Blu- Dress code confusion

musik07

We are booked in Aqua for the July 28th cruise and the more I read the more confused I am about the dress expectations for Blu at dinner. We sailed in regular balconies last summer and I brought a dress for every day and felt overdressed many nights. I was thinking about bringing a pair or black or navy tops and a few nice tops some nights this summer but then we booked Aqua. I have just started doing some research and now I am confused. Do I go less dressy than I was planning, are leggings and a long top appropriate (everything would be covered and I wear this to my business casual job multiple days week), can I do jeans, sandals and a nice top? I would like to start getting the dressy clothes together as school is out and I just washed all of my 'teaching clothes' for the summer so I can pack those away in my closet or suitcase now! Any help is appreciated as I don't want to stand out either way.

You can wear anything you mentioned. Dresses, capris, pants, leggings,all OK. You may not even notice a difference in Blu regarding dress on Chic nights. Personally, I wear a lot of dresses since they are easier to pack than pants and tops.

Wear what you find most comfortable. People wear all sorts of clothes in Blu from very dressy to very casual. People don’t really pay that much attention to what anyone else wears. We love dining in Blu and I hope you will too. It’s a lovely venue.

You didn't mention where you'll be cruising and sometimes that might make a difference. Blu is casual chic every night however you'll probably find most folks are more dressed up on evening chic nights. Most men wear long sleeved dress shirts on those nights with or without ties and jackets. Women wear a variety of things, all of which you mentioned in your post on regular nights and all are appropriate. On evening chic nights, most women were in cocktail dresses or pants with dressy tops. Gowns were few and far between as were tuxedos. Basically I'd suggest wearing what makes you and your travel companion happy. You'll see a bit of everything. Have a great time. I must admit I'm a bit green eyed and can't wait for our next cruise! Our wait is a bit longer than yours.

We love BLU...hope you will too. No stress required,

Summer cruise casual is fine, sundresses, capris, slacks and tops , nice sweater, all fine....leggings maybe save for the gym . Some do wear jeans but dressier ones.

Men do khakis, Dockers, collared knit golf shirts, shirts no ties or jackets usually...Tommy Bahama for Carib.,,Neat clean and classy..,

Folks do dress quite nicely in BLU, not necesarily what I'd call dressy but certainly not more casual than MDR.. Everyone looks comfy and happy.

On the chic nites most people dress up a but more even though not in the BLU code,. For my "big birthday " celebration in January...,, I will be wearing a boutiquey outfit....dh dress pants, a nice shirt with tie.,no jacket. Others will be more dressed up...It's up to you.

We are sailing to the Caribbean with my mom for a mother daughter trip. I am not concerned about being to hot in jeans. I am always freezing, and I teach in Philadelphia in a non-air conditioned building so I am used to the heat. I have to go in tomorrow for summer program in the 95 degree heat and I will probably be wearing jeans since I am not allowed to wear shorts and crawling on the floor with kids in a dress is not something I enjoy. I also won't have anything hanging out with leggings. All of my leggings tops go down almost to my knees, most of them are lace trimmed and I wear them with solid black or navy. I will keep the crazy prints for at home! Thanks for your help.

We have cruised a number of time in Blu. The only restaurant that Evening Chic applies to is the MDR. While you can dress up if you wish it is not required. I wear jeans and a polo most night. Evening Chic I might wear long sleeves shirt with jeans. It really what your comfortable wearing within the dress code.

We are booked in Aqua for the July 28th cruise and the more I read the more confused I am about the dress expectations for Blu at dinner. We sailed in regular balconies last summer and I brought a dress for every day and felt overdressed many nights. I was thinking about bringing a pair or black or navy tops and a few nice tops some nights this summer but then we booked Aqua. I have just started doing some research and now I am confused. Do I go less dressy than I was planning, are leggings and a long top appropriate (everything would be covered and I wear this to my business casual job multiple days week), can I do jeans, sandals and a nice top? I would like to start getting the dressy clothes together as school is out and I just washed all of my 'teaching clothes' for the summer so I can pack those away in my closet or suitcase now! Any help is appreciated as I don't want to stand out either way.

Everything you mentioned is fine. Those things definitely meet the dress code. I bring blue jeans and white jeans and a bunch of tops. It makes packing very simple

We have cruised a number of time in Blu. The only restaurant that Evening Chic applies to is the MDR. While you can dress up if you wish it is not required. I wear jeans and a polo most night. Evening Chic I might wear long sleeves shirt with jeans. It really what your comfortable wearing within the dress code.

I cruised Summit in April and the sign at the Blu entry said Blu followed the same dress code for each evening that the MDR did.

Laura

I cruised Summit in April and the sign at the Blu entry said Blu followed the same dress code for each evening that the MDR did.

Laura

Here lies my confusion. I keep seeing posts that go back and forth. I really don't want to bring dresses for every night (I am trying to bring only one smaller suitcase this summer and I typically fly a suitcase and a duffel) if possible and bringing a pair of pants, a pair of jeans and maybe leggings would let me mix and match with a lot less!

Company policy is Blu is always smart casual. There are occasional reports of ships going rogue - not sure if they mistakenly believe Blu is supposed to observe chic night or they are deliberately opting to do their own thing. Celebrity’s website lists the dress code for all dining venues and Blu says “smart casual” whereas the main dining room says “varies.”

Here lies my confusion. I keep seeing posts that go back and forth. I really don't want to bring dresses for every night (I am trying to bring only one smaller suitcase this summer and I typically fly a suitcase and a duffel) if possible and bringing a pair of pants, a pair of jeans and maybe leggings would let me mix and match with a lot less!

Yes, take what you are describing. :) I normally take two pairs of Travelers from Chico's and take several tops, jackets, and for Chic Night, dressier tops.

lovecruzin

Today 04:15 PM

We were in Blu in Alaska and I saw very few jeans, although they are acceptable. In the Caribbean in July...I’d say leave them at home and go with the dresses and/or leggings.

On our Alaskan cruise, we saw almost all jeans! Puff jacket vest, as well. I felt overdressed. :rolleyes:

Just to clarify the dress code in Blu is smart casual every night. The same goes for all Specialty restaurant. There is no such dress code on Celebrity called casual chic, only bring this up because the MDR has evening chic. You will find people dressed from tuxes to jeans. The beauty of the dress code is you have just about every option except shorts.

Okay, here is definitive info from X about the dress code.

Are there exceptions made by passengers, because they want to or can? You bet.

Do we all have our opinions on what is acceptable despite X's current policy? You bet.

In lieu of reading about the dress code here on CC, just go to the source and you will most certainly fine.

Be guided by their code and all will be well on your sailing and you do not run the risk of being asked to change or denied entry anywhere, especially during the evening.

bon voyage

Bo, the OP is talking specifically about Blu. Blu is smart casual every night per company policy. Whether YOU like that or not, that is how it has always been. Look at the section of Celebrity’s website “Restaurants and Cafes” - it lists the dress code for each venue. Your post is out-of-context and an attempt to deceptively push your personal desire. The link you quoted is for the MDR on chic night, NOT Blu.

We have spent quite a few nights in Blu. It is true that the official dress code is always "Smart Casual" even on the so-called "Chic Nights." However, on all of our cruises we have noticed that a pretty good percentage of Blu diners do dress in much more formal clothing on the Chic Nights. In fact, we have found Blu to often be more dressy then the MDR. But this is just personal preference and not part of the dress code. So my advice to the OP is dress "Smart Casual" or better...depending on your personal preference. DW and I still prefer to wear truly formal wear on the Chic Nights but this is simply because we enjoy dressing up a few nights when we cruise. But that is certainly no reason for anyone else to follow our preference.

Hank

Okay, here is definitive info from X about the dress code.

Are there exceptions made by passengers, because they want to or can? You bet.

Do we all have our opinions on what is acceptable despite X's current policy? You bet.

In lieu of reading about the dress code here on CC, just go to the source and you will most certainly fine.

Be guided by their code and all will be well on your sailing and you do not run the risk of being asked to change or denied entry anywhere, especially during the evening.

bon voyage

Interesting since Blu is advertised as smart casual for every night. I have read so many reviews with so much conflicting information and even on celebrity's website there is conflicting information. Believe me I do not want to make exceptions. I want to follow the policy, and we noticed last summer (same week/itinerary) we were over dressed compared to many people, and we have never experienced Blu before. Thanks for your help.

Interesting since Blu is advertised as smart casual for every night. I have read so many reviews with so much conflicting information and even on celebrity's website there is conflicting information. Believe me I do not want to make exceptions. I want to follow the policy, and we noticed last summer (same week/itinerary) we were over dressed compared to many people, and we have never experienced Blu before. Thanks for your help.

The dress code in Blu has been smart casual for several years and quite frankly is not an issue anymore. I see nothing in the dress code that changes that, as a matter of fact if you go on the web site there is a description of the various restaurants on all the ships. The only restaurant that has a dress code that is not smart casual is the Main Dining Room.

Here is a link to the description of Blu, clearly states smart casual.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/blu

I fully understand the position concerning being 'overdressed', yet my addage is, better to be over than under. One can always dress down if over, but not up if under.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

And another link confirming what almost everyone is saying: "Speciality Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests) The dress code at Celebrity's Speciality Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your "Evening Chic" evenings."

https://celebritycruises.com.au/life-on-board/onboard-facilities/restaurants-cafes/dining-attire/

Just got off a Celebrity cruise a week ago with dining in Luminae (suite class) and jeans are perfectly fine as smart casual. I wore them practically every night and dressed them up with nice heeled sandals or wedged heels. Smart casual does not mean ripped or frayed but nice dark jeans,and especially the current trend of embroidered jeans were in play. I had a pair of jet black jeans as well that I used for the formal nights and I took a nice lightweight black jacket if I wanted things to look a little dressier. Also took a couple of longer silver necklaces (nice costume jewelry grade) and earrings and some bracelets to jazz up the outfits along with a couple of belts. Just a few accessories that take very little space can change up the appearance of an outfit. Between this and various blouses and tops, some dressier than others; I felt perfectly dressed. The jeans did double duty for day and night. I buy a lot of Chico’s and if you ever look at their catalogs or see their windows they know how to do smart casual outfits that fit anywhere. I took three dresses but on a two week cruise only wore a dress one night. Next time I won’t even bother taking them! No worries with what you are considering taking.

I'm not sure why Blu and specialties are different - after all, once you're done with dinner, you're commingling with everyone on board ship in different places, it was always nice back in the day to have some consistency.

And even in Blu on those chic nights you'll see everything from jeans to tuxes.