My 15yo is mad on trying snack and sweets from different countries. Whenever we are overseas he has to try some of the local treats, if its chocolate even better.

we are stopping in Aukland, Tuaragura, wellington, akaroa and Dunedin.

Can anyone recomend a specialty store or location that he can try local treats?

He was really bummed when I told him cadbury world had closed.

I have posted this question on the ports of call thread also

Thanks maree

Go to any supermarket and buy a packet of Pineapple Lumps, Whittaker's Chocolate (similar to Cadbury, but a Kiwi version) and a Pinkie or two.

Posted (edited)
Go to any supermarket and buy a packet of Pineapple Lumps, Whittaker's Chocolate (similar to Cadbury, but a Kiwi version) and a Pinkie or two.

Can you still get Pixie Caramel bars? And Buzz Bars, and Chocolate Fish, and Snifters?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

You should be able to buy Nestle Pixie Caramel bars and Baby Chocolate Fish from Countdown Supermarket, Central Dunedin. Not sure about Buzz Bars although you can still buy them online along with the full size chocolate fish.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Forums mobile app

It's funny, I was just thinking about Pixie Caramels a week or so ago. Haven't had one in years. I've promised myself I'll buy one when we're over next year.

We used to have an NZ section in our local Woolworths supermarket but it disappeared when they reorganised it. No Pixie Caramels but they had some of my old favourite biscuits like Krispies and Griffin's Gingernuts.

My daughter stocks up on malt biscuits and eskimos or fruit puffs when she comes home so she can make lolly cake for work shouts back in Sydney.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Forums mobile app

All the supermarkets stock Krispies and Gingernuts.

I know! :D:D:D

Can you still get Pixie Caramel bars? And Buzz Bars, and Chocolate Fish, and Snifters?

I have not heard of Pixie Caramel bars, Buzz Bars or Snifters (and I am a kiwi :eek:), but you should be able to still get Chocolate Fish at any supermarket.

Love Whittaker's - way better than Cadbury. :-)

Me too [emoji515][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have not heard of Pixie Caramel bars, Buzz Bars or Snifters (and I am a kiwi :eek:), but you should be able to still get Chocolate Fish at any supermarket.

Pixie Caramel bars are a hard caramel bar covered in chocolate. The caramel has a slight hint of cinnamon in it, I think.

A Buzz Bar is dense marshmallow covered in chocolate. I can't remember whether it has a caramel layer or not, it's decades since I last had one. It used to be very popular to stick them in the freezer and eat them frozen. In fact many stores sold them frozen.

Snifters are small oval sweets. The outer shell (similar to that of a Jaffa) is pale green and mint flavoured, then there is a thin layer of chocolate, and the rest of the sweet is a mint flavoured nougat. They used to be sold in small boxes like Jaffas. They may have even been made by the same company.

I don't eat many sweets these days so never thought to check if they were still around when I came back to NZ for visits.

Yes the Buzz Bar does have a layer of caramel. Jaffas and Snifters were made by Cadbury under the Pascall brand. You can still buy Jaffas but not sure about Snifters.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had forgotten about Pixie Caramels. They used to be a favourite -when I could chew...:D

Have not seen them for a while but checked up and Countdown have them on line for $1. A Neztles product so has to fight for shelf space I suppose.

Yes the Buzz Bar does have a layer of caramel. Jaffas and Snifters were made by Cadbury under the Pascall brand. You can still buy Jaffas but not sure about Snifters.

I used to be very fond of Snifters many years ago but had to stop eating them after I developed a mild allergy to peppermint flavouring - it gives me hayfever these days. Bummer!

Then there were Oddfellows, Macintosh's Toffees, Black Knight liquorice (I got really sick from eating too much of that once), I think someone already mentioned Pineapple Lumps, Jet Planes, Milk Bottles, all of which appear to be still available, and probably a whole lot more that have faded into obscurity. Some may have originally been British sweets.

Pineapple lumps, now you’re talking.

Love Whittaker's - way better than Cadbury. :-)

Agree totally. There special flavour bars are the best

There is a shop in Wellington where you can some if the old goodies - k bars snifters sparkles and chocolate fish the normal sized not spratz

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Forums mobile app

There is a shop in Wellington where you can some if the old goodies - k bars snifters sparkles and chocolate fish the normal sized not spratz

Mrs Gut thinks the one I went to was in Wellington and it certainly had some oldies but goodies.

Mrs Gut thinks the one I went to was in Wellington and it certainly had some oldies but goodies.

We went to this shop when we were at Wellington awhile ago

http://sarkara.co.nz/

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and info, this will make my young man very happy :D

The quick reference to lolly cake might have been missed. You buy it from bakeries and its a NZ specialty. He should try that too.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Forums mobile app

They stopped making snifters a few years ago - movies have never been the same! I highly rate whittakers chocolate and if he is a fan of white chocolate I would suggest he try the L&P flavour. L&P is a local soft drink which stands for lemon and Paeroa (the town it was made in).

Pineapple lumps are sooo good. Buzz bars are also a favorite (and they do have a caramel layer) but they need to be frozen to be fully appreciated.

The quick reference to lolly cake might have been missed. You buy it from bakeries and its a NZ specialty. He should try that too.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Forums mobile app

Do I dare ask what a lolly cake is? It sounds like a sugar overload.:D:D:D

Thanks maree

We always pick up a supply of Perky Nanas. Our grown up Daughter and husband always request a few too. They were on special last Oct. at Countdown, so we stocked up. Unfortunately they didn’t last long.They are available in Australia, but very expensive.

Pineapple lumps are available in Australia at Coles, Woolies etc.

We always pick up a supply of Perky Nanas. Our grown up Daughter and husband always request a few too. They were on special last Oct. at Countdown, so we stocked up. Unfortunately they didn’t last long.They are available in Australia, but very expensive.

Pineapple lumps are available in Australia at Coles, Woolies etc.

Perky Nanas are on special at our pak n save - 2 for $1 - only know this because I bought a few as bribery for my team... they may be adults but they will still do anything for chocolate!

Perky nanas sound like a combination of my sons two favourite things, lolly bananas and chocolate, i think we will definetly be giving those a go.

Whittaker's Peanut Slab is sinful.

The supermarkets have the mini peanut slabs in packs of 12 .

An NZ friend just sent me a block of the Whittaker Dark Salted Caramel Chocolate. OMG! It is soooo good!

An NZ friend just sent me a block of the Whittaker Dark Salted Caramel Chocolate. OMG! It is soooo good!
The milk chocolate version is pretty good to tried a piece today yummmee

My kids always look forward to a supply of Perky Nanas when we go to NZ. Had heaps of trouble finding them last year! We were worried they had stopped making them!

I like Haighs Chocolate. At least it’s available in Sydney and Melbourne as well as online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whittaker’s have a new range of Artisan chocolate that is now widely available...

The four new Artisan Collection flavours are:

• West Coast Buttermilk Caramelised White Chocolate: White chocolate caramelised to deep deliciousness, with buttermilk produced in West Coast pastures.

• Hawke’s Bay Black Doris Plum and Roasted Almonds in Dark Chocolate: 50% Dark Chocolate matched with Black Doris plums from the Hawke’s Bay and flecks of roasted almonds.

• Wellington Roasted Supreme Coffee in Dark Chocolate: 50% Dark Chocolate with the flavour of Coffee Supreme’s Ethiopian Sidamo coffee.

• Fijian Ginger and Kerikeri Mandarin in Dark Chocolate: 62% dark chocolate infused with mandarin from the famed citrus growers of Kerikeri, paired with ginger hand cultivated in the islands of Fiji.