What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

32 minutes ago, GINNY L said:

How many people who booked through a travel agent got their bid accepted?  I have bid on Norwegian five times and never had my bid accepted.  I booked through a travel agent.

It's unlikely that it has to do with booking direct or through a TA.  It is more likely the bid amount and/or the number of cabins available.

28 minutes ago, GINNY L said:

How many people who booked through a travel agent got their bid accepted?  I have bid on Norwegian five times and never had my bid accepted.  I booked through a travel agent.

As far as I know, how you book has nothing to do with getting your bid accepted.  There have been discussions about whether or not you will get an offer to bid if you go through a TA - something about your TA has to participate in the program, whatever that means.  I've always gotten a bid offer, TA or not.  Just had a bid accepted for an upcoming cruise, booked through a TA.  If I remember correctly, that makes me 1/2 on bids because I don't always bid and othertimes I simply upgrade if prices have dropped and then cancel the bid.

5 minutes ago, DinaS said:

It's unlikely that it has to do with booking direct or through a TA.  It is more likely the bid amount and/or the number of cabins available.

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

As far as I know, how you book has nothing to do with getting your bid accepted.  There have been discussions about whether or not you will get an offer to bid if you go through a TA - something about your TA has to participate in the program, whatever that means.  I've always gotten a bid offer, TA or not.  Just had a bid accepted for an upcoming cruise, booked through a TA.  If I remember correctly, that makes me 1/2 on bids because I don't always bid and othertimes I simply upgrade if prices have dropped and then cancel the bid.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.  I use a travel agent just to get a little extra on board credit.  However, I just never get my bids accepted.  However, I guess going from balcony to a haven cabin you need to bid pretty well.  I am usually at $600 a person bid.

Usually bids for the Haven rarely gets accepted if in the poor range. Bid what you can afford but placing your bid in the fair range or better would give you better chances.

As other posters mentioned maybe your TA has opt out of the bid program, that would explain why you do not get the bid invitation/email.

Good luck with your bids!

28 minutes ago, Nath said:

Usually bids for the Haven rarely gets accepted if in the poor range. Bid what you can afford but placing your bid in the fair range or better would give you better chances.

As other posters mentioned maybe your TA has opt out of the bid program, that would explain why you do not get the bid invitation/email.

Good luck with your bids!

I get the emails to do the bids, my bids were  never accepted.

Edited by GINNY L

1 hour ago, Steve007NY said:

We bid $120 for upgrade from balcony to spa balcony on the  escape for a weeklong cruise. The bid was  Accepted

Wow, congrats. I have a bid on spa balcony and spa mini for a cruise next week and haven't heard anything yet.  When is your cruise?

14 hours ago, dexddd said:

Don't think it is a gap.  As sailing nears, they have to move rooms.  Upgrading someone now leaves a less desirable room to sell at lower price.  They can hope people miss this gap between bid and lowering straight upgrade.  That way they can hook the bidders at the larger gap now.

Quick follow up. Today morning the plusgrade site offered correct upgrade list range from M to H.

On the other hand after the upgrade the shareholder OBC disappeared from my reservation. I think I saw this before, so assuming it's a glitch. (Will print the amenities receipt just in case).

3 minutes ago, lixogab said:

Quick follow up. Today morning the plusgrade site offered correct upgrade list range from M to H.

On the other hand after the upgrade the shareholder OBC disappeared from my reservation. I think I saw this before, so assuming it's a glitch. (Will print the amenities receipt just in case).

Shareholder obc always seems to appear at random times in random places.  It's usually in the summary but not in the details.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

This is no bug! NCL is out to make as much money as possible with this bidding program; there is absolutely no incentive for them to have a bid trigger when they drop prices to sell more cabins.  If someone doesn't check the prices between their current cabin and the cabin cat. they are bidding on, well, that's up to them. I check the prices frequently and there's also an app (I think CC offers 1) that will identify price drops for you.  

It's like most things in life, you're responsible for taking care of your own things.

Bid at your own risk. 

Hm... Let's model the following scenario.

I paid $750 for an OX , and placed a $220 bid for a BX.  At that moment the BX was around $1300.

Then the BX price goes down to $880, meaning NCL is happy to accept $880 if a new customer calls.

But they have my bid of $220, meaning that they could charge me $970 but by some reason they don't do that.

You may assume they just want new customer rather than upsell, but  when I call and offer $130pp, the accept it without hesitation which is $90 less they could charge me by simply accepting my bid.

The only reasonable explanation I have is that their system is not sophisticated enough or plusgrade doesn't know how much I paid. 

Edited by lixogab
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lixogab said:

Hm... Let's model the following scenario.

I paid $750 for an OX , and placed a $220 bid for a BX.  At that moment the BX was around $1300.

Then the BX price goes down to $880, meaning NCL is happy to accept $880 if a new customer calls.

But they have my bid of $220, meaning that they could charge me $970 but by some reason they don't do that.

You may assume they just want new customer rather than upsell, but  when I call and offer $130pp, the accept it without hesitation which is $90 less they could charge me by simply accepting my bid.

The only reasonable explanation I have is that their system is not sophisticated enough or plusgrade doesn't know how much I paid. 

My reasoning is that NCL can't take action on your bid of $220 since that is handled by Plus Grade.  But since you are willing to pay the difference to upgrade to the BX at the current price, NCL is happy to accommodate that for $130pp.  You are essentially just canceling your current reservation and rebooking an upgraded cabin at the new current price.  That is the way it always worked in the past before the upgrade advantage program.  If the price goes down on your current cabin after final payment, they won't refund the difference.  But they are happy to accept more money, even if very little, to upgrade you.  Sometimes the new price for the upgraded cabin can be equal or lower than what you already paid, and in those cases them may upgrade you for free, just by asking.  

Well, sometimes the bidding algorithm grants upgrades many days in advance, so there should be some communication.

My point is that my case proofs that NCL doesn't supply plus grade all information, otherwise it would accept the higher bid without waiting me to call. 

8 hours ago, lixogab said:

Well, sometimes the bidding algorithm grants upgrades many days in advance, so there should be some communication.

My point is that my case proofs that NCL doesn't supply plus grade all information, otherwise it would accept the higher bid without waiting me to call. 

NCL does provide Plusgrade with how much you paid. You can look at the code on the form page and see that your original amount paid is in a hidden field that gets submitted along with your bid. More likely, Plusgrade is not supplied with current pricing, so when the current pricing drops below what you paid plus your current bid, it doesn't automatically trigger an acceptance, because Plusgrade doesn't have that piece of the equation, at least not instantly. They may receive it on a nightly basis or something and so automatic bid acceptances *might* get triggered once Plusgrade has that data. The truth is we just don't know.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

NCL does provide Plusgrade with how much you paid. You can look at the code on the form page and see that your original amount paid is in a hidden field that gets submitted along with your bid. More likely, Plusgrade is not supplied with current pricing, so when the current pricing drops below what you paid plus your current bid, it doesn't automatically trigger an acceptance, because Plusgrade doesn't have that piece of the equation, at least not instantly. They may receive it on a nightly basis or something and so automatic bid acceptances *might* get triggered once Plusgrade has that data. The truth is we just don't know.

You're right!
It's the total  totalFarePaid.
BTW, I'm Silver, but the  loyaltyLevel: "0". Doesn't make sense , unless they use random numbering.

Also found the following pretty interesting :
 plusgrade.page.modules.modal.additionalBidInfo = "{\'bookedCategoryCode\': \'BX\'}|{\'directBookingCode\': \'Y\'}|{\'travelWith\': \'N\'}|{\'insuranceType\': \'N\'}|{\'wheelChairCabin\': \'N\'}|{\'insuranceCost\': \'0.00\'}";
I got your point regarding, just wonder why NCL / plusgrade don't implement it.
Anyway, I got my balcony 🙂

2 hours ago, lixogab said:

You're right!
It's the total  totalFarePaid.
BTW, I'm Silver, but the  loyaltyLevel: "0". Doesn't make sense , unless they use random numbering.

Also found the following pretty interesting :
 plusgrade.page.modules.modal.additionalBidInfo = "{\'bookedCategoryCode\': \'BX\'}|{\'directBookingCode\': \'Y\'}|{\'travelWith\': \'N\'}|{\'insuranceType\': \'N\'}|{\'wheelChairCabin\': \'N\'}|{\'insuranceCost\': \'0.00\'}";
I got your point regarding, just wonder why NCL / plusgrade don't implement it.
Anyway, I got my balcony 🙂

I just modified my offer so I could read all the code.  It updates it immediately and they do not have any current pricing inside their code.  It also does not have my original price paid on any line of code.  It does note that it's a modified offer and not original. 

I can bid on about a dozen categories and it lists them all, even if I have not bid on them.  (which I haven't.  I only modified one cabin category that I would be interested in just to see the coding)

Edited by MaryZ

Just curious...

What is the earliest / farthest out from the cruise date that anyone has had a bid accepted?

I recall reading of one that was ~38 days ahead. Any sooner than that? --I realize that many are not accepted until much closer to the cruise, but wondering about the other end of the spectrum.

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, kahoosbt said:

Just curious...

What is the earliest / farthest out from the cruise date that anyone has had a bid accepted?

I recall reading of one that was ~38 days ahead. Any sooner than that? --I realize that many are not accepted until much closer to the cruise, but wondering about the other end of the spectrum.

Thanks!

I placed a bid at about 80 days out, it was accepted at 67 days out.  OV (OA, picture window) to balcony, bid just barely into fair category.  All OV on the cruise appeared to be sold out at the time.  Another person on the same cruise with OV (not sure which category) also won their bid (poor I think).

Just made a bid on a cruise at 110 days out - still have over 100 days to wait on that one.

1 hour ago, kahoosbt said:

Just curious...

Thanks!

I have heard of bids being accepted a month or so before sailing.  Usually though, there isnt much of a gap between the categories.  Ex:  penthouse haven upgraded to a 2 bedroom haven, or mid ship balcony to mini suite.  I personally won a bid from a balcony to a forward penthouse.   Didn't find out until 3 days before.   But TOTALLY  worth the wait!  Good luck!

18 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Sorry to ask a stupid question. I'm sure it's been asked multiple times but I can't find.

Is what you bid on a guarantee? I'm guessing yes.

Thanks.

More or less, yes, you're correct.  You bid on a category, referring to suites/Haven, so basically you don't get to choose which cabin.  You also take the FAS promos you already have, too.  

6 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

More or less, yes, you're correct.  You bid on a category, referring to suites/Haven, so basically you don't get to choose which cabin.  You also take the FAS promos you already have, too.  

Thanks All Ready.

Therefore if I don't want to possibly be below a noisy area I should probably stick with the cabin/category I have, seeing as how he noisy staterooms will generally be chosen last? Is this correct?

Again, sorry but what is FAS?