Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CCHelp

What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

Recommended Posts

Sailing on Gem out of New York on March 26 - just received my upgrade email.  Currently booked Inside cabin - placed a bid for a Balcony.  It would be nice to get the upgrade as the current price for a Balcony has skyrocketed.   I am not super confident it will be accepted, but I did put in a mid range 'fair' bid.  If it gets accepted, great...if not, I am sure we will still enjoy our cruise!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 3:25 PM, Willbrise123 said:

Sailing on Gem out of New York on March 26 - just received my upgrade email.  Currently booked Inside cabin - placed a bid for a Balcony.  It would be nice to get the upgrade as the current price for a Balcony has skyrocketed.   I am not super confident it will be accepted, but I did put in a mid range 'fair' bid.  If it gets accepted, great...if not, I am sure we will still enjoy our cruise!  

Goo

 

On 12/7/2019 at 3:25 PM, Willbrise123 said:

Sailing on Gem out of New York on March 26 - just received my upgrade email.  Currently booked Inside cabin - placed a bid for a Balcony.  It would be nice to get the upgrade as the current price for a Balcony has skyrocketed.   I am not super confident it will be accepted, but I did put in a mid range 'fair' bid.  If it gets accepted, great...if not, I am sure we will still enjoy our cruise!  

Good Luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 8:25 PM, Willbrise123 said:

Sailing on Gem out of New York on March 26 - just received my upgrade email.  Currently booked Inside cabin - placed a bid for a Balcony.  It would be nice to get the upgrade as the current price for a Balcony has skyrocketed.   I am not super confident it will be accepted, but I did put in a mid range 'fair' bid.  If it gets accepted, great...if not, I am sure we will still enjoy our cruise!  

we are on this sailing...we have booked a mini suite but was hoping to bid for a forward facing suite...

no upgrade offer as yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun leaving 12/12/19. Booked a Sailaway OV for cheap at the time a balcony Sailaway was going for $100 more. Immediately assigned a great OV picture window on deck 9 and got the upgrade email the next day. I bid $55pp for a balcony and $75 for a mini-suite, both the minimum bid plus $5. Well today, 2 days before departure we got the balcony upgrade to a mid-ship balcony on deck 9. I thought for sure when I saw the email it was going to say sorry. Time to pack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, alwysonvctn said:

Sun leaving 12/12/19. Booked a Sailaway OV for cheap at the time a balcony Sailaway was going for $100 more. Immediately assigned a great OV picture window on deck 9 and got the upgrade email the next day. I bid $55pp for a balcony and $75 for a mini-suite, both the minimum bid plus $5. Well today, 2 days before departure we got the balcony upgrade to a mid-ship balcony on deck 9. I thought for sure when I saw the email it was going to say sorry. Time to pack!

Thanks for sharing! We are on the Sun next month and your bids are were we are right now also. I am happy with my OV cabin now but for $55 more pp, I would love a balcony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, alwysonvctn said:

Sun leaving 12/12/19. Booked a Sailaway OV for cheap at the time a balcony Sailaway was going for $100 more. Immediately assigned a great OV picture window on deck 9 and got the upgrade email the next day. I bid $55pp for a balcony and $75 for a mini-suite, both the minimum bid plus $5. Well today, 2 days before departure we got the balcony upgrade to a mid-ship balcony on deck 9. I thought for sure when I saw the email it was going to say sorry. Time to pack!

Congratulations.   🙂

 

Edited by debnjoe1438
cabin error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 5:28 PM, mking8288 said:

Almost has nothing to share, report or comment on ... upcoming GEM 8 nights sailing (Dec. 13th - NY / FL / Bahamas) - already down to the single digit dance with folks ... 

 

Min. bid was $25 for OV and $50 for "B" - which would barely move the pointer on the meter/scale.  

 

... Forward looking, perhaps NCL is going to take some of the higher/est bids earlier than the past, then move downward to the next lower tier & work on filling up those cabins - releasing them for those lined up below to get upgraded ... sooner than last minute.  Just my guess, of course ... 

 

Just a wrap up - going to be on the ship tomorrow, even the remaining Insides that re-appeared earlier this week, now seemed gone - sold out again.  Being close to the holidays, no solo specials or supplement waived ... 

**  Upgrade bid from Inside to Balcony (GTY) of $125 x 2 did not get accepted.

**  Upgrade bid from Inside to Balcony of $75 x 2 did not get accepted ... rejection email sent/received at 48 hours (yesterday)

** Upgrade bid from Inside to Oceanview of $75 x2 was accepted. 

**  No words from others on Roll Call with bids still pending, when the sailing appeared sold out, weeks ago (i.e. luck/success w. getting moved higher into mini-suite, full suite or Haven)  

** It is very possible, that "others" might've negotiated directly special upgrade pricing when unsold inventory was quite substantial 2 to 3 months ago instead (when the invites to bid was out at 80 days) ... and chose to keep the details private.  

 

Bid wisely to not keep "bumping" up those possibly "winning" bids to a higher amount ... not to mention, data mining.  

Edited by mking8288

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

 

Just a wrap up - going to be on the ship tomorrow, even the remaining Insides that re-appeared earlier this week, now seemed gone - sold out again.  Being close to the holidays, no solo specials or supplement waived ... 

**  Upgrade bid from Inside to Balcony (GTY) of $125 x 2 did not get accepted.

**  Upgrade bid from Inside to Balcony of $75 x 2 did not get accepted ... rejection email sent/received at 48 hours (yesterday)

** Upgrade bid from Inside to Oceanview of $75 x2 was accepted. 

**  No words from others on Roll Call with bids still pending, when the sailing appeared sold out, weeks ago (i.e. luck/success w. getting moved higher into mini-suite, full suite or Haven)  

** It is very possible, that "others" might've negotiated directly special upgrade pricing when unsold inventory was quite substantial 2 to 3 months ago instead (when the invites to bid was out at 80 days) ... and chose to keep the details private.  

 

Bid wisely to not keep "bumping" up those possibly "winning" bids to a higher amount ... not to mention, data mining.  

Have a great trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the going rate to get from Family Suite Large Balcony to 3 bedroom Garden Villa on Dawn? Anyone done it yet. I have never lost at bidding yet so need some tips. It says 1700 minimum on my upgrade. Thanks all! Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our bid for the Jan 5th sailing on the Joy was accepted yesterday!  So 19 days out, went from an inside to a forward  balcony $175pp bid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Our bid for the Jan 5th sailing on the Joy was accepted yesterday!  So 19 days out, went from an inside to a forward  balcony $175pp bid.  

 

What would have been the price to upgrade directly from inside to forward balcony without going through the bidding process?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 12:53 AM, huntersh2 said:

What is the going rate to get from Family Suite Large Balcony to 3 bedroom Garden Villa on Dawn? Anyone done it yet. I have never lost at bidding yet so need some tips. It says 1700 minimum on my upgrade. Thanks all! Good luck!

 

You might want to be more specific - length of cruise, date, etc.

 

There typically is no "going rate".  If you have never lost at bidding, why not just use the method you have used in the past?

 

What would be the cost to upgrade directly to the cabin you want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok then. Can you be a little more aggressive next time 🤔 😉 Thanks !

 

7 days. March 1st to March 8th. 

 

 I've never lost before because thousands of people on this site over the last 3 threads have given us the numbers they have used that have worked to secure them a successful bid in a certain category or room type. So then you play around with those numbers to successfully attain me a win. 

However,  I've never seen anyone use garden villa numbers before so was curious if anyone has at this point...secured one through the bidding process that would care to share or are even on this site.

 

**Another words using the site for what it is meant to be. A place to ask questions and receive answers. So I was seeking out anyone who had won a garden villa and what they had to pay to upgrade. For me to buy directly into the 3 bedroom garden villa, that is around 10000 ft² ,would cost me $19,500. So instead I was trying to get a number in which people were using successfully to win the garden villa via bidding process. 

 

Thanks all and as I stated before Good luck all!!

 

Shaun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, huntersh2 said:

Ok then. Can you be a little more aggressive next time 🤔 😉 Thanks !

 

7 days. March 1st to March 8th. 

 

 I've never lost before because thousands of people on this site over the last 3 threads have given us the numbers they have used that have worked to secure them a successful bid in a certain category or room type. So then you play around with those numbers to successfully attain me a win. 

However,  I've never seen anyone use garden villa numbers before so was curious if anyone has at this point...secured one through the bidding process that would care to share or are even on this site.

 

**Another words using the site for what it is meant to be. A place to ask questions and receive answers. So I was seeking out anyone who had won a garden villa and what they had to pay to upgrade. For me to buy directly into the 3 bedroom garden villa, that is around 10000 ft² ,would cost me $19,500. So instead I was trying to get a number in which people were using successfully to win the garden villa via bidding process. 

 

Thanks all and as I stated before Good luck all!!

 

Shaun

On Encore, we bid in the low "Excellent" range for three separate Haven suites, with each one totaling roughly between $3400 to $3800 if won. Based on the original booking price of each suite, we would have saved about $300-$500, We asked our NCL point of contact if there were any suites available for the Jan 19th sailing, and he gave us the availability and total prices if we were to upgrade today (actually, two weeks ago). Instead of winning a bid, we chose to purchase the upgrade because the straight purchase was for $2000. Yes, $2000 total. In other words, if we had just settled and hoped to win, if chosen we would have paid close to $1500 more than what we have gotten. So, we got the last Haven Courtyard Suite on the port side, deck 18 (a short walk to the Haven bar and restaurant). I strongly advise everyone to keep all of your options open and contact your reps about a month before the cruise to see about last minute specials that don't get announced on the NCL website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Our bid for the Jan 5th sailing on the Joy was accepted yesterday!  So 19 days out, went from an inside to a forward  balcony $175pp bid.  

That's awesome! We are sailing March 1st on Getaway and have not received any email for an upgrade bid offer. Kind of wish I would so I can understand and see how that process goes, but I know those emails are so random. I thought maybe we would get one since we have not sailed NCL prior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wallaceralphl said:

On Encore, we bid in the low "Excellent" range for three separate Haven suites, with each one totaling roughly between $3400 to $3800 if won. Based on the original booking price of each suite, we would have saved about $300-$500, We asked our NCL point of contact if there were any suites available for the Jan 19th sailing, and he gave us the availability and total prices if we were to upgrade today (actually, two weeks ago). Instead of winning a bid, we chose to purchase the upgrade because the straight purchase was for $2000. Yes, $2000 total. In other words, if we had just settled and hoped to win, if chosen we would have paid close to $1500 more than what we have gotten. So, we got the last Haven Courtyard Suite on the port side, deck 18 (a short walk to the Haven bar and restaurant). I strongly advise everyone to keep all of your options open and contact your reps about a month before the cruise to see about last minute specials that don't get announced on the NCL website.

Thanks, I didn't know there were last minute specials not announced on the NCL website. I'll have to call next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DinaS said:

 

What would have been the price to upgrade directly from inside to forward balcony without going through the bidding process?  

Last time I checked, in the range of $400 per person to directly change our original booking to a balcony without our perk (ie, it would be $400 to change to a balcony guarantee).  The amount varied, but never dropped to compare with my bid, at least not any of the times I looked.  I have not looked in the last week, so don’t know current price differential

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrsKC08 said:

That's awesome! We are sailing March 1st on Getaway and have not received any email for an upgrade bid offer. Kind of wish I would so I can understand and see how that process goes, but I know those emails are so random. I thought maybe we would get one since we have not sailed NCL prior.

You should check your MyNCL account periodically, as often times it is there, not your personal email.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DinaS said:

 

What would have been the price to upgrade directly from inside to forward balcony without going through the bidding process?  

I was curious, so I went and looked at current pricing.  Today’s balcony rates are $550 pp more than our original booking.  So I’m feeling pretty good at getting it for $175pp more instead of $550 pp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wallaceralphl said:

On Encore, we bid in the low "Excellent" range for three separate Haven suites, with each one totaling roughly between $3400 to $3800 if won. Based on the original booking price of each suite, we would have saved about $300-$500, We asked our NCL point of contact if there were any suites available for the Jan 19th sailing, and he gave us the availability and total prices if we were to upgrade today (actually, two weeks ago). Instead of winning a bid, we chose to purchase the upgrade because the straight purchase was for $2000. Yes, $2000 total. In other words, if we had just settled and hoped to win, if chosen we would have paid close to $1500 more than what we have gotten. So, we got the last Haven Courtyard Suite on the port side, deck 18 (a short walk to the Haven bar and restaurant). I strongly advise everyone to keep all of your options open and contact your reps about a month before the cruise to see about last minute specials that don't get announced on the NCL website.

WOW! What a great price for a Haven suite. I cannot imagine getting it for that price. I just might have to check in on that for our March cruise!

 

13 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

You should check your MyNCL account periodically, as often times it is there, not your personal email.  Good luck!

Thanks. I do check my messages daily in there...but nothing yet. Just the standard stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

WOW! What a great price for a Haven suite. I cannot imagine getting it for that price. I just might have to check in on that for our March cruise!

 

Thanks. I do check my messages daily in there...but nothing yet. Just the standard stuff.

Just wanted to ensure clarity - we had already paid for our regular priced mini-suite; the $2000 was the difference in what we had paid and the final price.... Regardless, a very good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wallaceralphl said:

Just wanted to ensure clarity - we had already paid for our regular priced mini-suite; the $2000 was the difference in what we had paid and the final price.... Regardless, a very good deal.

Oh, I had figured that. But I still think it was a great deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all - new to Cruise Critic and just read this entire thread since I am on an NCL Cruise (Joy in Jan) and have an offer to upgrade.  I am thinking about putting in an offer to upgrade from a Mid-Ship Balcony to a Haven Courtyard Room (H5).  I have 2 questions on Haven for those that have done the upgrade:

1. If you get a late upgrade (like 2 days before the cruise which seems normal), is the Haven Dining Room already booked each night until like 9PM each night (like Cagney's Steak House) ... or can you still get decent early dining times (like 6PM).

2. What additional amenities are there in the Haven which make it worth the upgrade price?

 

Thanks in Advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ostrichman said:

Hi all - new to Cruise Critic and just read this entire thread since I am on an NCL Cruise (Joy in Jan) and have an offer to upgrade.  I am thinking about putting in an offer to upgrade from a Mid-Ship Balcony to a Haven Courtyard Room (H5).  I have 2 questions on Haven for those that have done the upgrade:

1. If you get a late upgrade (like 2 days before the cruise which seems normal), is the Haven Dining Room already booked each night until like 9PM each night (like Cagney's Steak House) ... or can you still get decent early dining times (like 6PM).

2. What additional amenities are there in the Haven which make it worth the upgrade price?

 

Thanks in Advance!

We won our upgrade bid into the Haven last year, maybe a week beforehand.  There were no reservations that I was aware of, for the Haven dining room.  We never had a problem getting seated the entire 12 days.  Pretty much just checked in with the hostess, and within moments were escorted to a table.  Each cruise is going to have some variants of number of guests, whether they prefer more or less specialty dining, etc., that will affect availability in the Haven dining room, but I doubt you would have any issues

 

to keep this thread on topic, you should look in the forum for Haven amenity threads — there are loads of them.  🙂.  My vote is, anytime I can swing it, I would sail Haven

Edited by 3kidsncats
Add info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...