Cruise Critic Community
Lem_On_Ade

Bees in Dominican Republic

Hey Everyone! My aunt and uncle will be cruising with us for the first time in January and we have a stop in Amber Cove. My husband and I plan on doing the waterfall excursion but my uncle is a bit apprehensive about that because he has a very severe allergy to bees. I've never noticed a problem with bees on any island that I've been to but I probably also wouldn't notice since I do not have an allergy. Could you please give me some insight, does anyone have any experience in DR that also has a bee allergy? We are wondering if he would be better off doing a different excursion. Obviously, he will have his epi pen with him, but would rather not be put in a situation where he would have to use it. Thanks!!

I would think that January would be safer than summer months as most of the plants will not be in full bloom. Just a guess.

We were just there in May and plants were in full bloom everywhere, but I don't recall seeing a bee, but then I am not allergic. Just take the epi with you.

I was there in May too, and don't remember seeing bees-we were told that there were no poisonous bugs, or snakes, but they did have a problem with crocodiles.....take the epi pen no matter what you do- the question to him would be, if the pen works after getting wet, as the waterfalls do include participation.

I definitely saw a few hovering around trashcans etc, but other than that didn't notice any at all, and I am both bee phobic and allergic.

I notice.