mrs.cog

Prague purchase

Is there anything you look forward to purchasing in Prague?

Beer and Pork Knuckles!

Europe%202017_05-032-L.jpg

If you are talking about souvenirs to bring home... Sorry, can't help much there as we are useless in the shopping department.

The Czech Republic has some very nice wines. I would recommend Pálava sladká.

Also, there is a wonderful restaurant called Cafe Imperial at Na Porici 1072/15.

One if the best meals I’ve ever had: Veal cheeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you like to buy jewelry, they say that Prague is a place to buy garnets. We certainly saw a lot of them in the hotel gift shop and in jewelry store windows as we wandered the streets (be sure to shop in a store with the VAT refund sign (I forget what is is called) in the window and get the needed paperwork for a VAT refund).

We also bought a few very small pieces of white on blue china.

BUT--and artists take note --, imho, our best find was Koh-i-noor Triograph drawing pencils and I wish I had bought more!!. Koh-i-noor is a Czech brand of pencils and we found them (and other Koh-i-nor drawing supplies) in a eponymous little shop at Týn 1049/3 ( a few doors up from The Dubliner Pub). I love the pencils and have tried to buy more of them at home but can only find a few weights.

Yes, the food! A couple of delicious cheap authentic restaurants tucked away at the back of the Old Town Square down alley ways. From memory, to the right of the lovely blue building directly across from the Astronomical Clock. The owners will harass you to go in which is annoying but worthwhile! Try dumplings and the beef dishes. Sauces to die for. And as the above poster said, Garnets. I got a beauty, from the Vtlava no less. We queued for a long time at the airport to get our VAT back. No sure if I'd bother again. I also got a small replica of the Astronomical Clock. Broke as soon as I got home but still lovely to look at.

Garnets are definitely a specialty in Prague. We actually found a small shop at the end of Wenceslas Square that had Christmas ornaments. They took metal frames - like the kind that are used for sun catchers. They mix shards of garnets with epoxy and put them in these frames. Voila - hanging ornaments!! And, quite reasonably priced.

We bought a small drawing from an artist by the Charles Bridge. Lots of artists on the bridge... so, go early if you can. Lots of tourists as well.

For food - we went to the Kolkovna - a few blocks from the Old Town Square. Quite busy, so you may need a reservation. But - no visit to Prague is complete with a glass (or two) of Pilsner Urquell. Love Czech beer!!

Fran