I missed, sorry!).

It's going to be an adjustment for me going back to an ocean cruise after being spoiled by the longer times in port we've mostly experienced on river cruises. Of course at the moment the times seem a bit short. During the actual cruise, I'll probably be beat after a long day in port and happy to return to the ship (and the air conditioning!). :D

Thank you and happy sails to you!

Karen

thanks so much for all your comments. You mentioned taking the RIB boat in Geiranger and I was wondering if it was worth it since Viking shows you the same things?

Linda and Don Smith

June 30th sailing.

As I have for other previous cruises, and since I didn't see any recent "live" thread, I thought I would begin chronicalling our journey. Today (June 10) we fly Norwegian from JFK to OSL and connect to a flight to BGO, arriving in Bergen on Monday afternoon. We board Viking Sun on Tuesday and overnight in Bergen. As we go along please ask me any questions you might have about the trip that I haven't written about (ship, shore excursions, food, etc.) and I'll do my best to answer them.

I don’t think you can be on the Viking Sun as it I was on it in Aalborg on Tuesday. We docked in Bergen yesterday, (Friday 15th) on the Homelands Cruise which finished today. Now at the airport. We loved it!

Enjoy your trip whichever ship you are on!

Who is the nighttime bartender in the Explorer's Lounge now? The primary ones from our WC I think all got off when we did in London. I hope your new Captain and Cruise Director are as wonderful as those from earlier. Some of the crew were staying onboard long after we disembarked on 5May! Sure miss the daily adventures and the wonderful crew!

The bartender is Arjun and the three main servers are Vladimir, Purwa and Gorman. They are all awesome! Drew is our CD. I can’t say who our Captain is but he’s great about keeping us up to date with what’s happening in terms of the ship.

thanks so much for all your comments. You mentioned taking the RIB boat in Geiranger and I was wondering if it was worth it since Viking shows you the same things?

Linda and Don Smith

June 30th sailing.

Great question! We booked both with GFS because they offered a discount if we booked both with them. Yes, I’m sure we saw the same things.

I don’t think you can be on the Viking Sun as it I was on it in Aalborg on Tuesday. We docked in Bergen yesterday, (Friday 15th) on the Homelands Cruise which finished today. Now at the airport. We loved it!

Enjoy your trip whichever ship you are on!

You’re right BD. Someone else had pointed out my error earlier, we are on the Sea. I got my Sea and sun mixed up. LOL!

[so since we decided to stay on the ship yesterday in Molde we did a couple of fun things: first we spent a little over an hour in the Spa pool area. Here you have a pool, various jacuzzis, steam room, shower, ice bucket shower (it is COOOOOLD!) and the famous snow grotto. The warm tile loungers were delightful to relax on. We were the only ones there! After we used the Viking Art app to walk around the ship and look at the variety of artwork throughout the vessel. Note: Remember to download this app and the Viking Journey app prior to embarkation. The Viking Journey app gives you tons of information and keeps your “My Viking Journey” including your My Calendar right at your fingertips. This also includes the daily dinner menu from The Restaurant. Very handy!

We left Molde on time and the Captain told us that our route would take us into the open seas and that there would be movement. He didn’t lie, as there was some pitching and rolling for about 1 1/2 hours, but it didn’t bother us. It calmed down but picked back up in the middle of the night. Another awesome dinner in The Restaurant including a beautifully cut and cooked Prime Rib. FYI: we eat between 8:00-8:30 and never have a problem getting a great table and the food is always fresh and hot.

Today we are “at sea” sailing among the little islands on our way to Tromso. Oh! Today’s Viking Today listed both Sunrise and Sunset as “Midnight Sun” - our first day of 24 hour full sun!

Edited by russg140
Add photo

[so since we decided to stay on the ship yesterday in Molde we did a couple of fun things: first we spent a little over an hour in the Spa pool area. Here you have a pool, various jacuzzis, steam room, shower, ice bucket shower (it is COOOOOLD!) and the famous snow grotto. The warm tile loungers were delightful to relax on. We were the only ones there! After we used the Viking Art app to walk around the ship and look at the variety of artwork throughout the vessel. Note: Remember to download this app and the Viking Journey app prior to embarkation. The Viking Journey app gives you tons of information and keeps your “My Viking Journey” including your My Calendar right at your fingertips. This also includes the daily dinner menu from The Restaurant. Very handy!

We left Molde on time and the Captain told us that our route would take us into the open seas and that there would be movement. He didn’t lie, as there was some pitching and rolling for about 1 1/2 hours, but it didn’t bother us. It calmed down but picked back up in the middle of the night. Another awesome dinner in The Restaurant including a beautifully cut and cooked Prime Rib. FYI: we eat between 8:00-8:30 and never have a problem getting a great table and the food is always fresh and hot.

Today we are “at sea” sailing among the little islands on our way to Tromso. Oh! Today’s Viking Today listed both Sunrise and Sunset as “Midnight Sun” - our first day of 24 hour full sun!

How was the temperature in the Thermal Pool? And is it salt water in the pool?

Will be following. Our cruise is from London to Bergen on July 14 on the Star.

I am most interested in hearing about the shore excursions, how far the ship is from town, are shuttles provided, etc.

Have a wonderful trip.

Sharon

What specifically would you like to know about the shore excursions? Today in Tromso was the first day Viking offered shuttles. In Geiranger we tendered in and in Molde we ere right in town. The shuttle today took about 10 minutes to the drop off point.

In general the included shore excursions are the most popular. Today’s had 8 groups (which equates to 400 guests/50% assuming the buses are full). It seems the more active excursions are not well booked and, like ours yesterday, are subject to cancellation.

Yea! Happy travels!

I'm curious as to how accurate the arrival times seem and how quickly after the ship arrives in a port people are able to disembark. Obviously it would depend on whether you're taking the ship's excursions and if it is necessary to tender. I'm just wondering since I'm spoiled from our last two cruises which were Viking River cruises. :D

The wait and hassle of disembarking was probably my biggest complaint about the bigger ocean ships (although Viking Ocean is about half the size of the other ocean ships I've tried.

Thanks and have a wonderful time! I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Karen

Karen,

The arrival times have been spot on. Our departure from Geiranger was delayed due to weather. Ship excursions get priority for disembarkation over independent tours. We had this happen and explained our situation to the security personnel, who let us off.

Russ

I've also contemplated this itinerary, so will eagerly await your reports.

I'm interested in the details of how the days are organized, and how the tours are, and whether you think the itinerary is sufficiently in-depth.

Also, how was it connecting to Bergen, and embarking? How was your experience with Viking Corporate, or did you deal through a TA? The business model of Viking is one of the things that deters me from trying them, so interested in the experience of others.

Wendy

Tell me more about what you mean about how the days are organized, not sure I understand. In depth? From what standpoint? I would have to say Viking offers something for everyone as far as shore excursions go.

We arrived a day early, but a lot of people arrived same day. I didn’t hear any grumbling about the transfer situation. We dealt with Viking directly and didn’t have a problem. Not sure what would deter you.

Russ

I am curious about Molde. We currently have the Trollstigen and Trollveggen tour booked but are considering canceling it. If you have time can you post something about Molde? What there is to do. Hikes, scenery, etc.? Thank you! All of us on future sailings certainly appreciate the information!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Elizabeth

I apologize for not replying sooner.

We had booked a waterfall hike that, due to the lack of participants, was cancelled. So instead we walked around town and were back on board in 20 minutes. Nothing really interesting in town. If you have a tour booked that you find interesting, then I would say stick with it. My understanding is that most of the ship’s tours took people out of town.

Russ

How was the temperature in the Thermal Pool? And is it salt water in the pool?

The pool in the Spa was very comfortable temperature-wise and all the pools are a mixture os fresh/chlorinated water. Even the Infinity pool was swimable today (in Tromso, temperatures in the low 60’s).

Russ

In Tromso, it appears that the Sea is docked at Breivka, a ways out of town. Were there shuttles to/from port and town?

TL

Yes. Complimentary shuttles were available for the 10 minute ride into town.

Russ

So as previously noted we are in Tromso today, having crossed the Arctic Circle around 3:00 p.m. The ship held a Blue Nose ceremony (similar to the Neptune Ceremony held when crossing the Equator). The jacuzzi next to the main pool was filled with ice and people who wanted to could dunk themselves in and when they got out they were given a dollop of blue-dyed whipped egg whites on their nose and a small shot of aquavit. Tons of folks participated! Yesterday afternoon we booked time with Sharon, the future cruise consultant, who is very knowledgeable about Viking, both River and Ocean. Long story short: we booked a Venice to Athens cruise for September ‘20. She’s booked solid, so if you are thinking of booking another cruise get on her schedule early.

Once again I have to say that dinner in The Restaurant was amazing, including probably the best tuna tartare I’ve ever had and sea bass perfectly cooked and served with a simple lemon, caper and parsley sauce. Trust me, if you don’t make it to Manfredi’s or CT you won’t be disappointed.

OH! We got a notice that they were offering the Kitchen Table event on our day in Edinburgh. Shopping with the chef, etc for $249 p.p. There’s so much to do and see in Edinburgh that I find it strange they would pick this day to do it. If they offered it in Molde we would have been first to sign up.

After dinners once again in the Explorers Lounge. If I didn’t mention it before all of the musicians they have playing here (string trio, guitarist and pianist) are all excellent!

Woke up to Sun! Wel, it’s always sunny now, but “ no clouds” is what I mean. After breakfast we hopped the shuttle to meet for our (independently arranged) RIB Adventure. We booked this one, instead of the one offered by Viking, because it was $75p.p. less expensive. It was fantastic! After we walked around for a bit. NOTE: everything in Tromso is closed on Sundays. Just FYI.

Now back onboard. Had a nice lunch at the Pool Grilll and took a swim in the Infinity pool. Hanging by the Main pool before heading off for a manicure. Then almost time to eat again!

Sharon

What specifically would you like to know about the shore excursions? Today in Tromso was the first day Viking offered shuttles. In Geiranger we tendered in and in Molde we ere right in town. The shuttle today took about 10 minutes to the drop off point.

In general the included shore excursions are the most popular. Today’s had 8 groups (which equates to 400 guests/50% assuming the buses are full). It seems the more active excursions are not well booked and, like ours yesterday, are subject to cancellation.

Thank you for all the replies. RE, excursions, I was wondering if they were drive by's or walking tours. Your info about tendering and shuttles is a big help. I am making notes on my trip summary page that I printed :D.

So as previously noted we are in Tromso today, having crossed the Arctic Circle around 3:00 p.m. The ship held a Blue Nose ceremony (similar to the Neptune Ceremony held when crossing the Equator). The jacuzzi next to the main pool was filled with ice and people who wanted to could dunk themselves in and when they got out they were given a dollop of blue-dyed whipped egg whites on their nose and a small shot of aquavit. Tons of folks participated! Yesterday afternoon we booked time with Sharon, the future cruise consultant, who is very knowledgeable about Viking, both River and Ocean. Long story short: we booked a Venice to Athens cruise for September ‘20. She’s booked solid, so if you are thinking of booking another cruise get on her schedule early.

Once again I have to say that dinner in The Restaurant was amazing, including probably the best tuna tartare I’ve ever had and sea bass perfectly cooked and served with a simple lemon, caper and parsley sauce. Trust me, if you don’t make it to Manfredi’s or CT you won’t be disappointed.

OH! We got a notice that they were offering the Kitchen Table event on our day in Edinburgh. Shopping with the chef, etc for $249 p.p. There’s so much to do and see in Edinburgh that I find it strange they would pick this day to do it. If they offered it in Molde we would have been first to sign up.

After dinners once again in the Explorers Lounge. If I didn’t mention it before all of the musicians they have playing here (string trio, guitarist and pianist) are all excellent!

Woke up to Sun! Wel, it’s always sunny now, but “ no clouds” is what I mean. After breakfast we hopped the shuttle to meet for our (independently arranged) RIB Adventure. We booked this one, instead of the one offered by Viking, because it was $75p.p. less expensive. It was fantastic! After we walked around for a bit. NOTE: everything in Tromso is closed on Sundays. Just FYI.

Now back onboard. Had a nice lunch at the Pool Grilll and took a swim in the Infinity pool. Hanging by the Main pool before heading off for a manicure. Then almost time to eat again!

Loving your live reports. Your dinner sounds wonderful. I too loved the food in the MDR. They do know how to prepare fish!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your great info.

Just a quick question, what perks are there for booking while on board? I've seen other posts, but they seem to vary so curious what the current bonuses are for booking on board.

I hope you are doing the Empires of Mediterranean. We did this in Dec 2016. It was the best cruise we have been on so far. Make sure you spend extra time in Venice. It is easy to do on your own and much cheaper then Viking pre-stay.

Thank you for all the replies. RE, excursions, I was wondering if they were drive by's or walking tours. Your info about tendering and shuttles is a big help. I am making notes on my trip summary page that I printed :D.

Most of the included trips are bus tours, meaning you get in a bus, drive around, hear a little history, stop for a photo or two and come back to the ship. I personally haven’t heard any complaints.

Russ