bohica

How can Princess accomodate 3K passengers and have NO drinkable beer?

So I'm a bit of a beer snob, but even Carnival on a recent cruise had an IPA available on draft ( for 4 bucks no less). Princess selection is abysmal, and the same in all the bars. Made the call early to just rely on the Woodford Old Fashioned - but alas the bartending is also weak (Ruby Princess, Seattle Alaska RT). Could not be more disappointed in the selection, nor the value for money spent. Really - if there was just ONE IPA on the menu, I could cope and manage even whilst being gouged for said beer - but to be gouged while having to order a Heineken or a Grolsch? Come on....

Find another cruise line.:D

Well that will probably happen, this was the first, likely the last on Princess, but do you really think that's their marketing strategy? Sail out of Seattle, home of the birth of craft beer (along with PDX) but no offer anything crafty? They can bill seven and a half bucks for a bottle of beer, wouldn't you think they would WANT to have stuff the passengers want?

So I'm a bit of a beer snob, but even Carnival on a recent cruise had an IPA available on draft ( for 4 bucks no less). Princess selection is abysmal, and the same in all the bars. Made the call early to just rely on the Woodford Old Fashioned - but alas the bartending is also weak (Ruby Princess, Seattle Alaska RT). Could not be more disappointed in the selection, nor the value for money spent. Really - if there was just ONE IPA on the menu, I could cope and manage even whilst being gouged for said beer - but to be gouged while having to order a Heineken or a Grolsch? Come on....

Bohica,

Based upon you complaint, I would say you have the appropriate screen name. No doubt you feel that, when it comes to beer selection, Princess is fubar. Since I drink Gentleman Jack or Grey Goose, when it comes to beer, all I can say is dilligaf.

If attempting to attract more Millenials and younger to cruising Princess, expanding the beer choices including IPAs is a no-brainer.

Not a drinker, but I thought they had there own called Seawitch IPA? Or has that been discontinued?

Yes, the witch is gone. Plenty of fine beers available in port along the way, of course. On ship you will be required to drink what is available, which is limited.

Whine is allowed, but not recommended.

Not a drinker, but I thought they had there own called Seawitch IPA? Or has that been discontinued?

Pretty sure I saw that on our last Alaska Cruise out of Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say if you are particular with what you drink.... you may have to be flexible.. so that can only stock a certain range.. when you are dealing a couple of thousand people..

We go with the flow.. But there is only one white wine the other half likes on princess... god help us if they run out of that.....

Cheers Don

I enjoy Grolsch and Heineken... so don't see the problem.

On ship you will be required to drink what is available, which is limited.

Not sure your position on this: good thing? issue? or just 'same as it ever was'?

Bohica I feel your pain both with the lack of at least one good IPA on tap and the quicksand you have stepped in here. Folks here have an opinion and they are not afraid to share it. At the risk of getting trashed with you there are also a number trolls that will heap on the BS once that door has been opened.

FWIW I'm of the same mindset. What would it take to have one middle-of-road IPA on tap at one bar on the ship? Maybe logistics are an issue, maybe it's the older clientele, who knows, who cares. Get your bucket of fizzy water Bud light and enjoy the week then have a real beer when you get back home.

Bohica I feel your pain both with the lack of at least one good IPA on tap and the quicksand you have stepped in here. Folks here have an opinion and they are not afraid to share it. At the risk of getting trashed with you there are also a number trolls that will heap on the BS once that door has been opened.

FWIW I'm of the same mindset. What would it take to have one middle-of-road IPA on tap at one bar on the ship? Maybe logistics are an issue, maybe it's the older clientele, who knows, who cares. Get your bucket of fizzy water Bud light and enjoy the week then have a real beer when you get back home.

Well on tap would be an extra - just a bottle selection would do for me. As for having a bucket of bud light - thanks, but if I don't like it at home, I surely don't want it on vacation - that's why I turned to the Woodford Old Fashioned. Sadly the bar staff is wildly inconsistent - and having simple syrup available at all times is not even a given. I had one bartender pull a sugar packet out of his pocket and pour it on the orange slice before muddling it.....not sure what to make of all of it.

..that's why I turned to the Woodford Old Fashioned. Sadly the bar staff is wildly inconsistent...

I solved this by drinking scotch and after dinner cognac. This however, doesn't work very well if you start at lunch and have the 8:15PM seating for dinner although I did try it one day. It was back to the fizzy water after that.

Beer Oh Beer. Beer is not to be stored in green bottles as the light will sour the concoction in no time at all. While cruisecritic members like to believe they weald the sword of Zeus(Zeus had a sword?) we have found that a hand written letter to the cruise company of choice yields better results. Not a 100% return on letters, but a higher return rate than lamenting in a forum. We would love to see a better selection on zymurgy production available on ships, but imbibing while in port will be the only current path to satisfaction while on a Princess cruise. Best of luck on effecting corporate change.

What is considered " drinkable" beer is up to the person drinking it. Apparently out of 3000 passengers there are many who have found the beer onboard "drinkable" as they can be seen consuming it in various venues throughout he ship. So it would seem you are in the minority and destined to be beerless onbaord for the forseeable future. Enjoy your beer in the ports you visit.

To the OP:

AMEN! We too are beer snobs. The best we have found on Princess cruises is Alaska Brewing Company and that is only available on Alaska cruises or on ships that have just transitioned from the Alaska cruises. Is it great beer? NO. is it better than the other beer on Princess? YES. My wife will also drink Newcastle on tap if they have it - which they did on Emerald Princess. We love good beer and would be happy if Princess would just carry Denali Brewing Company beer from Talkeetna. After all, they have a lodge right near there with excursions to Talkeetna. They make a good Stout and a great Double IPA.

My wife always thought she hated beer until I started making it many years ago. She discovered she loves beer. It's Budweiser and Coors and such that she doesn't like and those aren't really beer. We have long lamented the lack of good beer on Princess cruises. For those who ask about the (now defunct) Sea Witch beer I can tell you that it was not good beer. It was a poor attempt at real beer and we don't miss it at all.

We had the beverage package as a perk on our last two cruises. 28 days and 14 days. My wife drank the Newcastle on tap o the longer cruise (and I even had a couple) and on the second cruise I had a couple of Heineken because there was nothing else and my wife had a few of some other brand we didn't recognize and I can't remember but it was better than the other stuff that was offered. We both miss good beer when cruising but make it a point of drinking the local beer onshore. Granted, it can be hard to find a good beer but we like to try the local stuff. At least in Hawaii you can go to the Kona Brewery if you happen to have Kona as a port. On our 28 day cruise Apia was cancelled due to ongoing port work so they substituted an extra port in Hawaii and we stopped at Kona. We naturally visited the brew pub.

I drank a lot of Talisker as well as Bloody Marys and Tanqueray and Tonic. I also had my share of Chairman of the Board Martinis. Beer just can't be a priority on a Princess cruise.

What is considered " drinkable" beer is up to the person drinking it. Apparently out of 3000 passengers there are many who have found the beer onboard "drinkable" as they can be seen consuming it in various venues throughout he ship. So it would seem you are in the minority and destined to be beerless onbaord for the forseeable future. Enjoy your beer in the ports you visit.

Yet other lines have it available on tap. I know for fact RCL and NCL. Poster the issue with the reply is the older posters on this board don’t want any changes or innovations with the Princess product. I am surprised with the changes Princess is making to attract a younger demographic of on board spenders this has not come up before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO, the OP has a legitimate complaint. With as popular as craft beers are, you'd think Princess would have more to choose from and thereby, increase their bar sales. That's all the OP wants to do - spend his money on the ship. You'd think Princess would want to assist him in that endeavor.

Did they not have any Alaskan Brewing beers on board? They have every year I've gone, except for the 1-2 years that they replaced it with SeaWitch. They have had 2-3 varieties, though not an IPA that I recall. I can't stand IPA myself, but I've been very happy with Alaskan Amber. Way better than the other crap beer they serve.

I order the Grolsch but I tend to sympathize with bohica. Would it kill Princess to have a bit more selection on board? It's not like they are giving beer away. It would probably be good for business as well.

Posted (edited)
Yet other lines have it available on tap. I know for fact RCL and NCL. Poster the issue with the reply is the older posters on this board don’t want any changes or innovations with the Princess product. I am surprised with the changes Princess is making to attract a younger demographic of on board spenders this has not come up before.

I wonder if my wife and I qualify as "older posters" on this board. I'm 65 and she is 66. We definitely agree with the OP. My brother-in-law is 72 and, while he isn't a Princess cruiser, he would definitely agree that the selection on Princess is mostly "not really beer". One doesn't have to be young to appreciate good beer. I do, however, agree with statements that Princess sells a buttload of Bud, Bud Light, Coors and Coors Light and many buckets of Corona. We don't understand it but then we don't drink that sort of stuff. If Princess had it for free we still wouldn't be drinking those brands. Even in Mexico we don't drink Corona. We will drink Pacifico or Negra Modelo because, after all, we are in Mexico but won't stoop to Corona. Hot and humid countries don't tend to have things such as IPA as it will knock you down hard so one drinks what is available locally. We've had some interesting lighter beers in the South Pacific.

We actually had a decent beer in Curacao from the Montana Brewing Company. (It is in Curacao - not the US.) We tried the Pale Ale and the Red - both of which were good. (The Red was better than the Pale Ale.) They have a dark beer which looks like a Stout that I would have loved to try but it wasn't available on tap when we were walking around. We were quite surprised to find this as most islands only have lighter beers available. I've also heard there is a Curacao Brewing Company that makes real beer as well.

Edited by Thrak

The have a few nice local beers on the Australian cruises. No IPAs though but the Fat Yak is a pale ale.

Drink some soda.

Drink some soda.

Better yet, make the transition to full adulthood and start drinking cocktails.

Who said anything about not wantingany changes or innovations? If Princess wants to carry a specific brand f beer or hard liquor I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with someone making a dfinitive statement that what they do carry is not drinkable. Taste is subjective, if you do not like the beer on boad then OK do not drink it. Princess can change anything they want and I can gaurantee it will be posters of all ages that will complain. No need to just pick on so called old people.

I can see where you're coming from, but from the country that gave us Buds, Coors and other alcohol and taste free "beers" it's just a tad rich to be complaining about Princess' admittedly restricted range.

And while US microbreweries are some of the best in the world, I can count on the fingers of one hand that has lost an argument with a meat cleaver the number of half-decent IPAs I've drunk here.

Generally, I'll grab a beer or two in whatever port of call I'm washed up in...

The have a few nice local beers on the Australian cruises. No IPAs though but the Fat Yak is a pale ale.

I'm heading off for a cruise down-under in November. Makes mental note...

I can see where you're coming from, but from the country that gave us Buds, Coors and other alcohol and taste free "beers" it's just a tad rich to be complaining about Princess' admittedly restricted range.

And while US microbreweries are some of the best in the world, I can count on the fingers of one hand that has lost an argument with a meat cleaver the number of half-decent IPAs I've drunk here.

Generally, I'll grab a beer or two in whatever port of call I'm washed up in...

Well then maybe they can stock up in Vancouver instead :hearteyes: BC makes some great IPAs. They win awards all over the world. Princess should get a clue that mass produced beer drinking is down, craft beer consumption is up. Get on the bandwagon and stop serving swill.

Well then maybe they can stock up in Vancouver instead :hearteyes: BC makes some great IPAs. They win awards all over the world. Princess should get a clue that mass produced beer drinking is down, craft beer consumption is up. Get on the bandwagon and stop serving swill.

Preaching to the converted :cool: Vancouver - home to some top notch breweries as well as decent coffee (and no, I don't mean Tim's) which comes in useful afterwards...

Preaching to the converted :cool: Vancouver - home to some top notch breweries as well as decent coffee (and no, I don't mean Tim's) which comes in useful afterwards...

Tim’s is disgusting. We try to do our best as locals to support a different brewery as much as possible. We certainly have enough of them.

Better yet, make the transition to full adulthood and start drinking cocktails.

Hmm, you have to drink hard liquor to be an adult?? Never knew that!

Tom

Seawitch IPA was promoted as prize winning. Turned out it was something like the third tier of prizes in a category described as "people will drink it."

Bohica, I also am a lover of a good IPA drawn from a tap instead of a bottle. Princess did have Seawitch in bottles for awhile but seem to have discontinued it. It actually did not taste all that well to me but certainly better than the big US brands which are basically tasteless. To taste good beer, it needs to be served warmer than ice cold. I do wish Princess would step up and get some better options than bud light in a can. Luckily for me they do have my favorite bourbons Maker's Mark and Knob Creek so all is not lost.

This is beyond what is known as a “first world problem”. In fact it is more of a “Seattle hipster problem”.

Looks like a Carnaval cruise for your future. Do you really think a cruise line could stock thousands of different craft beers?

retro fit SHARE or Princess Live as micro breweries / pubs

winner, winner chicken and waffle dinner...with a side of shrimp and cheese grits;p

You make a good point. I don't drink a lot of beer but some variety with microbrews is nice. My guess is that they get very nice deal$ from the big guys and can sustain smaller beer inventories on their ships. With the likes of Budweiser buying up many microbreweries, it would be great to have a couple available. Ideas of a beer or two on draft for $4 would, IMHO, bring more people to the bars, too.

This is beyond what is known as a “first world problem”. In fact it is more of a “Seattle hipster problem”.

Looks like a Carnaval cruise for your future. Do you really think a cruise line could stock thousands of different craft beers?

you truly are clueless to the market for craft beer.

Do you really think a cruise line could stock thousands of different craft beers?

No - How about at least one?