Cruise Critic Community
islandwoman

Moorea: tender dock area

DH and I will be in Moorea on a cruise from 8AM to 5PM. We've been there previously and have done everything we find interesting on the tours that are offered. We would have booked a dive excursion, but the ship's time in port doesn't allow that.

Is there anything to do/see within walking distance of the tender dock area? (shopping is not a priority)

If not, can we count on finding transportation there or must we book a rental car in advance?

Arrange for a rental in advance with Avis. Consider snorkeling at the lagoonarium. Look at reviews on Trip Advisor as there are some negatives and positives (tons of fish but they do feed them). If you like hiking there is a recent trip report from someone who did a hike up to Magic Mountain from the tender dock.

Very little retail (shopping, restaurants, etc.) in the tender port area of Moorea. Most of the activity is retail souvenir shops set-up under temporary tents by the locals.

DH and I will be in Moorea on a cruise from 8AM to 5PM. We've been there previously and have done everything we find interesting on the tours that are offered. We would have booked a dive excursion, but the ship's time in port doesn't allow that.

Is there anything to do/see within walking distance of the tender dock area? (shopping is not a priority)

If not, can we count on finding transportation there or must we book a rental car in advance?

What ship and date are you on?

The Canadians!:cool:

Haven’t decided, any recommendations?

I think we might hike up "Magic Mountain" based on a review from tripadvisor:

"My husband and I hiked up MagicMountain. It was only a short walk from the cruise ship tender dock in Opunohu. The hike is really steep and "breathtaking" but worth it. Uphill we hiked the shorter steeper route and came down the longer one through the woods. The 360 view from the top is fantastic and the hike was fun. Three ATV tours passed us and each tour guide offered us water, one of them even a ride. Everybody is so friendly there. The hike up takes about 40 minutes, downhill a little longer"

Would you want to join us?