Britannia - Breakfast Buffett

madmedic

Hi we are on Britannia in a few weeks. One thing we look forward to is a good buffet breakfast. Having never sailed with P&O before don't know what to expect having heard a rumour of no egg/omelette station which was the case with other lines we've experienced. Perhaps we would be better off in the MDR.

This is very much a 1st world problem I know.

They have a couple of omelette stations which are made to order with onions, mushrooms, peppers, cheese and tomatoes. They also have an area where you can order poached eggs as well. The buffet has everything you would expect for cooked breakfast and all cereals etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi we are on Britannia in a few weeks. One thing we look forward to is a good buffet breakfast. Having never sailed with P&O before don't know what to expect having heard a rumour of no egg/omelette station which was the case with other lines we've experienced. Perhaps we would be better off in the MDR.

This is very much a 1st world problem I know.

I would always choose the MDR over the buffet because I think it gives a more civilised start to the day. You can have full English or any parts thereof and eggs a plenty if that is your choice.

One thing we look forward to is a good buffet breakfast.

I fear you may be disappointed. The buffet is never that great, with the food usually being lukewarm. Better in the MDR, and although that can be hit and miss it is easier to send the waiter back to get something better.

Also, I prefer to eat just with my husband for breakfast. Don't want to make conversation at that time of the morning with strangers.

So just ask to sit at a table for two for breakfast (or lunch)? Whatever you are allocated in the evening is irrelevant at breakfast and lunch.

They have a couple of omelette stations which are made to order with onions, mushrooms, peppers, cheese and tomatoes. They also have an area where you can order poached eggs as well. The buffet has everything you would expect for cooked breakfast and all cereals etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Alan

Will definitely give it a try bearing in mind the comments and breakfast outside is always appealing (perhaps not in the Fjords though!):):)

and I would always choose the buffet and eat outside. Also, I prefer to eat just with my husband for breakfast. Don't want to make conversation at that time of the morning with strangers.

No need to have to make conversation with strangers in the MDR at breakfast. Tables for 2 are readily available. We’ve never had to wait for one on any ship.

Thanks Alan

Will definitely give it a try bearing in mind the comments and breakfast outside is always appealing (perhaps not in the Fjords though!):):)

Why not the view would be fantastic and the weather can be just as good if not better than the UK.

Why not the view would be fantastic and the weather can be just as good if not better than the UK.

WE are sailing to Norway in a months time. The weather forecast suggests an average on 16 degree Celsius. That is not warm enough to sit out on a balcony unless you are dressed in polor gear!

Some of our best “outdoor” breakfasts were when cruising the Norwegian fjords. It might not be hot but who wants hot when you are eating .... the air seemed so clean and the scenery was unfailingly outstanding.

MDR breakfast is lovely...a holiday treat is a leisurely brekkie. Juices, smoothies, lovely croissants, cereals, fully cooked english..whatever you desire is there plus lashings of tea or coffee. Just remember to order exactly what you want otherwise you will only get one of each...eg: if you want 3 sausages you have to say 3 sausages, 2 eggs, 2 hash browns you get the picture. If you are in a hurry on a port day, buffet has grab and go which is handy...or for an early wake up, room service breakfast is free ) albeit somewhat limited but you can have toast and juices and pastries and cereal so ample imho.

My problem with breakfast in the MDR is the timing. It is FAR TOO EARLY. To stop serving at 9 or 9.30 on holiday is ridiculous. I never eat that early at home, and have no intention of getting up early on holiday just to have more food.

A good thing about buffet breakfast is the availability of eggs benedict, or variations thereof. At least on Britannia. They will have to hunted out as there are only 2 or 3 on display, but are there. Nearly everyday I was asked by passengers where to get them from when they saw mine.

In the MDR they are only available once a week.

My problem with breakfast in the MDR is the timing. It is FAR TOO EARLY. To stop serving at 9 or 9.30 on holiday is ridiculous. I never eat that early at home, and have no intention of getting up early on holiday just to have more food.

We enjoy MDR breakfast but I completely agree with you regarding timings. It is a source of irritation to me that it ends so early when you are on holiday. I am a very early riser at home but sleep like a baby on a cruise ship and struggle to get going first thing in the morning!

I really enjoy the MDR breakfast, itsy so relaxing and civilised. Conversely I hate going to the cattle market, free for all, stressful and fighting for seats.

Unfortunately on port days Mrs Mickrory insists on the buffet so I dine alone in the MDR.

I avoid the buffet throughout the cruise at all cost.

Sent from my CUBOT MAGIC using Forums mobile app

A good thing about buffet breakfast is the availability of eggs benedict, or variations thereof. At least on Britannia. They will have to hunted out as there are only 2 or 3 on display, but are there. Nearly everyday I was asked by passengers where to get them from when they saw mine.

In the MDR they are only available once a week.

EB only shown on the menu once a week,but surely you can request one at anytime.If not,well I'm speechless,lol.

EB only shown on the menu once a week,but surely you can request one at anytime.If not,well I'm speechless,lol.

I'm sure you can ask, not sure if you will get.

Last cruise table mate asked for chocolate ice cream for dessert every day. She never got. Eggs Benedict harder to make at short notice than obtain chocolate ice cream I would have thought.

How is the fried bread these days? It is over two years since I last cruised with P&O and they had changed the fried bread to not so nice little circular pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No worries, it's probably the same 2 year old slices,lol.

How is the fried bread these days? It is over two years since I last cruised with P&O and they had changed the fried bread to not so nice little circular pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Still round very crispy and if it gets anywhere within six foot of a knife it shatters across the plate. Even so it tastes nice on Aurora but I wasn't impressed with the taste on Britannia.

How do you order breakfast in your cabin? Leave a menu out, ring up or ask your room steward? Quite fancy the idea of doing that on days we have excursions booked. Do they take long to be delivered?

You will have menus in your cabin. You fill them out, and indicate a half hour time slot, and leave them outside your door the evening before. You can only order a continental style breakfast, with cereal etc. You won't get an'English ' style cooked breakfast in your cabin.

I find it doesn't save any time in the morning, because I need to be up and ready for the beginning of the time slot, and maybe then wait till the end of the time slot for it to arrive. If there are two (or more) of you you could take turns in the bathroom, but that option is not open to me.