Rascal1

Silhouette looks like she is at anchor and not docked at St Petersburg?

Hi, looking at ship trackers, the silhouette is just outside of St Petersburg at anchor and not docked. I think based on the itinerary she should have docked at 7am. The trackers may have it wrong but they are generally accurate - does anyone know if that's the case and why? Thanks.

Been watching that all day. She sailed around a bit, is stationary again. Wonder if they have refused her docking...EM

Yes we are at anchor..too windy to get up the channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='born2krooz']Yes we are at anchor..too windy to get up the channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

That's huge disappointment. How many days are you scheduled to be in St Petersburg?

They'e missed their first day. Just have tomorrow. Must be the size. Little Hamburg made it in, and she was behind them. She's docked downtown. Zuiderdam, Mein Schiff 1 and Britannia have made it out...EM

Wow - I was supposed to be on that cruise, but we had to change to the August 4th sailing. How disappointing that must be, but hopefully they will at least have the day tomorrow.

Mike

We were on the Silhouette August 2016 and also had itinerary changes in St Petersburg. After our 2 days there, we couldn’t leave due to high winds so we spent an extra night tho we couldn’t get off of the ship and ultimately missed Helsinki. Enjoy your time in St Petersburg.

Sent from my iPad using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

We are at sea again today due to weather and thus won't be visiting St Petersburg on this cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, I just saw it on Marinetraffic that the Silhouette is leaving (I checked as my DH is on the Seabourn Ovation). I´ve been on the Silhouette in July 2016 and we missed out the first day due to heavy storms and flooding in town. No ship was able to leave the port and we were not able to get in (plus no docking space as the others didn´t make it out).

Hamburg, Deutschland and Azamara Journey are downtown. Artania and Seabourn Ovation are docked in the cruise port. All of them are smaller ships.

steamboats

The disappointment is quite evident on the ship. The atmosphere is very subdued and public spaces are crowded. Finding places for two to sit together is near impossible. It’s too chilly to be outside. We booked this cruise for St. Petersburg as did most on the ship and hope to have the opportunity to go there again (but not on a cruise) but some of the much older couples are devastated. The captain said this has only happened once before, three years ago, and for only the first day. It’s interesting to read that it also happened in August, 2016.

OMG ..we were on this cruise just 2 weeks ago and had lovely weather in SPB ...how quickly Mother Nature can change her mind !!

Very disappointing, this was the reason we booked this cruise, for St. Petersburg. Upsetting too that Celebrity's response is "mother nature" so sorry.

[quote name='aus30']Very disappointing, this was the reason we booked this cruise, for St. Petersburg. Upsetting too that Celebrity's response is "mother nature" so sorry.[/QUOTE]

So what would you suggest as a solution? I was up at 4 when they tried to make another attempt at getting in..it was quite scary. Cruise itineraries are always subject to change and safety always comes first.

Aus30, so you would have the Captain risk the safety of his passengers and crew, not to mention the seaworthiness of his vessel? I don’t understand that.:o

I am sorry to hear this, I understand that people on board must be terribly disappointed :(

[quote name='aus30']Very disappointing, this was the reason we booked this cruise, for St. Petersburg. Upsetting too that Celebrity's response is "mother nature" so sorry.[/quote]Perhaps, you're not that familiar with cruising. No itinerary is guaranteed on any ship, on any sailing. The safety of the ship and it's passengers are of the utmost importance. Yes, it can be disappointing when you miss a favorite port, but that's cruising for you! Perhaps Celebrity will make some type of good will gesture to these passengers, but they are certainly not obliged to do so.

This happened on a cruise two years ago. I think it was the Silhouette and they only had the one day instead of two days. 6/7 July 2016. We were following them on the Eclipse, but were a couple of days behind them. We were there 9/10/11 July 2016 and fortunately for us we didn’t suffer the disappointment that the weather has created for others.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

[quote name='kcraw4d']We are at sea again today due to weather and thus won't be visiting St Petersburg on this cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote]

oh no...that is too bad. :(

Yes, I received a text from my friends who are currently on the Silhouette. Due to strong winds, the ship was not able to dock in St. Petersburg on either of the 2 days. They are now on their way to Warnemunde. It is unfortunate that they missed St. Petersburg (which, imho, is the crown jewel in the Baltic itineraries) but there is no guarantee that any ship can dock at a specific port. It rarely happens in St. Petersburg but it can and does occasionally occur.

I am so sorry for everyone on board. Hope the rest of the cruise exceeds their expectations.

Thank you for the updates, so sorry for everyone who booked the cruise because of St Petersburg, people will understandably be disappointed but glad to see people are supporting the Captain's decision due to safety. We were lucky and had gorgeous weather a few weeks ago but after seeing the sail in/out, some parts of the channel are really tight and that high winds don't mix well with big cruise ships in the tight bits. The following day after we went to Stockholm, a cruise ship behind us couldn't dock due to winds. Unfortunately it is mother nature and can happen. Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise. We loved Warnemunde, really nice port to walk around and paddle in the sea.

[quote name='Lady Arwen']Perhaps, you're not that familiar with cruising. No itinerary is guaranteed on any ship, on any sailing. The safety of the ship and it's passengers are of the utmost importance. Yes, it can be disappointing when you miss a favorite port, but that's cruising for you! [B][I]Perhaps Celebrity will make some type of good will gesture to these passengers, but they are certainly not obliged to do so[/I][/B].[/quote]

I imagine that port fees will be refunded? Otherwise, as disappointing as it is, def is the nature of cruising and Mother Nature!

Silhouette is scheduled to arrive at Warnemünde / Rostock July 3 at 22:30

[quote name='born2krooz']I was up at 4 when they tried to make another attempt at getting in..it was quite scary. Cruise itineraries are always subject to change and safety always comes first.
[/QUOTE]
So sorry to hear about this unfortunate weather for all of those who are on board.

Just out of curiosity (as you mentioned you were up and they tried to attempt getting in), how many times did the ship "attempt" to get in to port?

I didn't really realize that the ship will "try" or "attempt" to get in. I just assumed they made decisions further out, based on the water conditions, weather forecasts, computers, etc.

[quote name='bengaltiger1']This happened on a cruise two years ago. I think it was the Silhouette and they only had the one day instead of two days. 6/7 July 2016. We were following them on the Eclipse, but were a couple of days behind them. We were there 9/10/11 July 2016 and fortunately for us we didn’t suffer the disappointment that the weather has created for others.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url][/QUOTE]

It was the Silhouette 2 years ago. We missed July 6 but made it in July 7. I can imagine how disappointed everyone must be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='gerelmx']Silhouette is scheduled to arrive at Warnemünde July 3 at 22:30[/quote]

Now that is a windy place; I remember getting wind burnt there when we visited on a very similar itinerary on Connie a good few years ago. Fully understand why they didn’t dock in St. Petersburg, but it’s such a shame as it’s a wonderful place to visit.

[quote name='villauk']Now that is a windy place; I remember getting wind burnt there when we visited on a very similar itinerary on Connie a good few years ago. Fully understand why they didn’t dock in St. Petersburg, but it’s such a shame as it’s a wonderful place to visit.[/quote]

That must have been 2014. We were in on the Royal Princess and saw the Connie in port at the same time. In retrospect, I have since sailed on the Connie in 2016 and much prefer it to the Royal Princess.

Princess sends the Regal Princess, Royal's sister ship to St Petersburg this summer. It is about the same size as the Silhouette. I wonder if it got to dock in St Petersburg.

This is one of my favorite itineraries and St Petersburg is easily the best thing about that itinerary. I can't imagine the frustration of those passengers.

[quote name='WestLakeGirl']Aus30, so you would have the Captain risk the safety of his passengers and crew, not to mention the seaworthiness of his vessel? I don’t understand that.:o[/quote]
I think being offered a discount on a Russia cruise in the future would be great. Some people would take it, some people wouldn't. But at least it is something.

Insurance carriers could jump on this. You could pay a fee to have a replacement cruise IF what you wanted didn’t occur. Pick a number say $5000 coverage for a Baltic week. St Petersburg port missed once in 50 attempts. Insurance costs say $150. Many would consider it since for most its once in a lifetime? I agree safety has to be a priority but you pay to go to St Petersburg, Jerusalem, Rome etc. Why shouldn’t you be able to protect your dream if you chose?

[quote name='hubofhockey']That must have been 2014. We were in on the Royal Princess and saw the Connie in port at the same time. In retrospect, I have since sailed on the Connie in 2016 and much prefer it to the Royal Princess.

Princess sends the Regal Princess, Royal's sister ship to St Petersburg this summer. It is about the same size as the Silhouette. I wonder if it got to dock in St Petersburg.

This is one of my favorite itineraries and St Petersburg is easily the best thing about that itinerary. I can't imagine the frustration of those passengers.[/quote]

Just checked my signature and it was 2010 :o - where did that time go :D?

Our understanding of the situation is that the Silhouette’s size and tonnage with sudden wind gust (it was windy but not terribly so) prevented her from entering into the main channel (still three hours away) to get to St. Petersburg. Smaller ships did go through. We may try to get to St. Petersburg again with a different itinerary but definitely on a smaller ship! Celebrity should consider one of the M class ships for an itinerary including SP.

[quote name='NCHPcruiser']Our understanding of the situation is that the Silhouette’s size and tonnage with sudden wind gust (it was windy but not terribly so) prevented her from entering into the main channel (still three hours away) to get to St. Petersburg. Smaller ships did go through. We may try to get to St. Petersburg again with a different itinerary but definitely on a smaller ship! Celebrity should consider one of the M class ships for an itinerary including SP.[/quote]

We definitely sailed on Connie to St. Petersburg in 2010 ;).

[quote name='villauk']We definitely sailed on Connie to St. Petersburg in 2010 ;).[/quote]

And we sailed on Connie to St. Petersburg in 2009. She's a great ship and it was a great trip.

Looking forward to returning on Silhouette next month.

Mike

Hi all,

We were on the NCL Breakaway two weeks ago and (thankfully!) made St. Petersburg, but missed Helsinki due to high winds. I was so disappointed (I'm of Finnish descent and was so looking forward to setting foot on the land of my grandparents)! NCL provided a $15 pp credit for port fees and inconvenience.

My learning is that these megaships come with their downsides, perhaps especially in regions where weather/winds can play a big role in port accessibility. The day that we didn't make Helsinki, the AIDA Diva make it no problema. When/if I sail the Baltics again, it'll be on a smaller ship.

So sorry for the folks on board the Silhouette! SPB was amazing and for most, I'm sure, the most anticipated port...and one that is challenging to visit on your own (VISA requirements etc).

Lynne

[quote name='in2up2']It was the Silhouette 2 years ago. We missed July 6 but made it in July 7. I can imagine how disappointed everyone must be. [/quote]

Yep, we´ve been on the same cruise.

steamboats

[quote name='mandream']And we sailed on Connie to St. Petersburg in 2009. She's a great ship and it was a great trip.

Looking forward to returning on Silhouette next month.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with your observation. I was on her in June, 2008.

Sent from my iPad using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

[quote name='mandream']And we sailed on Connie to St. Petersburg in 2009. She's a great ship and it was a great trip.

Mike[/quote]

If I recall correctly, we embarked from Amsterdam on that Baltics cruise :confused:.

We were on the Silhouette cruise out of Amsterdam two years ago that only had one day in St. Petersburg. Yes, it was disappointing, but I was over it fairly quickly, because as others have reminded us, there are no guarantees on any ports, and safety has to be the priority. A 2-day Celebrity tour that we had planned on was cut to one day, and there was no attempt to reduce the time at each location and make up any of the missed sites, which unfortunately included the Peterhof. I had been so looking forward to those fountains. We did see the Hermitage, which was on my must see list. Those on the 2-day Moscow visit were very disappointed since they didn't get to do this at all. One half of the price of the tour was refunded to our account immediately. I did hear that some of those who had booked on their own with a tour company did a bit better, because they reduced the time at each location and made up a couple of the places that had been scheduled for the "lost" day. Maybe someone who was on one of these can report what happened to them. Also disappointing was the cancellation of the Russian Dance Troupe which was scheduled to perform on board for the between evening, and were left standing on the dock while we were pitching about in the Baltic. In any case, we made the best of it and learned that nothing is guaranteed, and there is no use yelling at the patient staff at Customer Relations as some were doing. I'd love to go back someday to see that palace!