Cost of drinks on Cunard line ships

Crewserman

11 hours ago, jsn55 said:

We just returned from ten days on Queen Victoria in the Norwegian Fjords.  We drink a lot, so I was very worried about the prices after reading these boards.  It was not a problem.  A glass of sparkling wine was $8 or so ... less than a nice restaurant in San Francisco would charge.  The required gratuity is annoying, but I'm sure it's only in response to previous experience with cheapskates.  I'm sure if your some kind of wine snob the stuff you'd want to drink is way too expensive ... but isn't that the case in a restaurant as well?

Price of drinks will not seem to bother most Americans but for a lot of UK cruisers apart from London and major tourist cities the prices onboard Cunard are very expensive. Paying $8 +15% a total of $9-20 approx £7 in UK is very expensive.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Price of drinks will not seem to bother most Americans but for a lot of UK cruisers apart from London and major tourist cities the prices onboard Cunard are very expensive. Paying $8 +15% a total of $9-20 approx £7 in UK is very expensive.

Indeed. This has been observed before; A lot (not all) of UK posters on here consider the prices on board to be very expensive whilst a lot (again not all of US posters on here consider the prices on board to be very reasonable. 

Another thing is when people say the drink "a lot". I've seen people who have told me they drink a lot and then I've witnessed what they refer as a lot and to me it's little more than a swift half ! It all depends on your datum point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

This comment is SO interesting.  We fly into Heathrow on Virgin often, spend some time in England occasionally,  and find the prices of everything MUCH higher than we're used to in San Francisco.  So outside the major tourist areas, are there huge price differences?   What would a glass of wine cost in your area?

Edited by jsn55
re-read the post

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

This comment is SO interesting.  We fly into Heathrow on Virgin often, spend some time in England occasionally,  and find the prices of everything MUCH higher than we're used to in San Francisco.  So outside the major tourist areas, are there huge price differences?   What would a glass of wine cost in your area?

If you visit major tourist cities like London, Bath, Chester, Edinburgh then you will pay higher prices but locally in the Midlands where I live a glass of wine can be easily purchased for £3-£4 and a pint of bitter for under £3.

This article is from last year but shows the average price of beer across the UK, 

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Article/2018/09/06/Good-Pub-Guide-2019-average-price-of-pint-UK

This shows an average wine glass price

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/kef4

Another factor contributing to the differences between UK and US opinions may be due to the relative prices of beer vs hard liquor.  In my limited experience  - in the UK (and Europe), beer tends to be relatively inexpensive in comparison to liquor, which is measured. In the US, the differential between the two is smaller (beer is relatively more expensive) and liquor pours tend to be more generous.

Cunard is priced according to US expectations, but served with UK measures. So things wind up in somewhat of a worst of both worlds situation.

- Americans have no problems with the prices, by and large -but can find the cocktails miserly.
 - Brits find the beer expensive but the liquor prices may not seem as high because of different expectations based upon 1 oz measures.

Of course, this is in addition to the expensive urban hotel/club vs. cheaper home town bar/pub dynamic as mentioned (often) previously.

Edited by MarkBearSF

13 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

This article is from last year but shows the average price of beer across the UK, 

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Article/2018/09/06/Good-Pub-Guide-2019-average-price-of-pint-UK

So its ave price of £3-40 for a pint of beer for me in Staffordshire and between £3-£4 for a 175 ml glass of wine. That is why for me personally Cunard drinks are very expensive I can get a pint and a glass of wine for the "boss" for £6-£7 far cheaper than Cunard.

I am intrigued with this thread.  It appears that many of you are begrudgingly  content with the Cunard price structure.  I have been out of touch with Cunard for many years.  My question is...What programs does Cunard offer for drink packages?

NCL, RCI, Celebrity and MSC all have a wide array of booze packages.  What does Cunard offer?  

13 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

This is fascinating. Bournemouth (and Dorset as a whole) is not a particularly wealthy area, though it is a tourist area. Outside Wetherspoons, I cannot recall the last time I paid under about £5.50 for 175cc of house wine.

11 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I am intrigued with this thread.  It appears that many of you are begrudgingly  content with the Cunard price structure.  I have been out of touch with Cunard for many years.  My question is...What programs does Cunard offer for drink packages?

NCL, RCI, Celebrity and MSC all have a wide array of booze packages.  What does Cunard offer?  

There are links to the recently introduced drinks packages in the Welcome sticky at the top of the board.

13 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

There are links to the recently introduced drinks packages in the Welcome sticky at the top of the board.

Thank you HH,

Now I can speak with some clarity.  I am an ocean liner historian so much of what I say is from an historical perspective.  Although it has been many years since my last Cunard Voyage I have kept up with the ships and the systems that have been implemented over the years.  Carnival Cruise Line built their fortune on booze sales (beer, wine, liquor and liqueurs).  All the different companies under the CCL umbrella stick to the same strict formula...maximum charges for alcohol sales.  NCL, RCI, Celebrity and NCL have all revised their drink programs to make drinking easier when onboard.  Cunard continues to be the holdout.  I find this interesting.  Cunard has gone from being all about hospitality to being all about $$$ and the bottom line.  In times gone by the cost of drinks was of minor consideration.  Now, today, the cost of a drink package would be an additional $1,400 on a 10 day cruise.  That is a ridiculous amount of money in order to enhance your cruise.  Yet most of the postings on this thread tend to acquiesce to the current charges.  Crossing and cruising is such a British tradition that I am amazed that these prices are tolerated.  Cruise lines purchase their alcohol in bulk.  I can tell you that the average cost of a bottle of rum is under $2.00.  With about 24 pours per bottle you can imagine the profit.  I would seriously suggest that you ardent Cunard fans start making some noise aimed at the head office.  It seems to me that the quality of your cruises is being negatively affected by this.  I would suggest that it is time for Cunard to get back to concentrating on hospitality rather than supplanting the bottom line.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thank you HH,

Now I can speak with some clarity.  I am an ocean liner historian so much of what I say is from an historical perspective.  Although it has been many years since my last Cunard Voyage I have kept up with the ships and the systems that have been implemented over the years.  Carnival Cruise Line built their fortune on booze sales (beer, wine, liquor and liqueurs).  All the different companies under the CCL umbrella stick to the same strict formula...maximum charges for alcohol sales.  NCL, RCI, Celebrity and NCL have all revised their drink programs to make drinking easier when onboard.  Cunard continues to be the holdout.  I find this interesting.  Cunard has gone from being all about hospitality to being all about $$$ and the bottom line.  In times gone by the cost of drinks was of minor consideration.  Now, today, the cost of a drink package would be an additional $1,400 on a 10 day cruise.  That is a ridiculous amount of money in order to enhance your cruise.  Yet most of the postings on this thread tend to acquiesce to the current charges.  Crossing and cruising is such a British tradition that I am amazed that these prices are tolerated.  Cruise lines purchase their alcohol in bulk.  I can tell you that the average cost of a bottle of rum is under $2.00.  With about 24 pours per bottle you can imagine the profit.  I would seriously suggest that you ardent Cunard fans start making some noise aimed at the head office.  It seems to me that the quality of your cruises is being negatively affected by this.  I would suggest that it is time for Cunard to get back to concentrating on hospitality rather than supplanting the bottom line.  

Interesting but as I'm guessing reduced drinks prices would have to lead to increases elsewhere, likely fares, I don't think you'll get many takers.

I think the fare versus drinks prices discussion took place earlier in this thread ....

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Interesting but as I'm guessing reduced drinks prices would have to lead to increases elsewhere, likely fares, I don't think you'll get many takers.

I think the fare versus drinks prices discussion took place earlier in this thread ....

I humbly disagree.  I believe the demand for cruising on Cunard would be increased with revised drink packages.  If you look at companies like RCI or MSC they are increasing their demand for cabins by offering some outstanding programs.  An average RCI cruiser who goes on 5 or 6 cruises in an inside cabin for minimal rates can become a top tier member in the RCI loyalty program and receive gratis drinks for a 3 hour period each day.  Just some thoughts on the subject...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I think one of the reasons many people are not too fussed about the drinks prices is that one way or another quite a lot of people get quite a lot of obc, which reduces the pain a bit.

Correct.  Booking OBC, plus FVD and Shareholder Benefit, can be quite substantial.

What amazes me is that Cunard buy a lot of their alcohol in bulk with P&O i.e. beer/wine and spirits but Cunard's wine list in their restaurants is up to 50% dearer for exactly the same bottle of wine. Not being big alcohol drinkers it doesnt really impact on our cruise but we certainly dont drink as much on a Cunard cruise than on a P&O cruise and the bars on Cunard ships are far less populated than on P&O except prior to dinner in certain bars/lounges.

The problem with looking at the average price of a pint/glass of wine in various UK locations (or anywhere for that matter) is that prices still vary wildly in any one location. There are too many imponderables.

But at least on land you have a choice; if you stay in a hotel you can choose to drink there and will pay more than a local pub/bar (in general). But you have a choice. On a ship you have no choice, apart from deal or no deal. So people feel they are being had over.

Also, people tend to look at the absolute cost and not the difference in price. Say you are used to paying £4 a pint. And then the ship charges you £5 a pint. They don''t look at the £1 difference, they look at the £5,.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ToadOfToadHall said:

The problem with looking at the average price of a pint/glass of wine in various UK locations (or anywhere for that matter) is that prices still vary wildly in any one location. There are too many imponderables.

But at least on land you have a choice; if you stay in a hotel you can choose to drink there and will pay more than a local pub/bar (in general). But you have a choice. On a ship you have no choice, apart from deal or no deal. So people feel they are being had over.

Also, people tend to look at the absolute cost and not the difference in price. Say you are used to paying £4 a pint. And then the ship charges you £5 a pint. They don''t look at the £1 difference, they look at the £5,.

I also look at especially with beer id whether it is draught or in cans. Draught is preferable everytime and dont mind paying extra as there are wastages in supplying draught beer but not in cans and some of the prices for canned beer are very high onboard. Cannot speak for the US but I have never purchased or would even consider buying a beer in a can in a pub or hotel in the UK.

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I also look at especially with beer id whether it is draught or in cans. Draught is preferable everytime and dont mind paying extra as there are wastages in supplying draught beer but not in cans and some of the prices for canned beer are very high onboard. Cannot speak for the US but I have never purchased or would even consider buying a beer in a can in a pub or hotel in the UK.

That is very true. 

And it's because of course you don't get standard types of beer in a can in the UK in a pub (well, hardly ever). So all you can compare it to is the offie price, say £1 for a can of bitter but its say £6 on the ship. Which is a disgrace (as you say). But say a pint in a pub is £4, then paying £6 on the ship is not as bad (relative to a can).

It's a perception thing I think. Canned beer is always seen as not as good as draught, but bottled beer is seen as better. And often it's the same product but one comes in a metal container and the other comes in a glass one. Odd that when you think about it; it makes no difference at all and yet people (including me and you) view it differently.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I would seriously suggest that you ardent Cunard fans start making some noise aimed at the head office.  It seems to me that the quality of your cruises is being negatively affected by this.  I would suggest that it is time for Cunard to get back to concentrating on hospitality rather than supplanting the bottom line.  

I can assure you the quality of my cruise is not negatively affected by this, partly because of obc, partly because of the cabin bottles in QG, and partly because I actively enjoy the calm and quiet of Cunard ships and the fact they rarely have a party cruise atmosphere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ToadOfToadHall said:

That is very true. 

And it's because of course you don't get standard types of beer in a can in the UK in a pub (well, hardly ever). So all you can compare it to is the offie price, say £1 for a can of bitter but its say £6 on the ship. Which is a disgrace (as you say). But say a pint in a pub is £4, then paying £6 on the ship is not as bad (relative to a can).

It's a perception thing I think. Canned beer is always seen as not as good as draught, but bottled beer is seen as better. And often it's the same product but one comes in a metal container and the other comes in a glass one. Odd that when you think about it; it makes no difference at all and yet people (including me and you) view it differently.

Sorry wouldnt pay £4 for a pint in a pub for bitter I would find somewhere else to drink.

1 hour ago, ToadOfToadHall said:

I was just using a figure to illustrate a point.

Yes I understand that but when I can get a pint in Wetherspoons for £1-99 and most pubs for less than £3 can understand why IMO drinks are expensive. Depending where you live in the UK there might be a lot of difference in price and opinions of cost on Cunard but I can only give my opinion and thoughts and to me Cunard drinks are very expensive especially when you have added the 15% on top.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

The price of a pint...

I think we are talking at cross purposes. I too think the prices on Cunard are way over the top (2 years ago I was paying £6 for a can of Strongbow - which I doubt very much will be happening again). 

The drinks package we were offered was close to $1400 for two on a 10-day cruise.  I couldn't agree more that Cunard is out for the money.  They charge outrageous prices for shore excursions ($59 for a 2-hour walking tour of a small Norwegian town???), refuse to give you any meaningful port information in order to sell these excursions, strongly encourage (tell you it's required) you to pay the $138 drinks package for the first day ... and we didn't board until 5.  Who would pay $69 for a glass of champagne and a couple glasses of wine with dinner?   Once we boarded, I found out that you could buy the drinks package for the 9 days.  Chiselers, I hate chiselers.   HOWEVER, the absence of tattoos, loud voices, and people dressed like bums makes Cunard a favorite choice now that we've sailed on QV.  Not to mention her elegance, which I reveled in every day. 

I appreciate everyone's input on the cost of alcohol in the UK.  We live in San Francisco and are used to high prices, so I didn't take that into consideration.  My favorite anecdote on this subject is looking to buy a bottle of wine in Flam.  One market, no wine.  No wine at all in Flam.  I asked the clerk what he drank with dinner and he told me "milk".  I grew up in northern Minnesota and drank milk with my meals until I was about 40 ... I've always credited that to my extremely good health.  But milk can't come close to a nice Chardonnay with dinner.