Cruise Critic Community
macsford

Upgrading on board for b2b

We recently enjoyed our back to back Alaska cruise on Millenium.

Originally booked the first cruise in Aqua , a few months later booked to add the second week in an outside cabin.

Both booked with Celebrity UK.

While on board we spoke to the hotel manager (I think that was her job title) and asked to stay with Aqua for the second week should there be a room available

The day before the first cruise ended our changed booking was confirmed and we paid on board for the upgrade. We did move from one Aqua cabin to another. Incidentally handled very well with our great room stewards.

When I looked this week at our Captains Club points I saw that we had only got the second week's points for the original outside cabin booking.

Now I have telephoned Captains Club in the UK who tell me that as the Aqua price was reduced we only get the original 2 points per night.

My view was no extra points for a complimentary upgrade (that would be good!) but that we did get points for a paid upgrade.

Have I misunderstood?

Thank you for any information of experiences of this.

We had a wonderful time, anyway.

Sandra

There is a clause on the webpage that says no extra points for certain types of upgrade. We paid extra to move from OV to Aqua about a month before a cruise but because of the offer from Celebrity we did not qualify for the points

and each time we have been upgraded to Aqua or CC because of post final payment price drops we have gotten the extra points.....but we are in the US so the rules are different. Maybe?

The key here is if your price to upgrade is less than the current published rate (minus what you originally paid) then you won't get the extra points. I suspect that the upgrade done onboard was at a rate discounted from what the published rate was on that day. Hard to say for sure without the details.

and each time we have been upgraded to Aqua or CC because of post final payment price drops we have gotten the extra points.....but we are in the US so the rules are different. Maybe?

Moving up a category because of a drop in price is different from a last minute paid upgrade. Last minute upgrades, now part of the "move up" program on 5 ships--and the subject of emails/phone calls a few days prior to departure for some others--don't provide upgraded Captains Club points. If the OP paid a fare equal to the posted price for the new AQ cabin at the time of the upgrade, then the OP has a good case to make; however, if there were no AQ cabins listed as available for booking at the time or OP paid less, then I don't think there's much of a leg to stand on when seeking extra points.

With all that said, if I were in that spot, I'd still put together a heart felt email to Celebrity stating my love for the line and how very much I'd counted on those extra points bringing me a bit closer to:

• a bag of laundry
  • a free coffee
  • a seat & drink in MC

Not to mention the admiration from my family and esteem from the community that flows from achieving ever higher ranks in CC.

Edited by cmhdoogalsatsea

Twice we have been upgraded from AQ to a Suite paying more $ but less than the current price. We receive the points for the original category.

I may be wrong but I believe X changed to their current policy in Dec 2015. The reason I remember this is because we got a last minute deal for $375 pp to upgrade from an OV to the RS on a Nov 2015 Galapagos cruise on the Xpedition.

A week or so later we received an email stating they were going to change their policy to what’s in place now and we were wondering if our cruise points were going to be impacted. Lucky for us they weren’t and we received 180 points for that 10 day cruise. But from what I’m reading in this thread those days appear to be long gone when it comes to last minute upgrades.

Thank you for all your helpful information.

We will never acheive any top status and will continue to enjoy Celebrity.

I just was unclear about the rules but pleased to know that the accounting of the points was accurate..

The only important things are that we had a wonderful time, we were happy with the prices paid and ultimately not terribly excited about a little free laundry.

Sandra