Magic problems

I see the Magic is anchored off Amber Cove this morning. Does anyone know how/if repairs are coming along?

It seems that the Magic hasn't updated it's position on the tracking websites I have looked at. I am not sure why.

I googled and it says between 20 and 24 knots, but I am not an expert so I could be wrong!!

so its running at approximately 85% normal cruising speed.

We are on the June 30th sailing, no word yet if they are dropping a port.

Tracking sites like marinetraffic and vesselfinder rely on land based AIS receivers to get ships' positions. If the ship is outside of range (about 20-40 miles) of a land AIS station (not just land, but a station that is reporting to the site you are looking at), then the location will not update until the ship is again within range of a station.

85% speed is about 75% power, which correlates well with the thought that one half of one propulsion motor is not working.

85% speed is about 75% power, which correlates well with the thought that one half of one propulsion motor is not working.

Since the Magic doesn't have azipods, could a fix for this situation still require drydock or is that just for replacing an azipod? I know it's just speculation but does not having azipods help as far as things that would require drydock?

Since the Magic doesn't have azipods, could a fix for this situation still require drydock or is that just for replacing an azipod? I know it's just speculation but does not having azipods help as far as things that would require drydock?

It all depends. As I said, and TomCruise elaborated, there could be a problem with the converter that powers the propulsion motor, which doesn't require a drydock, or it could be a failure of one of the propulsion motor windings, as has happened to Liberty, and this requires a drydock to cut a hole in the hull to remove the motor for repair.

It all depends. As I said, and TomCruise elaborated, there could be a problem with the converter that powers the propulsion motor, which doesn't require a drydock, or it could be a failure of one of the propulsion motor windings, as has happened to Liberty, and this requires a drydock to cut a hole in the hull to remove the motor for repair.

Thanks for the insight.

How long of a dry dock does that usually require? Also, since they have not canceled the 6/23 or 6/30 sailings to put her in dry dock, would that seem to indicate that they think it can be fixed while continuing service?

Thanks for all the great information, chengkp! You're a wealth of knowledge!

How long of a dry dock does that usually require? Also, since they have not canceled the 6/23 or 6/30 sailings to put her in dry dock, would that seem to indicate that they think it can be fixed while continuing service?

Thanks for all the great information, chengkp! You're a wealth of knowledge!

Just because they haven't cancelled near future cruises, doesn't mean it won't require drydock. Drydocks are not available like your neighborhood Jiffy Lube. They are very limited real estate, and tend to be booked years in advance. The Liberty has been sailing at reduced power for months now, and won't be fixed until next spring if I remember correctly. That corresponds to her next statutory drydock. Since Magic just recently had a drydock, and isn't scheduled for another until 2021, this would require scheduling a new docking, which could happen right away, or could take months, depending on dock availability. If it is a motor winding, then it also takes time for the manufacturer to make one, as these are not "off the shelf" items. I would think that a 2 week docking, once the parts are available, would be sufficient to complete a motor repair.

Is it just me, or does $50 OBC not seem like very good compensation for the cancellation of an entire port? I mean, they're not really giving anyone $50 when it's in the form of OBC because they're just going to get it right back. On top of being just a general bummer for someone's vacation, especially those who were looking forward to that port, it could always be a hassle if someone booked excursions outside of Carnival. I know they probably wanted to wait as long as they could before notifying the passengers, but sending out an email a couple/few days before you board isn't a heck of a lot of time.

We're looking at a cruise that just so happens to be on Magic, but that won't be until next year. I don't really hear much about her, but do hear a lot of good things about the Breeze. When it comes to the ships alone, not necessarily their itinerary, should we be looking at the Breeze over Magic?

Proudpatriot, where did you see they credited your account for the upcoming cruise for the canceled port? I check my billing for my cruise and did not see anything. Not worried because I know it will be there when I get on board but was just wondering. As for canceled ports and stuff, ship happens. Read your contract. For me its still a cruise and they can go out 50 miles and do circles for 7 days and I would be happy.

Just because they haven't cancelled near future cruises, doesn't mean it won't require drydock. Drydocks are not available like your neighborhood Jiffy Lube. They are very limited real estate, and tend to be booked years in advance. T...

One option may be to put off another ships already scheduled "drydock" in favor of the ailing ship.

Is it just me, or does $50 OBC not seem like very good compensation for the cancellation of an entire port? ...

It was not clear to me if this was the total credit, including the legally required refund of port fees or was in addition to the port fees.

Proudpatriot, where did you see they credited your account for the upcoming cruise for the canceled port? I check my billing for my cruise and did not see anything. Not worried because I know it will be there when I get on board but was just wondering. As for canceled ports and stuff, ship happens. Read your contract. For me its still a cruise and they can go out 50 miles and do circles for 7 days and I would be happy.
Not Proudpatriot but....go to view or print cruise documents and a window will pop up to print tags, passes or general info. Click on general info and hit submit. Your booking summary comes up. Go to page 2. It will be listed as onboard credit under itemized charges. You should have $50 and $23.10 port charge pp.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

so its running at approximately 85% normal cruising speed.

We are on the June 30th sailing, no word yet if they are dropping a port.

Cruise ships can go 22 to 24 knots, but rarely do. Itineraries are arranged so most ships can do 17 to 19 knots most of the time. that burns less fuel and saves costs.

Is it just me, or does $50 OBC not seem like very good compensation for the cancellation of an entire port? I mean, they're not really giving anyone $50 when it's in the form of OBC because they're just going to get it right back. On top of being just a general bummer for someone's vacation, especially those who were looking forward to that port, it could always be a hassle if someone booked excursions outside of Carnival. I know they probably wanted to wait as long as they could before notifying the passengers, but sending out an email a couple/few days before you board isn't a heck of a lot of time.

We're looking at a cruise that just so happens to be on Magic, but that won't be until next year. I don't really hear much about her, but do hear a lot of good things about the Breeze. When it comes to the ships alone, not necessarily their itinerary, should we be looking at the Breeze over Magic?

Carnival has a terrible history of compensation when things go wrong. Their idea of compensation is laughable and quite insulting really.

What do you think would be reasonable to give back for missing one port? They do not have to give us anything other than port fees.

Things do break and as long as maintenance is done as required this would not be a huge problem for me. There is no guarantee that the cruise you booked is the one you get.

Just because they haven't cancelled near future cruises, doesn't mean it won't require drydock. Drydocks are not available like your neighborhood Jiffy Lube. They are very limited real estate, and tend to be booked years in advance. The Liberty has been sailing at reduced power for months now, and won't be fixed until next spring if I remember correctly. That corresponds to her next statutory drydock. Since Magic just recently had a drydock, and isn't scheduled for another until 2021, this would require scheduling a new docking, which could happen right away, or could take months, depending on dock availability. If it is a motor winding, then it also takes time for the manufacturer to make one, as these are not "off the shelf" items. I would think that a 2 week docking, once the parts are available, would be sufficient to complete a motor repair.

Thanks for the extra info! I guess I just never gave much thought to how long it might take to get space in dry dock. Now I just have to hope they don't happen to get space for the week of my sailing!

I’m on the Magic now and news is we will arrive at about 6:30am.

We are definitely not going very fast (no way we’re even close to 15 knots).

Definitely something wrong with the ship and have no idea when they’ll fix it. Heard from many passengers that they’re A/C is not working and not enough fans to go around. We have A/C and it’s comfortable but not crazy cold.

Hot tubs seemed to work on and off as I’m sure they were conserving energy.

General consensus is $50 OBC not enough to compensate for the premier port stop being cancelled but not much you can do.

Will do brief cruise review next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m on the Magic now and news is we will arrive at about 6:30am.

We are definitely not going very fast (no way we’re even close to 15 knots).

Definitely something wrong with the ship and have no idea when they’ll fix it. Heard from many passengers that they’re A/C is not working and not enough fans to go around. We have A/C and it’s comfortable but not crazy cold.

Hot tubs seemed to work on and off as I’m sure they were conserving energy.

General consensus is $50 OBC not enough to compensate for the premier port stop being cancelled but not much you can do.

Will do brief cruise review next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh man I can't deal with poor AC. I hope she's fixed by September.

One option may be to put off another ships already scheduled "drydock" in favor of the ailing ship.

Unfortunately, the cruise lines tend to put off the drydocks until the last minute of the statutory window, so delaying a ship would probably push it past its mandated time, and then that ship would need to wait months to get a new slot, aggravating the statutory delay.