bohica

How can Princess accomodate 3K passengers and have NO drinkable beer?

They had the various beers, Seawitch IPA was at least drinkable, but, now Princess is back to serving no good beer, no more beers other than the macro breweries. I smuggle beer on-board, not to save $, but, to have a drinkable brew. The parent line Carnival knows decent beer is needed, but, Princess assumes that the "elder" folks don't care, or , just want wine? Makes me want to consider other cruise lines, even though I'm Elite.

Let's not start on the 2 choices of Merlot and the awful coffee regardless of whether it's free of "Coffee card" coffee. It would take allot to steer me away from Princess, so the bad beer isn't enough. Really should have a couple of decent beers though, it's a shame.

They had the various beers, Seawitch IPA was at least drinkable, but, now Princess is back to serving no good beer, no more beers other than the macro breweries. I smuggle beer on-board, not to save $, but, to have a drinkable brew. The parent line Carnival knows decent beer is needed, but, Princess assumes that the "elder" folks don't care, or , just want wine? Makes me want to consider other cruise lines, even though I'm Elite.

Seawitch was the worst beer I have tasted in over 20 years. Glad it is gone.

So I'm a bit of a beer snob, but even Carnival on a recent cruise had an IPA available on draft ( for 4 bucks no less). Princess selection is abysmal, and the same in all the bars. Made the call early to just rely on the Woodford Old Fashioned - but alas the bartending is also weak (Ruby Princess, Seattle Alaska RT). Could not be more disappointed in the selection, nor the value for money spent. Really - if there was just ONE IPA on the menu, I could cope and manage even whilst being gouged for said beer - but to be gouged while having to order a Heineken or a Grolsch? Come on....

You need to pair up with the guy who doesn't like Celebrity's hamburger offerings. Maybe together you can imbibe and nash ashore somewhere since cruising to visit interesting ports, towns and countries is not to your liking.

You need to pair up with the guy who doesn't like Celebrity's hamburger offerings. Maybe together you can imbibe and nash ashore somewhere since cruising to visit interesting ports, towns and countries is not to your liking.

Ahhh, but Celebrity does stock a pretty decent selection of beer :). They even had Dogfish Head 90....which quickly brought a smile to my thirsty face.

Hank

Ahhh, but Celebrity does stock a pretty decent selection of beer :). They even had Dogfish Head 90....which quickly brought a smile to my thirsty face.

Hank

of the Dogfish Head 90 - how many of those would you drink a day, and how many on a 7 day cruise?

ColoCruise - "I agree however.....

So far there is a rear end for every seat and no slow down in sight."

Following the business plan of Blackberry, Beta-Max, AOL, Sears...........

Radio Shack just called and they want the 80's back.

Seawitch was the worst beer I have tasted in over 20 years. Glad it is gone.

Not as bad as any of the beers that they actually do have. I'm guessing you're not an IPA fan, while it wasn't the best IPA, it wasn't the worst I've had.

of the Dogfish Head 90 - how many of those would you drink a day, and how many on a 7 day cruise?

Oh My! The days of trying to outdrink the next guy have passed me by many decades ago. I am now a mere Senior who enjoys good beer, wine, scotch, cognac, bourbon, etc. Accordingly I do not keep score. But when I first spotted the Dogfish Head at the burger bar, the bar tender did give me a big grin and ask, "how many of those can you drink" and then he issued a caution. If I am on deck, am thirsty, then its my beer of choice, But I doubt if I ever had more than 3 on a sea day. But I was longing for Dogfish Head 120 and the bar tender did laugh and told me "next cruise."

But let me try to kick up a storm (not Stormy Daniels). IMHO Lite Beer is not even beer but something akin to what we used to call (50 years ago) "Near Beer." Even my son-in-law, who is a big beer drinker, will sometimes drink Lite Beer. I find this very disappointing....especially for a son-in-law :).

Hank

Not as bad as any of the beers that they actually do have. I'm guessing you're not an IPA fan, while it wasn't the best IPA, it wasn't the worst I've had.

You are right I am not an IPA fan but have tried several. Not again. I just think if beer is so important to having a good time on a cruise I wonder about you. Yes I drink beer and hard liquor but do not let it determine which cruise line I use. And I do not insist some multi million dollar corporation change things just to make me or a few others happy. Sorry folks this is as bad as the butter conspiracy.:eek:

Fact: Taste is subjective and everyone is entitled to their own favorite beer.

Fact: There are hundreds, if not thousands, of beers and therefore favorite beers.

Fact: Storage space aboard a ship is a critical limitation.

Fact: Cooler space at a ship's bar is extremely limited.

Fact: If you want every ship's bar to have your favorite beer in adequate quantity then you are going to have to buy your own ship.

You know, one's taste in beer and wine is very, very subjective. If Princess carried even two craft beers, the number of complaints would be the same. There will always be passengers who are bitterly disappointed about the beer, the wine, the butter, the pizza, and so forth. If that ruins the cruise for you, then take a land vacation by car, where you can stock up on whatever microbrew suits you and carry it in the car trunk.

When the ship docks in port, find a bar that stocks a list of beers that suit you, and enjoy your time there. When you get to the level of being a self-confessed beer snob or wine snob, you get into a really rarified atmosphere. If the lack of your brand of the "perfect beer" is not available in port or on board ship, then it's best to book another cruise line with a different itinerary --- or better yet, just stay home.

You know, one's taste in beer and wine is very, very subjective. If Princess carried even two craft beers, the number of complaints would be the same. There will always be passengers who are bitterly disappointed about the beer, the wine, the butter, the pizza, and so forth. If that ruins the cruise for you, then take a land vacation by car, where you can stock up on whatever microbrew suits you and carry it in the car trunk.

When the ship docks in port, find a bar that stocks a list of beers that suit you, and enjoy your time there. When you get to the level of being a self-confessed beer snob or wine snob, you get into a really rarified atmosphere. If the lack of your brand of the "perfect beer" is not available in port or on board ship, then it's best to book another cruise line with a different itinerary --- or better yet, just stay home.

My wife and I do not consider the beer selection as a high priority on our cruise selection criteria.

I have been on a significant number of cruises on various lines and has best as I can recall, Princess has the worst beer selection. It is a sign that Princess is not keeping up with the trend over the last 15 years. I really do not think it is a question of being subjective. The other choices of alcohol or to a lesser degree the wine selection is much more competitive.

As I mentioned previously if you want (or wish to see) a nice beer selection, try a Celebrity cruise.

On the one hand there is a simple solution sell Alaskan Amber on all ships. This is a 'good enough' beer for a large number of people who find Heineken and Grolsch to be bland - I drink both of these because there is nothing better. I will also substitute Bass.

I love several IPA but there are many that I find too hoppy and there in lies the problem.

I am amazed to hear many many times that Bud Lite or Coors Lite is the biggest selling beer in a bar.

Ahhh, Alaskan Amber!!! Yes! Well, not for me personally, but can I tell you that i have never seen an "AMBER ALE" on board any celebrity or princess ship? DH really prefers ambers, and does not care for IPA, of which there were a few on Celebrity. C'mon, Princess, you can do better.

When Princess had the SeaWitch beers we preferred their Denali which was more towards 'Amber'.

It is interesting that Princess had SeaWitch - shows they are not totally unaware or uncaring about beer selection.

Summary statement - many people are not beer drinkers and many of these drink Bud or Bud Lite when they want a long cold drink and not Soda. These beers are generally referred to as 'Lawn Mower Beers'

These Non-Beer drinkers like to accuse Beer Drinkers of being Snobs - No, if you do not drink beer you do not understand how bland or generic the current selections are.

Finally, for me, IPA has become a fad and many micros go overboard to make an extra hoppy IPA. I know several IPAs that are great and others that make me shake my head.

I think the thread should be aimed more as, a request to broaden the beer selection from generic, bland, Pilsner types of beer rather than a search for someone's favorite IPA.

When Princess had the SeaWitch beers we preferred their Denali which was more towards 'Amber'.

It is interesting that Princess had SeaWitch - shows they are not totally unaware or uncaring about beer selection.

Summary statement - many people are not beer drinkers and many of these drink Bud or Bud Lite when they want a long cold drink and not Soda. These beers are generally referred to as 'Lawn Mower Beers'

These Non-Beer drinkers like to accuse Beer Drinkers of being Snobs - No, if you do not drink beer you do not understand how bland or generic the current selections are.

Finally, for me, IPA has become a fad and many micros go overboard to make an extra hoppy IPA. I know several IPAs that are great and others that make me shake my head.

I think the thread should be aimed more as, a request to broaden the beer selection from generic, bland, Pilsner types of beer rather than a search for someone's favorite IPA.

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

;pPrincess sells beer for the masses, just like their cruises

Princess can sell 6-8 beers to a single person out by the pool for a few hours,

or

2- maybe 3 "craft beers" to a 'more discerning' consumer:rolleyes:

follow the money...:beer-toast::beer-toast::beer-toast:

Really - if there was just ONE IPA on the menu, I could cope and manage even whilst being gouged for said beer - but to be gouged while having to order a Heineken or a Grolsch? Come on....

It sounds like you should review the beer offerings on various cruise lines, and pick one which matches your needs.

I'm sure if you ask about the onboard choices in the various fora here, someone will post an answer for you.

I love first world problems threads..always keeps life in perspective.

Sorry, but can you please explain.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob

;pPrincess sells beer for the masses, just like their cruises

Princess can sell 6-8 beers to a single person out by the pool for a few hours,

or

2- maybe 3 "craft beers" to a 'more discerning' consumer:rolleyes:

follow the money...:beer-toast::beer-toast::beer-toast:

Why not accommodate both groups selling 8 Buds and 3 Craft ?

Just come back from a cruise on P&O Britannia. The beer selection was incredible, 70 different craft bottle beers.

Got to agree with the guy who posted for beer drinkers the beer selection on Princess is poor, tend to drink draught Guinness but it's a bit heavy after dinner.

Couple of decent beers would be a great addition.

Sent from my CUBOT MAGIC using Forums mobile app

I don't see the point in pushing for craft beers on cruise ships as there are thousands and you'll never get agreement about what is a good one(s) to have on the ship. I'd rather they just expand the range of beers that they have. For example a few of the Peroni types, Estrella, Asahi just to have a wider range. I must admit the current Princess range of bottled or canned beer is pretty average and I think on the cruise I have done they have had Heineken on tap which I find too malty and Newcastle Brown Ale which is battery acid. I prefer beer on tap but not those.

I don't see the point in pushing for craft beers on cruise ships as there are thousands and you'll never get agreement about what is a good one(s) to have on the ship. I'd rather they just expand the range of beers that they have. For example a few of the Peroni types, Estrella, Asahi just to have a wider range. I must admit the current Princess range of bottled or canned beer is pretty average and I think on the cruise I have done they have had Heineken on tap which I find too malty and Newcastle Brown Ale which is battery acid. I prefer beer on tap but not those.

Your first sentence pretty much says it all. No matter which limited selection of craft beers Princess could offer would bring complaints from an admitted beer snob. Each snob has there own preference; that’s why they call themselves snobs.

You mention that you don’t care for Heinekin tap. I find it fine. I agree with you on Newcastle. Lots of my friends enjoy the many iterations of Sam Adams; I think they all taste like iron. The point is that with so many craft beers available, there is no way to carry them all, or please everyone.

Your first sentence pretty much says it all. No matter which limited selection of craft beers Princess could offer would bring complaints from an admitted beer snob. Each snob has there own preference; that’s why they call themselves snobs.

You mention that you don’t care for Heinekin tap. I find it fine. I agree with you on Newcastle. Lots of my friends enjoy the many iterations of Sam Adams; I think they all taste like iron. The point is that with so many craft beers available, there is no way to carry them all, or please everyone.

If everyone had that attitude they might as well only serve boxed wine

Great idea then they could make more storage room for beers many will not drink. After all if each passenger is to be made happy by their choice then storage room will be at a premium. How many of each kind of beer should the ship keep on hand to make all happy? And if they get rid of some what happens when those who liked it complain when it is no longer carried. Princess can not and probably will not try to make any but the masses happy and if they lose a few they will not even notice them not coming back.

...After all if each passenger is to be made happy by their choice then storage room will be at a premium. How many of each kind of beer should the ship keep on hand to make all happy?

Not sure how this turned into everybody wants and should have their favorite beer on board. Of course that's not possible. How about just one middle-of-the IPA or pale ale? Of course pax will be unhappy if one of their favorites disappears no different than the steak on the always available menu or the upscale apps in the PES lounge.

I'd guess 99% of us "beer snobs" would gladly choke down a less than favorite IPA or Pale Ale over the fizzy water Bud Light.

Not at all. I think most people on here are just looking for a wider choice. Doesn't have to be too wide but I'd suggest another 10 or so options.

Ok, so who gets to pick the selection? And how big of a selection is enough? How about if they just pick the ones YOU like?

Ok, so who gets to pick the selection? And how big of a selection is enough? How about if they just pick the ones YOU like?

I never said they need to pick what I like. But just like Wine, they need a better selection. If we equate it to wine right now you have a lovely selection of sutter home, Gallo and Beringer White Zin. Not likely to make a wine drinker very happy. Beer drinkers are just asking for the same considerstion.

Part of Celebrity's plan to revitalize the entire fleet....

"Another big change across the fleet will be the transformation of the Cellar Masters wine bars to a gastrobar concept, which will serve some 40 craft beers"

at least one line gets it.

I never said they need to pick what I like. But just like Wine, they need a better selection. If we equate it to wine right now you have a lovely selection of sutter home, Gallo and Beringer White Zin. Not likely to make a wine drinker very happy. Beer drinkers are just asking for the same considerstion.

Some beer drinkers are but not all.

Drinkable beer is in the eye of the beholder. My son in law drinks craft beers. Some of the beers I have tasted are so bad that if I don’t see Bud or Coors, I drink water.

Drinkable beer is in the eye of the beholder. My son in law drinks craft beers. Some of the beers I have tasted are so bad that if I don’t see Bud or Coors, I drink water.

You are correct which is why ships (just like most bars) should stock a reasonable selection of beers. Celebrity has been doing this for a few years and it works fine. If you want your Coors or Coors Lite there is no problem. If I want my Dog Head Fish 90...no problem. If somebody else wants Gunness...no problem. Celebrity probably has about 20-25 different beers scattered around the various bars. I think their best selection is at the Grill where they make burgers (many love a beer with their burger) and they simply have a display with all the beers in view.

By the way, I found your comment about Bud, Coors and water funny because I don't think Bud and Coors taste much better then water :). But that's what makes the beer world go round.

Hank

As Sgt. Joe Friday always said---"just the facts."

Fact: Taste is subjective and everyone is entitled to their own favorite beer.

Fact: There are hundreds, if not thousands, of beers and therefore favorite beers.

Fact: Storage space aboard a ship is a critical limitation.

Fact: Cooler space at a ship's bar is extremely limited.

Fact: If you want every ship's bar to have your favorite beer in adequate quantity then you are going to have to buy your own ship.

Fact: storage space on an airline is more limited than a ship

Fact: the airlines are somehow finding ways to meet the demand

https://news.delta.com/tags/craft-beer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fact: storage space on an airline is more limited than a ship

Fact: the airlines are somehow finding ways to meet the demand

https://news.delta.com/tags/craft-beer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And I am sure if you look in the right places there will bo some people complaing about what the airlines are carrying.