Trip Report of 7 Days on NCL Bliss - First Seattle to Alaska Sailing - June 2-9, 2018

SeahawkSiren

Thanks for taking the time post your review..... still living vicariously since my last cruise was a baby moon and I’m now pregnant with my second. Won’t be for awhile as the next cruise we take will be child free.....

Thanks so much for your review and pics. After reading your review I booked a last minute sailing on our first mega ship. I ended up getting the spa passes. $249 pp but I love the Pearl spa for Alaska and hope we will get our use out of them.

I read the platinum venues on Bliss includes q so we made reservations for q and Le Bistro. Went with the sail away rate. Most of the dinner times are taken so I don’t think we’ll purchase a sdp.

Question- we have a mini suite and will have the same coffee maker you showed in picture. I’m not a fan of Ncl included coffee and want to bring some for the room. What type of pods or packets do you think will work?

Thank you for the lovely review. Planning on a multi-gen family trip next year on the Bliss and your review was very helpful.

Glad you enjoyed the review. A multi-generation family trip sounds really nice. Hope you all enjoy the Bliss as much as we did!

Thanks for taking the time post your review..... still living vicariously since my last cruise was a baby moon and I’m now pregnant with my second. Won’t be for awhile as the next cruise we take will be child free.....

Ah yes, living vicariously until the next cruise is always tough. We don't have our next cruise booked yet and the ones we are deciding between are both more than a year out so I will have to read reviews to get me through as well.

My favorite review of The Bliss so far!! Gorgeous photos. Jealous of that aft balcony cabin. Thank you so much for this!

Thank you so much for the very kind words. Yeah the aft balcony was pretty spectacular! I know you will enjoy your Caribbean cruise on the Bliss. She is a beautiful ship! IMO, NCL really hit it out of the park with this ship!

Thanks so much for your review and pics. After reading your review I booked a last minute sailing on our first mega ship. I ended up getting the spa passes. $249 pp but I love the Pearl spa for Alaska and hope we will get our use out of them.

I read the platinum venues on Bliss includes q so we made reservations for q and Le Bistro. Went with the sail away rate. Most of the dinner times are taken so I don’t think we’ll purchase a sdp.

Question- we have a mini suite and will have the same coffee maker you showed in picture. I’m not a fan of Ncl included coffee and want to bring some for the room. What type of pods or packets do you think will work?

I hope you enjoy your first cruise on a mega ship as much as we did. We absolutely loved the Bliss! And some of the things we were worried about being on our first mega ship (too many people and long lines onboard, long waits for elevators, long lines during embarking/disembarking in ports) never materialized. We never had any of those issues.

I don't know how helpful I can be on the coffee as I have never brought my own coffee onboard and just drink what NCL provides. But here a link to some pods I have seen referenced on these boards in the past. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAHPQX8?psc=1

Edited by SeahawkSiren

Thank you so much for the very kind words. Yeah the aft balcony was pretty spectacular! I know you will enjoy your Caribbean cruise on the Bliss. She is a beautiful ship! IMO, NCL really hit it out of the park with this ship!

I hope you enjoy your first cruise on a mega ship as much as we did. We absolutely loved the Bliss! And some of the things we were worried about being on our first mega ship (too many people and long lines onboard, long waits for elevators, long lines during embarking/disembarking in ports) never materialized. We never had any of those issues.

I don't know how helpful I can be on the coffee as I have never brought my own coffee onboard and just drink what NCL provides. But here a link to some pods I have seen referenced on these boards in the past. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAHPQX8?psc=1

Thanks for the link. I really think we’ll enjoy the Bliss. I figure a little prior planning, making a few activities ressies once onboard, taking stairs when elevators busy and not worrying about getting off ship early and we should be just fine.

I talked to a rep today to book some speciality dinners. She said they just had a meeting regarding some initial complaints about Bliss dining and that the issues were a new ship, new crew settling in. Said everything is flowing great now and reports are the food and food service are really good. I’m interested in trying ocean blue but the menu really confused me.

I was able to make dinner reservations at 5:30 for the Jersey boys and Havana nights and the early shows.

There’s quite a few Haven suites left on our sailing but to be honest I’m likely not even going to bother bidding. With all there is to do I think we’ll be very happy in our mini suite.

What a wonderful review and spectacular pictures. We sail on NCL Pearl 19th August. I was assuming it would be quite chilly. As you live in Seattle can you give me an idea of temperatures . May have to rethink packing. Used to the cold and damp as come from Bonny Scotland .

What a wonderful review and spectacular pictures. We sail on NCL Pearl 19th August. I was assuming it would be quite chilly. As you live in Seattle can you give me an idea of temperatures . May have to rethink packing. Used to the cold and damp as come from Bonny Scotland .

We went in August and had a lot of warm days. Shorts and tank tops in Juneau and Victoria

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always bring layers for Alaska. You may get sunny and warm weather but it may also be chilly and wet. I would plan for both scenarios. On each of my Alaska cruises I would always check the weather forecast in advance but that didn't seem to help much because sometimes it would be the complete opposite of the forecast! But as you say, since you live in Scotland you are used to cold and damp! ;p

I hope Seattle's great summer weather continues for you on August 19. We've had record heat at times this summer (too hot for me when it gets well into the 90's and most of us who live here do not have air conditioned homes). I hope you will get a day or two in Seattle either before or after your cruise to enjoy our beautiful city! We sailed on the Pearl to Alaska back in 2014 and loved the ship and the itinerary. You will LOVE Glacier Bay! So pristine. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for your great picture review we will be on her on nov 9 to Panama Canal and will have 14days to enjoy the ship can’t wait

Hope you have a great trip! I'm jealous you will have 14 days on the Bliss. 7 days on our cruise was not enough. We sailed 14 days on a Panama Canal cruise on NCL Sun a couple years ago. An amazing trip. If you look at my signature you can see my review of our Panama Canal cruise if you are interested. I posted a lot of photos of the entire cruise and plenty during the transit itself. An unforgettable vacation and going through the canal was one of my favorite days ever!

Edited by SeahawkSiren

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you, mrloug.  Glad you enjoyed the review and the photos.  I enjoyed putting it together.  Really loved the Bliss!  Just booked my next cruise on the Bliss for next year!  Going to Mexican Riviera in October 2020!

I see in your signature that you are going on the Celebrity Solstice this year to Alaska.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise to Alaska and that you enjoy the Solstice.  I have my first Celebrity cruise booked!  Very excited!  It is still two years away but am really looking forward to it.  20 days on the Solstice on a bucket list cruise including Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti and Hawaii in April 2021.

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, bluehorizonlover123 said:

Loved your review.  We are going in June.  Can I ask you what type of coats you brought?  I know sweaters, windbreaker, hoody sweatshirt, but what other cold weather clothes did you pack. And did you just wear sneakers for shoes?

So glad you enjoyed the review.  I did bring one heavier jacket (in addition to the coats you referenced) but did not end up wearing it.  The temps were in the 50's and 60's during that week.  The Juneau day in particular was very pleasant.  But on the Endicott Arm excursion we did out of Juneau I was wishing I had brought my heavier coat and gloves because it was much colder near the glacier compared to Juneau.  So if you are going on any glacier/boat excursion I would recommend making sure you have enough layers.  I did not.  I did just wear sneakers for the most part but wore hiking boots on the Ketchikan and Juneau hikes. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1