Pictures of new lanai rooms on Amsterdam?

Hill260

You can Google for a site that has "Facts" about "HAL". Check out any of the other ships with Lanai cabins (Veendam, Rotterdam, Maasdam) as well as the Amsterdam. Other than décor, all the cabins should give an accurate representation of what the Amsterdam looks like now.

You can Google for a site that has "Facts" about "HAL". Check out any of the other ships with Lanai cabins (Veendam, Rotterdam, Maasdam) as well as the Amsterdam. Other than décor, all the cabins should give an accurate representation of what the Amsterdam looks like now.

Thank you

There are no more dresser drawers in the desk which is a bummer, but they put 3 small drawers in the closet under the safe. And the nightstands still have 2 drawers each.

Are there drawers under the beds, too? Not that I could bend enough to use them, but they could come in handy for more limber people.

Are there drawers under the beds, too? Not that I could bend enough to use them, but they could come in handy for more limber people.

Those along with the round desk stool always became our dirty laundry hampers.

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2018 at 9:43 AM, Hill260 said:

Sailing on Amsterdam in September and have booked a lanai room. Just wondering if anyone has pictures of this and new showers.

Thank you

HI Drowelf...I was wondering if you took any additional photos of the MS Amsterdam Lanai cabin during your recent cruise -or  can share anything about the size of the closets.

I am  trying to decide how many/how large suitcases I can bring. I assume 2 will fit under the bed- but I do have  large 3rd one: a nice garment carrier that is very structured.[I only use it when I travel with long cocktail dresses or gowns, and my husband's tux (which we are doing because we are also doing a cruise with 3 formal nights PLUS we are doing a 25th Anniversary Renewal of Vows)]  I am hoping to hang it in one of the closets, with the clothes still in it.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:43 PM, Hill260 said:

Sailing on Amsterdam in September and have booked a lanai room. Just wondering if anyone has pictures of this and new showers.

Thank you

Unless one has mobility issues a Lanai room would be lower on my scale than an Ocean View and therefore we look at pricing and for our next cruise justified Vista Suite though if pricing had not been reasonable would have booked either Ocean view or Inside rather than Lanai.

However would be interested to know the reasons that one uses to justify the price of a Lanai.

I've only been on one cruise and got a spectacular deal on a verandah, high up, and loved the freedom, serenity and beauty of sitting on ours with a cup of hot cocoa watching the stunning scenery reflected in the water, peacefully, then wandering inside at will. Plus, as an insomniac, it was wonderful having a place to read without waking up my DH.

We couldn't afford the verandah on this next 17 day cruise, but think the ability to walk outside to see the view in a flash, anytime, will be wonderful, as will having our own lounge chairs available all night long.

We'll see. 

Edited by Brandy Girl

On 11/16/2019 at 9:13 PM, Brandy Girl said:

I've only been on one cruise and got a spectacular deal on a verandah, high up, and loved the freedom, serenity and beauty of sitting on ours with a cup of hot cocoa watching the stunning scenery reflected in the water, peacefully, then wandering inside at will. Plus, as an insomniac, it was wonderful having a place to read without waking up my DH.

We couldn't afford the verandah on this next 17 day cruise, but think the ability to walk outside to see the view in a flash, anytime, will be wonderful, as will having our own lounge chairs available all night long.

We'll see. 

When we had a lanai on the Veendam last year, the crew took in the lounge chair cushions at night and replaced them in the morning. The loungers are made of teak slats so they're not very comfortable without the cushions. However, I read at least one post where the lanai occupants stowed their cushions in their cabin to get around that issue.

• Thanks 1

The reason the crew removes the deck chair cushions at night is because the next morning, around 5:30 or 6:00 AM, they come by with hoses to wash the whole promenade deck down.  The cushions would get soaked if they were left out.   The cushions are usually returned by the crew around 7:00 AM.   Lanai cabins are tight enough without storing 2 lounge chair cushions inside.   Unless you like to sleep under the stars, let the crew take them into storage for the night..

Edited by TAD2005

9 hours ago, tregatti said:

When we had a lanai on the Veendam last year, the crew took in the lounge chair cushions at night and replaced them in the morning. The loungers are made of teak slats so they're not very comfortable without the cushions. However, I read at least one post where the lanai occupants stowed their cushions in their cabin to get around that issue.

We stowed our cushions behind the curtains where the wall is (not where the door is).  They took up no floor space.  In fact, most of the time we simply forgot they were there.  We were able to use the cushions later in the evening.  We brought them back into the cabin and stored them, so they wouldn't get wet.  Each morning, however, the stewards had placed new cushions on our chairs, so we simply kept the ones that were stored.

As for why we spent the extra money on a lanai, we wanted to try this category.  Now, we're hooked, so much so that we have reserved one on our 2020 14-day Christmas cruise.  I loved having the Promenade Deck right outside my door.  Except for certain busy hours during the day, the space felt deserted, and it was as if we had an extra wide balcony.  We liked having the reserved lounge chairs, and no one ever sat in our chairs.  I'd read problems with others "taking up residence" in reserved chairs, but we never had that problem.  A few times, we enjoyed room service while in our chairs.  Nice change of pace.  

I agree that a lanai cabin may not suit some passengers.  Some may refuse to pay the higher price for a category with dubious value in their opinion.  I understand all that.  Obviously enough passengers are booking this category because my PCC tells me that this category is in high demand.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2019 at 5:53 AM, Brandy Girl said:

HI Drowelf...I was wondering if you took any additional photos of the MS Amsterdam Lanai cabin during your recent cruise -or  can share anything about the size of the closets.

I am  trying to decide how many/how large suitcases I can bring. I assume 2 will fit under the bed- but I do have  large 3rd one: a nice garment carrier that is very structured.[I only use it when I travel with long cocktail dresses or gowns, and my husband's tux (which we are doing because we are also doing a cruise with 3 formal nights PLUS we are doing a 25th Anniversary Renewal of Vows)]  I am hoping to hang it in one of the closets, with the clothes still in it.

Take all suitcases you want to bring. Unpack and then ask the cabinsteward to stow your empty suitcase  somewhere else. He wil bring it back the day before debarkation. We have done this before and it is no problem.

• Thanks 1

Tutu, No, you can not see into the lanai cabins. Some say you can, but I have been outside plenty of nights and we could not see into the cabins. 

My husband and I booked a lanai cabin on July 15th 2019 - 2 week Alaska cruise on Amsterdam. We chose this cabin because my husband had mobility issues and the lanai had a shower, also hoping to zip outside easily if there were any sightings.

I personally would not book a lanai cabin again. There is a "switch" to unlock the sliding door each time you exit. You are given a key card to unlock the door when you are on the outside trying to get inside. The door is very heavy. People crowded along the deck railing, making your chair view difficult to watch the scenery. We have booked suites in the past, so although we knew the sq footage would be smaller, was somewhat disappointed as to how small it actually was.  Many people put obstructions in their doors to keep them open. (We called our neighbors the cribbage people because they put their board in the doorway).

We decided to go back to an SY cabin for a 6 week sailing coming up in March/April 2020.

• Thanks 1