Norwegian Sky Cuba Overnight & Bahamas Review (6/4-6/8)

Cruiser_1977

About Us: We are both 40. This is not the first cruise for either of us. Travel buddy had been on NCL before, I had not.

Pre-Cruise: Flew in the morning of embarkation. DC to FLL. Lyft to the Port. No issues. We flew direct so I wasn't too worried about delays/timing. Also, I left 6 hours in case of delays. I also stalked the flights for their history of on-time, etc.

Embarkation: We arrived at 12ish. Annoyed that an NCL staffer said we needed our printed "tickets". We got out of line while I retrieved ours. We had already pulled them up on our phones. The printed copy was NOT needed. They had us fill out the health form. Handed us our Visas, sail and sign card and away we went. About 20 min from drop-off to boarding the ship.

Stateroom: Loved our room and you can find details with pics in the Cabin thread. Sky 9203.

Service: Wonderful service from our stewards and wait staff. The bartenders on this ship were hit or miss. We normally will find one each day to tip (mainly by the pool) and use that person. On this trip we found it impossible to do this as they were moving around too often. Our steward greeted us by name with a smile from moment 1. Dinner at Cagney's on Thursday was fantastic. We ate in Crossings once for dinner and Palace once for dinner. Sushi in Plantation room was good also!!

Ports:

Havana - Customs took maybe 30 minutes, and then changing money took maybe another 15. We didn't book a tour and did our own thing. I LOVED IT and wish we'd had more time.

GSC - Up and off early. Maybe second tender of the morning. Partly cloudy when we got to the island. I got a lounge chair and read. The water was great and looked like everyone was having fun! Travel buddy got a table with an umbrella at a bar not far away. It became rainy and overcast but enjoyable. Food was okay.

Food: I like GOOOOD food. I consider Ruth Chris a good steak not a great steak. I was expecting a solid three based on reviews (scale 1-5). That is what I got. I am not unhappy with the buffet or the MDR. The service was always good! Cagney's a solid 4, as was the sushi. Drink selection (including wine and champagne) I found to be fantastic (and I'm a drinker - Bulleit is my go-to bourbon, Veuve - champagne, Tito's my mixer for vodka drinks).

Disembarkation: WE did walk-off. Easy Peasy! It was difficult with reception to get an Uber.

Final Thoughts: The only show we saw was Rock Me Tonight - once they got to the 70s I was good. We both thought they could have picked different songs that more folks would have known. Others in the crowd agreed on the way out and the next morning.

Happy to answer any questions if I can!

**I like this review layout - borrowed it from another thread regarding the Sun to Cuba...

Edited by JennyB1977
errors
  • Like 2

Thank you for the review! Glad to hear you had a great time, we are heading out next week and can't wait!

I highly recommend this ship/itinerary. Enjoy :) I'm already looking at booking another cruise for the first week of January (though I may branch out to another carrier).

Sounds great!! One question at that time of year, how hot was Cuba?? I don't like to do any touring if temps rise above 70-75, especially with humidity.

Looking for March 2019 once NCL releases their dates for Cuba.

Sounds great!! One question at that time of year, how hot was Cuba?? I don't like to do any touring if temps rise above 70-75, especially with humidity.

Looking for March 2019 once NCL releases their dates for Cuba.

I was hot. I just checked AccuWeather for that day and high was 86. I wore white linen pants, a light cotton short sleeve shirt and a sun visor. I was sweating. I enjoyed it though. I'd do it again but in cooler temps if walking. Folks that did the car/horse tours said it wasn't bad. I was told the cars don't have A/C so you have to keep the windows/top down.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m confused by the rules for getting off the ship in Cuba. Can we just get off and wander around? Or do we have to have something booked or planned in advance? I know the rules changed a year ago and it depends on when you booked your cruise. Do you have any more details you can share? Thanks!

I’m confused by the rules for getting off the ship in Cuba. Can we just get off and wander around? Or do we have to have something booked or planned in advance? I know the rules changed a year ago and it depends on when you booked your cruise. Do you have any more details you can share? Thanks!

On you affidavit, just check "In Support of the Cuban People."

Yes! That is what we did. Beware of the ladies in "costume" that want to take your picture in the park across from the terminal. They want $$. There are walking tour guides you can hire across the street if you choose. There are also horse and buggy rides and old car tours available if you change your mind.

Yes! That is what we did. Beware of the ladies in "costume" that want to take your picture in the park across from the terminal. They want $$. There are walking tour guides you can hire across the street if you choose. There are also horse and buggy rides and old car tours available if you change your mind.

Thanks for the info!

I’m taking lots of money to hand to pretty much anyone that does anything for me and probably to just random people too. I’m Cuban and I know I’m gonna want to help everyone.

• 6 months later...
34 minutes ago, yebba said:

how do we get the visa from the ship? just fill out the OFAC form or is there something else we need to do?

You need to request from NCL ahead of time by calling. The cost will be added to your cruise total. You need to request ahead of time. Will be waiting for you when you embark.

2 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

You need to request from NCL ahead of time by calling. The cost will be added to your cruise total. You need to request ahead of time. Will be waiting for you when you embark.

ok, thanks!  i wish there was a box you could check within your online account, you know? it just seems confusing and it doesn't say what you need to do so i appreciate your help. i'll call tomorrow!

5 minutes ago, yebba said:

ok, thanks!  i wish there was a box you could check within your online account, you know? it just seems confusing and it doesn't say what you need to do so i appreciate your help. i'll call tomorrow!

When I received my confirmation after booking Cuba/Sky, there were more pages than usual, so I read it thru and it gives u specific info about Cuba and what u need for your cruise, it also tells u to pre-fill out info concerning y u r visiting

2 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

When I received my confirmation after booking Cuba/Sky, there were more pages than usual, so I read it thru and it gives u specific info about Cuba and what u need for your cruise, it also tells u to pre-fill out info concerning y u r visiting

I booked through United Cruises and have already filled out the OFAC form for/through NCL. Other than that, there's no other information within my NCL account regarding the visa/tourist card. NCL's website is of zero help.  My sister booked through NCL and can find no information either.  When I read their rules, it seems like it's a given NCL will get the visa for you.  Nowhere have I read you need to call or e-mail or do whatever, so I'm glad I now know I need to call.

41 minutes ago, yebba said:

You can also get through the Cuban embassy but ncl is easier. Think we paid $75 each. Don’t wait to do it.