Flying out of LAX

crystalaziza

For those of you who have done so, I'm looking for what time you have disembarked (self walk off) got a cab, and got to LAX Airport to make your flight (no checked bags) on a Sunday, without having to do the 50 yard dash all the way. I know there are a lot of variances, but just looking for an idea. I'm thinking about booking the Gem 1/20-1/27 doing the Mexican Rivera in January. San Pedro flights are almost twice the amount of LAX for me to get back to Virginia (flying to RDU). I am limited to flights and would prefer not to fly out at 10 p.m. Need to fly home on Sunday 1/27. Thank you for any and all information.

well at least you are not going to be fighting the commute traffic but LA is still LA I don't think I would even try for a flight before about 11am. Of course I am one of those that would rather get home late, than miss the plane. On the other hand I understand your wanting to get home early, especially since it will be Jan and winter in VA isn't like winter in CA

I love trying to figure out flights, so I looked on Expedia, you have my sympathies, I wouldn't like any of your options.

From my experience with the Port of Los Angeles in 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018 - self disembarkation starts close to the time NCL has on your itinerary for arrival time. I have gotten through the Port in as little as 15 minutes & it has taken over an hour (last scan on ship to sidewalk).

Google says Port to LAX is 30 minutes - I would never count on less than an hour

I'm a West Coast Canadian, I have to connect in LAX almost every time I want to fly south, I was SHOCKED at how nice & efficient Newark airport staff were in comparison to LAX. Not sure if you will have a different experience being American, I would be pleasantly surprised to be at my gate in less than 2 hours from airport arrival (we check bags).

I wouldn't like any of your options. I would look at John Wayne Airport (SNA), on May 25 at 10am we got from Port to SNA in 45 minutes, I would think traffic would be lighter on a Sunday. We were so early for our flight that we had to wait to check our bags

There are no great options, because transcontinental nonstop flights from LAX (and all other west-coast airports) seem to leave either early in the day (too early for you) or late at night.

There is more choice of times with connecting flights, and also more choice of airports. The earliest connecting departure that you can probably make is from SNA (Orange County/John Wayne); those from LAX or LGB depart later and arrive later at RDU, most after 11:00 p.m.

I understand and agree with your preference for a nonstop flight, but I would probably stay overnight near LAX to get one first thing the next morning.

Way too many airline variables here:

You are flying from LAX (Los Angeles) to the RDU (Raleigh Durham triangle) area.

Principally:

American and Delta should have non-stops

American hub connections via Dallas and Charlotte

Delta - Atlanta and New York and Minneapolis St. Paul

United - Chicago and Newark

There are new guys in the mix here - Southwest for one -

having to make connections via somewhere Phoenix (PHX) ?

Other airports in LAX area:

Long Beach(LGB) - will require a plane change connection or one stop to get to the east coast

Santa Orange County (John Wayne)(SNA) - non-stops to the east coast cities but not as frequently

Other airports in the area are worse than these - time versus distance and convenience.

BUR - Hollywood Burbank (Bob Hope)

SBD - San Bernadino

ALTHOUGH - don't count out San Diego (SAN) while it is over 100 miles away the transportation

is frequent and the fares semi-competitive with LAX and non stops.

If you can't find what you like out of LAX think of these other cities.

So your game plan is to be off the ship ASAP and get going on something headed eastward -

LAX is your best bet with its fares and frequency - but traffic and congestion maybe your undoing

so don't plan things down to the minute allow some leeway.

Long Beach is really close by but you are going to have to make a plane change/connection watch

the timing on this the connection maybe 1 hour and then it might be 4 so the non-stop out of LAX

maybe the better bet even if it costs more and is later.

Your destination is or must be in southern Virginia - RDU being perhaps the closest airport - think

of another alternative if making a connection - what about RIC (Richmond) -

GSO (Greensboro/High Point)

ORF (Norfolk/Virginia Beach)

CLT (Charlotte) would be a distant remote option

As a previous poster noted the timing is against you if you don't get something first thing in the

morning still arriving in the early evening at your destination. Anything around 1pm is flirting with

11pm arrival (5-6 hour non-stop flight and 3 time zones). And anything after that becomes a red-eye.

Although airlines do maintain pretty much a consistent 7 day schedule the weekend may see some

flights as no ops on Saturday and Sunday.

Also the time of the year for your cruise - maybe hunkdory in Southern California but your flight

connections maybe not so great i.e. the nemisis of winter weather.

Your travels are in late January 2019 - plan on making your ticket purchase about 45-50 days before

that point. Watch and check on the fares seize the moment when you feel the price is right.

You have plenty of time to see what are the best options and at CC we have lots to offer - keep

coming back to review your thread for more reader input.

We got off the Bliss the Fri. of Memorial Day weekend. Our flight was at 1:45pm, we did self walk off, but used NCL bus transfer ($20pp). Even with the construction, and the mad house that is LAX, we got to the airport with very little trouble, and in plenty of time. Do TSA pre-check!

If you use the NCL transfer, don't pay attention to the color of the luggage tag....we got off two colors before we were supposed to.....it made a big difference! :D

we LOVED the long beach airport when we flew in there. much better than the crazy hustle and bustle of LAX. is that an option or have you already booked tix?

totally agree but flights are very limited and sometimes more expensive. I am one of those that does hate LAX. It is a hassle to get through security, no one is very friendly and terminals need refurbishing.

If you do fly to/from Long Beach (LGB) and you can easily handle your luggage, you can take the bus from the airport to downtown Long Beach Transit Center and then the LADOT bus 142 from the same location to right by the cruiseship parking lot in San Pedro. Easy-peasy and very safe to do and it will only set you back $1.50 each ride. If you are a senior, it's even cheaper!

If you do fly to/from Long Beach (LGB) and you can easily handle your luggage, you can take the bus from the airport to downtown Long Beach Transit Center and then the LADOT bus 142 from the same location to right by the cruiseship parking lot in San Pedro. Easy-peasy and very safe to do and it will only set you back $1.50 each ride. If you are a senior, it's even cheaper!

I can only say, one thing: as a senior and a frequent cruiser taking public transportation from Long Beach airport to the ship isn't my idea of fun. I doubt anyone, who is cruising is going to bother or not many anyway. :rolleyes:

I can only say, one thing: as a senior and a frequent cruiser taking public transportation from Long Beach airport to the ship isn't my idea of fun. I doubt anyone, who is cruising is going to bother or not many anyway. :rolleyes:

Are you speaking from firsthand experience?

Have you ever ridden Long Beach's ULTRACLEAN, frequent, modern ZERO emissions public buses?

I am pretty sure you have not! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

totally agree but flights are very limited and sometimes more expensive. I am one of those that does hate LAX. It is a hassle to get through security, no one is very friendly and terminals need refurbishing.

From personal experience, there are now MANY flights out/in of LGB. AND, cheaper than LAX.... We've been flying out of LGB for the last several cruises because it was a lot cheaper than LAX.... But that's just me...

Now SNA (John Wayne Airport), that is usually a lot more expensive.....!!

Cliffhanger,

Ain't LGB LA's hidden gem, for as long as that remains.

We are closer to ONT than LGB, we used to find insanely cheap flights out of/to ONT but not anymore, it is

now more akin to being the most expensive airport in the LA area. The cheapest always seem to be LAX

although occasionally we have found a good deal out of LGB.

Gotta LOVE LGB!!!

For those of you who have done so, I'm looking for what time you have disembarked (self walk off) got a cab, and got to LAX Airport to make your flight (no checked bags) on a Sunday, without having to do the 50 yard dash all the way. I know there are a lot of variances, but just looking for an idea. I'm thinking about booking the Gem 1/20-1/27 doing the Mexican Rivera in January. San Pedro flights are almost twice the amount of LAX for me to get back to Virginia (flying to RDU). I am limited to flights and would prefer not to fly out at 10 p.m. Need to fly home on Sunday 1/27. Thank you for any and all information.

Having lived out west for a number of years and flying to the east coast to visit family I can tell you that there is no easy way to do what you want. Your best option is to look for a flight on AA that connects in Dallas, one on DL that connects in SLC, or one on Southwest that makes multiple stops. What ever you select your best case for getting home is going to be pushng midnight, unless DL adds a non stop LAX RDU that leaves around noon, whihc will get you to RDU around 9:00 p.m.

Are you speaking from firsthand experience?

Have you ever ridden Long Beach's ULTRACLEAN, frequent, modern ZERO emissions public buses?

I am pretty sure you have not! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have not ridden them, but I know as a cruiser going to an airport after a cruise I would not even consider them because of luggage.

Cliffhanger,

Ain't LGB LA's hidden gem, for as long as that remains.

We are closer to ONT than LGB, we used to find insanely cheap flights out of/to ONT but not anymore, it is

now more akin to being the most expensive airport in the LA area. The cheapest always seem to be LAX

although occasionally we have found a good deal out of LGB.

Gotta LOVE LGB!!!

Yup, totally love it! We use it to go to Seattle, Florida, New York.... Lately it's been cheaper than LAX and SNA.... and SOOOOOOOOO convenient! Walk up, check in and bam, the airplanes are parked right in front of you!!

jetb.PNG.1f5f736fb903dc253d07ec4f15f7dbaf.PNG

• 2 months later...

Well I've been searching for a few months and can not quite come to a reasonable decision. LAX at this point is my only option, flying back on Sunday 1/27/2019 is my only option. My sister & I both HAVE to work on Monday. I am able to actually be the very first person off the ship, just never been to LAX or Los Angeles port in San Pedro, so do not know visuals. I have NO bags to check and usually get pre-check, can still run like the wind if I have to. I know there are many, many risks involved, but barring any unforeseen disasters, I would love to be able to catch the 10:30 a.m. flight back to RDU & my sister 11:00 a.m. back to Rochester, NY. Call me crazy********** CAN THIS BE DONE????

I say yes, you'll catch your flight! If there are no security threats. A couple of weeks ago, they found and abandoned truck by LAX with arms in it... They shut down the ramps to get to the gates!!'

But if there are no issues, you'll make it fine.Just Pre-board...

Big tanker truck accident on the 105 Freeway (which ends at LAX) today. Saw people on the freeway walking off with luggage to catch a ride to LAX on surface streets. Usually San Pedro to LAX on Saturday or Sunday is clear but I feel sorry for those travelers today!