Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CC Help Michell

What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, BIG POOCH said:

Now you have me wondering if they say pending the  minute you submit them?  We won't know for months, and it's already driving me crazy.

 

 

Yes, as soon as you submit a bid, it will show as "pending". The status won't change again until it is either accepted or rejected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jessykaw said:

Now my balcony bid says “processing”. Does that mean we won our bid?

Yes I believe it does!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feb 3 sailing on getaway...1:03pm est 2/1...Well 4 of 4 just went to Expired....all were low bids anyway...slightly above minimum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bids were not accepted. Just got the emails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am new to bidding. We are on the 8 night 3/1 on the Star. I bid on a forward facing suite the day after booking. We were then roomed in a BA on deck 10. Do most people make multiple bids? The ship appears to have a lot of availability. It’s also my 50th birthday while at sea, don’t know if they look at that or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jbpinkie said:

It’s also my 50th birthday while at sea, don’t know if they look at that or not.

Im guessing a “no” on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Processing does not equal Acceptance.

 

After over two hours of "processing", I have received two emails stating my bids were NOT accepted. The odd thing is that my one bid that was processing went back to "pending", not "expired".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jessykaw said:

Processing does not equal Acceptance.

 

After over two hours of "processing", I have received two emails stating my bids were NOT accepted. The odd thing is that my one bid that was processing went back to "pending", not "expired".

Hopefully that means there is still hope for your bid???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for whoever created this thread, helps me reign in my craziness.  Still have 23 days till my cruise on the escape and on pins and needles. I must go over my bids 10-15 times a day. 

 

MJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patience it’s a waiting game, I’ve won all three of my bids and the one I did the best on I watched closely the open cabins starting at about 30 days prior and at about 10 days prior when I noticed availability was still very good for balconies and mini suites I started actually lowering my bid it was a 7 day early dec escape sailing and my highest big from ocean view to mini suite was 200 I actually kept dropping my bid and got it for 140.00 4 days prior to sailing.  Most not all but most early bids are either a.  Some overbid  more than the going rate or b. They need to open up a category especially insides they need some for advertising purposes.  Good luck to all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for anyone with experience with upgrade, I am trying to figure out the percentage of my bid so I added what I bid with what I paid for my original room then saw what the going rate is for the room I am bidding on. With my calculations it came out to about 65% of the current rate of the room which I think is fair.  Any thoughts ?

 

MJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mjdj1220 said:

Question for anyone with experience with upgrade, I am trying to figure out the percentage of my bid so I added what I bid with what I paid for my original room then saw what the going rate is for the room I am bidding on. With my calculations it came out to about 65% of the current rate of the room which I think is fair.  Any thoughts ?

 

MJ

It's not about percentages it's about supply and demand.  Example a sept cruise during hurricane season you could get lucky and get a balcony for $75 per person but same ship for Xmas cruise you could bid $300 and get turned down.  Bid what you are comfortable with and see what happens just be patient too since 9 to 10 people hear week of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 2:04 PM, FPJC03 said:

It really is all about percent of capacity on the ship. I am on the 3/10 Getaway and ALL categories are still available 5 weeks out. I bid on H5 and H9 in the low fair range. Hope to get one of them accepted, but in midship minisuite, so won't be disappointed if we get rejected. You have to look at it as a game - keep checking on capacity of each category and bid a bit more if needed. Just so you don't overbid and feel cheated if you get it and price yourself at the retail price!

I'm on the 3/10 Getaway too!  We have an Aft Balcony which I'm really happy about but I'm bidding on the Haven too.  I read there's a large group on our cruise (Elks) so I think having some quiet spaces to retreat to could be really nice.  Where do you go to check availability?  I do a mock booking thru my TA but I have to go one category at a time.  There still appears to be a ton of availability.  Just curious if there's an easier way to check.  My bids are all on the extreme low end for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travelingirl70 said:

I'm on the 3/10 Getaway too!  We have an Aft Balcony which I'm really happy about but I'm bidding on the Haven too.  I read there's a large group on our cruise (Elks) so I think having some quiet spaces to retreat to could be really nice.  Where do you go to check availability?  I do a mock booking thru my TA but I have to go one category at a time.  There still appears to be a ton of availability.  Just curious if there's an easier way to check.  My bids are all on the extreme low end for now.

 

 Where do you go to check availability?  I do a mock booking thru my TA but I have to go one category at a time.  There still appears to be a ton of availability.  Just curious if there's an easier way to check. 

 

Like you I use a TA site and NCL.com but it would not hurt to check-out another TA site but I have a feeling this would be

a waste of time. As it is my TA site pretty much mirrors the NCL.com site. I like my TA site better because it is faster

getting to the chase of showing what is available and the best part the specific cabin I am looking for although again there

is the limitation of only showing a limited number of cabins in a section of the ship. Seems that neither my TA or NCL

will permit access to see the big overall picture of availability. A phone call to my TA can ferret out more availability

information having a private line to NCL but still yet that has it limits.

 

Regarding the bidding - if you bid on the high-end (don't) your bid will more than likely be welcomed and awarded

right away - after all you are right at the point of the original fare.

How much less NCL will take for the cabin is the bidding game question.

 

There are some 2200 posts to this thread (89 pages) and a great deal of wisdom reflected in bidding and upgrading.

Doing background research is a must to enter a bid that is within your budget and is likely to be accepted by NCL.

Realize of course that this is not an eBay auction where you can see the bids and shows of the next acceptable

increment of bidding. Time limits are in play here too but if one bids at the top end of scale it is as if one has done a

BUY IT NOW transaction game over - otherwise bids are accepted up and until the end of the auction period which

is usually 48 hours (2days) before sailing with highest bidder at that point likely the winner. Unlike eBay NCL can

close and award the bidding at any point of their choosing. So NCL feeling that the bidding process has run its course

may award bids earlier than the 48 hours which it does quite often. This results in freeing up now vacated cabins from

the winners to other bidders (a falling domino type effect).

 

Having more time to study the market is a must - bidding in haste may have undesired side effects -

I bid too much and got a lousy cabin etc.

Still it is NCLs cornered cruise market - cracking it with more sources would perhaps be helpful.

 

With all them (Elks) milling around hope your winning bid is not in their migration path to a quiet cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

 

 

 

With all them (Elks) milling around hope your winning bid is not in their migration path to a quiet cruise.

Great info above, thanks!  I have read the thread and am optimistic the Elks aren't taking up the Haven suites.  I'm hoping my aft balcony is an advantage (they can upgrade someone to my cabin too!) but there appear to be a lot of aft balconies open now as it is.

 

Overall, the ship does not look very full which surprises me.  It's my first NCL cruise, but my last few have been on Celebrity and the ships have always been close to sold out.  

 

So, I've got my fingers crossed but won't be too disappointed unless, like you said, I'm in the "migration path":classic_rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need some advice, please. I've been hoping the prices will drop on the March 30th cruise on the Star. I know that right before the cruise they usually drop the solo supplement on sail away cabins. But now I'm wondering if I went ahead and booked, have I waited to late to have a chance of getting a bid offer. I have no idea of a time frame on when bid offers go out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread use to give more winning bids when I used it last year to win my 2 bedroom Villa on Getaway (absolutely amazing room). Best ever on any ship. What's the going rate of a winning bid from  mid ship balcony to a Haven Spa Suite now or a Haven Courtyard Penthouse ? Thanks everyone. Past winners please share :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I ask anyone that has followed this thread a question.

 

We are in a balcony, got the upgrade email.  There were four different Haven rooms that the starting bid started at $500.  We bid $900 on each one.  Does history say that this bid has a good chance of winning or not?  It was in the "fair" range and the most you could bid was $2000.

 

Thanks for any help or info on experiences.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to call people selfish cause that is such a strong, rude word that I dont want to say unless I know the facts but other then your die hards on this thread do you notice that so many people come here for answers and ideas of how much to bid so that they can possibly "win" yet never respond again after to tell us if they were successful or not, therefore helping us all out in the bidding process. Last year I wrote my winning bid down on here the second I got into the waiting room for Haven to help all y'all out. That's the point isnt it. One love. But as I read 1000s of posts most disappear after getting there needs met. Sad. I want to know the going rates on Haven winning bids. That's the WHOLE POINT of this thread isn't it.. well it should be. So when you come here seeking assistance to win a bid, come back when on or after your trip and help the others out. After all that's the point..thanks and sorry. Good luck all 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree with huntersh2 and their angle calling out the posters as selfish and short-sighted. But considering that many of the successful bids are sent within 2-3 days of the cruise sailing, many of them are probably already en route to the port. So they might not have the chance to send a response. It would be great if CC would let the users of the forum contact those successful bidders and vice versa via email. Then we would have a better chance to get that info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FPJC03 said:

I would agree with huntersh2 and their angle calling out the posters as selfish and short-sighted. But considering that many of the successful bids are sent within 2-3 days of the cruise sailing, many of them are probably already en route to the port. So they might not have the chance to send a response. It would be great if CC would let the users of the forum contact those successful bidders and vice versa via email. Then we would have a better chance to get that info. 

I'm also referring to people from 1.5 years ago.  I've been reading and responding with wins and or bids and such for 1.5 years. We need to stick together to take down the big companies ....hahahaha 😉 I agree w u 1000% for those that just won but what about the ones that one 4 months ago. Spoke and sought assistance and then took off after never responding to then help the next individual, the way so many have helped them. Just saying. I wish you all great luck as the Haven is amazing !! I'm hoping to win again.. Just me and the wife this time so now H2 s or H4s. I'm seeking H7 and H9 I think. Haven Spa or Haven Courtyard Penthouse.. fingers crossed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, FPJC03 said:

I would agree with huntersh2 and their angle calling out the posters as selfish and short-sighted. But considering that many of the successful bids are sent within 2-3 days of the cruise sailing, many of them are probably already en route to the port. So they might not have the chance to send a response. It would be great if CC would let the users of the forum contact those successful bidders and vice versa via email. Then we would have a better chance to get that info. 

And great idea FPJC03. Love it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, huntersh2 said:

I'm also referring to people from 1.5 years ago.  I've been reading and responding with wins and or bids and such for 1.5 years. We need to stick together to take down the big companies ....hahahaha 😉 I agree w u 1000% for those that just won but what about the ones that one 4 months ago. Spoke and sought assistance and then took off after never responding to then help the next individual, the way so many have helped them. Just saying. I wish you all great luck as the Haven is amazing !! I'm hoping to win again.. Just me and the wife this time so now H2 s or H4s. I'm seeking H7 and H9 I think. Haven Spa or Haven Courtyard Penthouse.. fingers crossed 

 

So, would you be able to answer my question from above, whether a $900 PP bid is a decent bid for the Haven upgrade?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vent1020 said:

 

So, would you be able to answer my question from above, whether a $900 PP bid is a decent bid for the Haven upgrade?  Thanks.

You would need to give more info..what room? For a Haven 2 bedroom or deluxe owner's or owners..no..for a spa yes I would say most def. But again need more info..what level leaving..how much paid ..where going to etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...