Ardastra Gardens and Zoo

lswilmot

We have been to Nassau many times, but never went to Ardastra. We are going again in late August on the Enchantment of the Seas, and do not arrive there until noon and stay until midnight. Would you recommend Ardastra for 2 active 60 year olds. If you have been there, how did you get there? Taxi or bus or other way? EOTS does not have a shore excursion that includes this event.

TIA :p

Go! It's great fun! My wife and I have been to Nassau several times, and had another port call there this winter. Since we hadn't visited Ardastra before, we thought, why not? While we were expecting the famous "marching flamingos" to be hokey, in fact it was a totally charming show. The other don't miss is a half-hour of hand-feeding the lory birds (small parakeets). Truly wonderful.

There is no need for an excursion, this is totally do-able on your own. You could take the bus, but know that you'll have a big hill to walk up in the heat. We opted for a cab; it was the most efficient time wise (you want to check Ardastra's web site for the flamingo show time and the bird feeding time; don't miss those).

http://ardastra.com/

We told the cab driver when to come back to pick us up, and he was there as promised. I have also read on here that the front gate person could call a cab if need be. Or you could walk down the hill and find the bus.

Enjoy!

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

We took a taxi and asked the same driver to pick us back up at a designated time. While the zoo was fun, I felt a bit sorry for the small containments for the larger animals. The flamingos and feeding the lorry birds was worth it alone and the employees there were all very pleasant.

We were there last August. There was still some damage from hurricane, but overall a nice small zoo. The marching flamingos were a blast. Our two twenty something's in our group got to go out and March with them. We all had alot of fun. Ages 14 - 78.

Nice zoo & definitely worth your trip. You'll both enjoy the flamingo show and feeding the Lory Parrots is something not to be missed AT ANY AGE! We've gone by taxi & they were nice enough to call a taxi for us when we were ready to leave. You can also make arrangements with your taxi driver to come back at a specific time. I'd tell the driver to come back in 2 or 2 1/2 hours, and that should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a charge to get in the zoo? How far of a cab drive? Is the Fish Fry walking distance from the Zoo or cab? We are looking for something different in Nassau.

Here's the information for the zoo:

http://ardastra.com/visit-ardastra/hours-and-ticketing/

It's about a mile and a half walk to the zoo from port. It's walkable as long as it's not too hot. :)

• 1 month later...

We did this excursion in January 2018. Got cab at the port and had the driver come back for us. We don't care for the beach and this was our 3rd trip to Nassau. We really enjoyed the zoo and gardens. On the way back to port the driver stopped to pick up other passengers at one of the beaches, but they never showed. He shared some island history with us while we waited. Oh, my DH and I are both over 60. We have also done "part" of the walking tour as well, but it is usually VERY hot in Nassau.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great trip!

• 1 year later...

Hey folks,

I'm planning to go in a group of 7 (4 seniors, 2 adults and a toddler) Would we be easily able to get hire a vehicle at the port to carry all of us? Any idea of the return cost? We are also bringing 1 foldable mobility scooter.

46 minutes ago, cruiseelady said:

I went to the zoo from the port twice.  I have been to Nassau many times, and its very easy to walk there, which is what I did.  You will pass Jancanoo beach on your walk to the Asdarda zoo.

Thanks. I think I could as well since I have done runs from the port to Junkanoo in the past. I'm trying to figure out the cost of transportation since I'm traveling with elderly family.

I'm going to be travelling solo...I know there are a lot of varying opinions on safety in Nassau.  I have been there before, but just stayed in relative proximity to the cruise port as well as went on an organized tour.  I'm thinking of visiting the zoo on my trip in January...how safe is this for a white American, single female, mid-30s?  I travel a lot on my own, so I am comfortable doing so, but I don't put myself in questionable situations.

Thanks!