Cruise Critic Community
Chief93

A little vegetarian help please

Has anyone had the "root vegetables in a pie crust" on lobster night? Since I've had vegetarianism thrust upon me I've really enjoyed the Indian vegetarian option in the MDR, but have never had the guts to try this entree. I'm worried it will have cinnamon in it.

Has anyone had the "root vegetables in a pie crust" on lobster night? Since I've had vegetarianism thrust upon me I've really enjoyed the Indian vegetarian option in the MDR, but have never had the guts to try this entree. I'm worried it will have cinnamon in it.

It does and I could detect nutmeg which I would have preferred to the cinnamon. It was dry but I only had it the once so it could have been a one off. Good luck and happy cruising.

I’ve had it many times on the West Coast ships since it first came out. Every time it has been a bit different. It’s basically a small pie shell with root vegetables piled high. I’ve had different vegetables each time, don’t know if it’s because the recipe changes or the scoop in mine is different than the next scoop. Sometimes it’s almost dry, sometimes it’s almost too moist. It’s never been spicy hot, it usually has a decent to good taste.

Quite honestly it’s the most inconsistent thing I’ve ever had on a Carnival menu. I do order it almost every cruise. It shouldn’t have cinnamon, never tasted cinnamon in it. Ask the waiter or hostess to confirm the ingredients for you.

Some ships will have the root vegetable pot pie on the dinner buffet.

Sometimes the mains don’t interest me so I’ll order several appetizers.

FWIW the Root Vegetable entree is very different than the Yam, Cinnamon, Cheddar Pot Pie entree.

FWIW the Root Vegetable entree is very different than the Yam, Cinnamon, Cheddar Pot Pie entree.

Yes, this is quite true, not the same at all. The root vegetables aren't nearly as sweet as the yam as to be expected. The one time I had the Root Vegetable there were parsnips in it and they always taste like cinnamon to me so that could be what gave the flavor of cinnamon in my serving.

Thanks everyone. Think I will try it. I can always ask for the Indian if I don't like it.

Thanks everyone. Think I will try it. I can always ask for the Indian if I don't like it.

Right you are, even vegetarians can request another entree on Carnival should their first selection disappoint.

Have a fun vacation.

Also, don't be afraid to ask if they have an off menu option or something on the menu that can be made vegetarian. I've cruised with a vegetarian before, and if they didn't want what was being offered as the veggie entree, there would usually be a pasta dish that they would offer to be made veggie, or they could ask for servings of any veggie side dish that was available.

I have eaten this dish. It is delicious! Do you not like cinnamon?

I also order the fish dish most nights. Do you eat fish/seafood?

I love the hot soups but I can't eat most because of dietary restrictions. I spoke with the hostess each night and requested vegetarian soup for the next night's dinner. Chef was very accommodating. Most soups were delicious!

I absoultely love the Indian vegetarian dishes. They change every night, too. My meat-eating husband was jealous of my Indian food both nights. I do like the root vegetables in the pie crust as well, and the spanokopita isn't too bad either for a vegetarian dish.

The Tandoor has some good options- get the sauces on the side to spice things up. The Deli also has a wonderful tomato, mozzerella, and arugula sandwich that I liked, got it grilled and it was delicious.

Also Guy's Burgers has a veggie burger; you just have to ask for them to make it at the counter. It takes around 5 minutes but is so worth it.

The only vegetarian dish I didn't care for was the Masala Dosa on the breakfast menu... just wasn't a fan. But there's tons of ways to eat veggie at breakfast on a cruise. I just didn't order it again.

The vegetarian Indian is better than if you special order meat. And we loved the masala dosa so please do try it to see if it is to your tastes.

The root veggie pie is “ok” - I prefer Indian over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums