MSC Deny that my sister was ill onboard Meraviglia and other issues!

mdj101

We booked a cruise for 8 of us on Meraviglia earlier in the year. Our first cruise on MSC.

I'll start of by saying the ship itself is magnificent and the Spa is fantastic. However that's about as far as the good points go.

We had various issues whilst on board but I won't bore you too much with that.

HOWEVER.

We were over billed to the tune of about £120. A couple of reasons for that but the main one being we were offered compensation by the way of two bali massages, however there were no Bali massages available and were told to book something else instead. Which we did. (the cost of this was less than the massages so we were not taking the biscuit)

The charge for the treatments then appeared on our account. I approached guest services and was shocked when I was told that the charges would stand as we were offered Bali massages. They were not transferable. I explained that there were no massages available and was told by (pointing to other CS agent) to book something else. She totally lied and denied she had said that. Well that really got my back up. This was the second time on the cruise a member of crew had blatantly lied in front our our faces.

So, it's taken me TWO months to get a refund for it, but finally I got it.

BUT THAT'S NOT THE WORSE OF IT!

As a treat for my sister I booked her and her other half in to the tepenyaki restaurant. They were with their 9 month old and don't get to go out much so this was a nice treat for them. Within hours my sister was being violently ill. I mean VIOLENTLY.

I went back to guest services who sent the doctor who administered some injections and other medicines. No one else in the cabin fell ill and the doctor didn't confine her to her cabin. So there was no case of infectious virus, it was clear that it was a case of food poisoning.

It's now been nearly Three months since our return and can you believe it on Tuesday MSC denied that my sister was ever ill.

They said there is no record of my complaints to CS and there is no record of the doctor visiting my sister.

So I promptly emailed them a copy of the medical questionnaire that the doctor asked my sister to complete. A copy which is kept by the ship and a copy which my sister kept.

Imagine my surprise today when MSC emailed me again with their FINAL RESPONSE on the matter.

Dear Mr *****

RE: MSC Meraviglia – 6th April 2018

Thank you for your further correspondence received regarding your recent cruise.

Whilst we appreciate your feedback, as per the ship’s medical records there is no evidence

of any alleged food poisoning that may have occurred on board and therefore it is with

regret to advise once again that MSC Cruises will not be proceeding any further with this

claim.

With regards to cancelling your future bookings, kindly contact your Travel Agent directly

who will advise you accordingly, however you will be liable for the cancellations as per the

Terms & Conditions.

We would like to offer our sincere apologies once again for any disappointment felt,

however we can only hope that one day you may reconsider using our services again in the

near future when we hope to be able to restore your good faith in our company.

In the meantime, please accept our very best wishes.

Yours sincerely,

I am absolutely GOBSMACKED that a company can treat it's customers like this.

So. This was my reply

Hi *****

I really cannot believe that despite providing you with evidence that my sister was visited by the on board doctor you are still denying that she was ever ill. I think you have a serious problem here if your on board doctor is not recording visits!

You have pretty much called me a liar and claimed that it never happened.

How can you expect a customer to continue spending their money with you when you treat them like this!?

I booked this future cruise before taking this one, but since taking it it has become apparent that MSC really don't give a monkeys about their customers.

It's taken 2 months for me to get money back that I shouldn't have been billed in the first place and I've not even received any interest payment or gesture of goodwill. Interest I'm legally entitled too.

Had you admitted that my sister had been ill and made a simple goodwill gesture weeks ago, we wouldn't be where we are now. I wasn't demanding a full refund or a discount on a future cruise IN FACT I've not asked for anything at all! All I wanted was for someone to admit it happened, take some responsibility and say sorry. BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN DO THAT! but all you've done is denied it ever happened and THAT IS DISGUSTING.

I will also be contacting our solicitors as a mater of course. Something that could have been easily resolved for little or no cost is now likely to cost you tens of thousands is legal fees. WHERE IS THE SENSE IN THAT!

I don't see anywhere in that email that MSC denied that the sister was ill. Here is what it does say:

as per the ship’s medical records there is no evidence

of any alleged food poisoning that may have occurred on board

I am sorry you had such a frustrating time. Very happy you got your refund. From some of what I have seen around here 2 mths is good! From what I am reading it does not appear they deny the medical visit, but they deny any food poisoning. Food poisoning is very difficult to prove (although it does sound like it to me as well). It would have been better if a large number of people fell ill after eating at the restaurant. Not better, but better for your case.

You are spending so much time and energy on this. There is no proof of food poisoning. Unless there is you are spitting into the wind. They don't care. I hope you can let this go. It's not good for you.

Like i've said. A simple acknowledgement would have gone a long way, but it will now go to a solicitor. They wouldn't take it if they didn't think they could win.

I just don't get why these big companies behave like this. CUSTOMER SERVICE is KING.

I'll never cruise with MSC again.

MSC always had the policy that you can cancel (for example) land excursions only with a letter from the ships hospital. Usually this costs 70 Euro and the excursion costs maybe 65 Euro, so people mostly either just go on the excursion or just forfeit.

And IF the hospital is not billing you that must have a reason. I also see zero chance for a proof of food poisoning that MSC is liable for without the respective medical documentation.

Look my MIL is a defendant in a frivolous lawsuit that is now 12+ years old. (Plaintiff can’t prove case and hopefully it is about to end). We have spent (DH and I are paying the lawyers since MIL is elderly now) about 25k defending it and the plaintiff has no doubt spent double that (he wants 120k roll eyes).

My point is not whether you have a frivolous claim, but how much are you willing to invest on pursuing something you are going to lose. You are guessing food poisoning, which if no one else got sick, remains a GUESS and will never be proven.

Take your business elsewhere and be done with them.

It is truly an empty threat for you to threaten a lawyer.

I understand MSC's response. They are telling you that there are no records of alleged food poisoning on the ship; they are not denying that your sister became ill.

From an epidemiological standpoint, it is probably true your sister did not have food poisoning from anything she ate on the ship, especially the most recent meal.

If that meal had been so contaminated that she became ill that fast, others on board would have also have developed symptoms.

Because most symptoms from a food born pathogen usually takes a great while longer to show up and it was from a previous meal on the ship, other people would also be sick.

Most likely, if the illness was food born, it was something she ate or drank ashore or even before she boarded the ship.

You will lose the case as MSC will have the epidemiological evidence of no other alleged food poisoning on the ship.

As stated before, food poisoning is very hard to prove when it was just one person. Actually, next to impossible. If her DH or others who ate the same thing, same time had gotten ill, it's a bit easier and harder for the cruise line to say it wasn't.

For peace of mind, it would probably be best to move along in life. But I get that some people aren't wired that way - either not wanting peace or not one to move along. But it is about a choice.

Within hours my sister was being violently ill. I mean VIOLENTLY.

That could have been a allergic reaction.

For example... my wife reacts to certain types of shellfish and it took us

several fine dining experiences to find out until we pinpointed and linked

the type of food she had every time.

A comprehensive food allergy test resulted in a certain shellfish allergy

and since then my wife avoids shellfish and she never had a reaction since.

Look out for "hidden" ingredients in food, like anchovies in BBQ-sauce :confused:

It's never an empty threat, and taking them to court won't cost me a penny so I have nothing to lose.

Then I hope you come back and update us when you hire a lawyer (Lol) and when that lawyer starts working for you for free (lol). I guess there are no court costs either in the UK. Lol.

Have fun! How much money do you want from MSC because your sister got sick, which was most likely unrelated to food poisoning?

I am also interested in hearing how you sue for free so am following for reply. I am interested to hear what you are interested in receiving from MSC also. Even if you do not incur costs you will surely invest time (but it does appear that you do have a lot of time available based on this thread).

I did have food poisoning once and it was traced back to a meal 48 hours earlier. The last meal is usually what people think caused the sickness.

Then I hope you come back and update us when you hire a lawyer (Lol) and when that lawyer starts working for you for free (lol). I guess there are no court costs either in the UK. Lol.

Have fun! How much money do you want from MSC because your sister got sick, which was most likely unrelated to food poisoning?

It’s amazing how some folks just can’t let go. 99 percent goes well and they still talk Lawyer. When no lawyer in his right mind would do it with out a retainer... maybe 30k?

Take that

Money. Go on your booked cruise and relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's never an empty threat, and taking them to court won't cost me a penny so I have nothing to lose.

Why are you so worked up? It's your sister who was sick, not you. Nor are you the plaintiff in any legal action.

Be very careful if the lawyer you are consulting is on a no win no fee basis If you lose you the judge usually awards the defendants cost against the plaintive.

I also suspect your sister had an allergic reaction to something in the meal she ate, I get a bad reaction to some Mexican spices.

Be very careful if the lawyer you are consulting is on a no win no fee basis If you lose you the judge usually awards the defendants cost against the plaintive.

I also suspect your sister had an allergic reaction to something in the meal she ate, I get a bad reaction to some Mexican spices.

Yes, my Mil has placed in the pre trial documents that she will go for damages when the plaintiff loses.

But, I mean, it’s ridiculous to even say that. Op isn’t even an affected party in the stomach virus incident.