Current Cruise Director (CD) List

On 3/2/2019 at 1:32 AM, DELTABLUE said:

ADVENTURE:  Ken Jones December 30 (for 2 months or 4 months?  Then Drew Devine?)
ALLURE  Mitch Merucci February 22 until April 21
ANTHEM Dennis Charles returns January 6 until May 4, then Mitch Merucci May 4 until July 13.  Mitch returns September 7 until January 5, 2020
BRILLIANCE:  Enzo Matijaca 
EMPRESS:    Elvis Pinto #803
ENCHANTMENT:   Bobby Broughton January 17 until March 4, then Susan Adams returns March 4 for 4 months.
EXPLORER:  Clo O'Connor until sometime in March when Graham returns (need date)  
FREEDOM:  Rob McNally January 13 (for 4 months?)
GRANDEUR:  John Blair February 23 until June 13, and August 8 until November 30
HARMONY:   Marc Walker March 29 until late July #812, then Dennis Charles expects to be headed to Harmony for 2 months to cover Marc's break.
INDEPENDENCE:   Jamie Fentiman  late November until late March (need date, then who?)
JEWEL:  Simona Ferraiuolo  early November (for 4 months?)  Any update?
LIBERTY:  Jeff Arpin January 20 -April 28, Brian Leavitt new CD as of April 28 #755
MARINER: Mercedes Lafuente off ship. #839 Who's next?

MAJESTY:  Tanya Yates Tongue January 14 until April 29
NAVIGATOR:   in drydock until February 24 - Does Rob McNally return on February 24 for 4 months?
OASIS:  Dan Whitney November 4 (for 2 months?), Mike Hunnerup TA in April #701
OVATION:  Joff Eaton  November 28 until March 30, Chris Brown TP April 17 #738
QUANTUM: Paul Rutter (until when?)
RADIANCE:  Cuddy Cudworth January 14 (for 4 months?)
RHAPSODY: Bill Bronckhorst January 12 (for 2 months or 4 months)?
SERENADE:  Carly Boileau
SYMPHONY: A Bobby Brown January 5 until March 16, Simeon March 9 #769,  then Abe Hughes March 16 until May 4, then Mike Szwajkowski 
VISION:   Steve Davis early October until March 2 #806, then CeCe #810 
VOYAGER:  Michelle Oliveira December 3 (for 4 months?)

CeCe's last name?

Jewel:  March 13 - Simona goes on vacation.  Andrea comes back.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Jewel:  March 13 - Simona goes on vacation.  Andrea comes back.

Good news.  Simona was kind of dry on the Feb 25th Jewel cruise, especially during the Love & Marriage event.

Edited by Dennis#1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Good news.  Simona was kind of dry on the Feb 25th Jewel cruise, especially during the Love & Marriage event.

I’m currently on Jewel and also sailed on her in November. Never saw Simona anywhere other than introducing shows.  Unfortunately, she’s probably the worst host I’ve sailed with in 20 years.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 1:57 PM, Muerz said:

Has anyone got an opinion on the new Navigator CD Hugo Arenas?

We had him as CD when we sailed on Mariner back in November.....a bundle of energy.  He came up through the ranks; he was our Activity Mgr when we sailed two years ago on Harmony and learned a great deal from Bobby Brown.  He incorporates some of Bobby Brown's unique things with his own style and energy....good combo.

1 minute ago, Big blue and hairy said:

I am not being snarky, I am curious, why do you all care which CD is where?  How much difference does it make?

It took me a few cruises to realize the affect a cruise director can have on a cruise.   I don't choose a cruise because of a cruise director, but how they organize activities and how they interact with cruisers by the way they host activities does have an impact on a sailing.  The bigger ships have less of the CD actually working as an 'entertainer' who introduces the nightly shows in the theater, yet they still do a great deal of hosting other 'prime activities'.   Each CD is different and they impact the way the rest of their entertainment team does their individual jobs and how they interact with cruisers.  

In no way would I avoid a sailing just because of a CD, but when I know who the CD is and am looking forward to them....that is a positive. 

• Like 1

Different CDs have different styles in how they run their cruises.  Some appeal more to some people than others.  I'm thrilled to be cruising with a fav CD soon though he is not popular with some others.  Different strokes for different folks.  That said, your cruise is mostly what you make of it.

6 minutes ago, Big blue and hairy said:

I am not being snarky, I am curious, why do you all care which CD is where?  How much difference does it make?

This comes up time and time again. 

Cruise Directors are in charge of the entertainment and activities onboard a ship. Many cruisers enjoy attending these activities, which can be made or broken by whoever is the CD. In addition to that, some Cruise Directors have fans that sail with them often and want to know which ship to sail with. Without the Cruise Director, you would have none of the entertainment offering. In addition, they sort of set the vibe on the ship, which can have a knock on effect on their staff.

I'm sailing on Harmony in summer and felt confident booking that ship when I heard that Marc Walker would be CD, especially since I've sailed with a few less than stellar CD's in the past.

Edited by CruisingJoe09
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Big blue and hairy said:

I don't think the Cruise Director makes or breaks any cruise, but.....

A REALLY REALLY GREAT Cruise Director can take a good fun cruise and make it unforgettably GREAT.  

We have experienced that only a couple of times, but those two time are still our favorite cruises.  One was on the Jewel with Joff and the other was on the Mariner with Becky. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DELTABLUE said:

Different CDs have different styles in how they run their cruises.  Some appeal more to some people than others.  I'm thrilled to be cruising with a fav CD soon though he is not popular with some others.  Different strokes for different folks.  That said, your cruise is mostly what you make of it.

Well said!

19 minutes ago, johnboi said:

Just off symphony this morning, and Bobby is getting off today and going to Germany to be the inaugural CD on Spectrum. 

Some CD's obviously appeal to some and not to others but I don't get why he always gets the new ships. That's all I'm going to say.

8 hours ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Some CD's obviously appeal to some and not to others but I don't get why he always gets the new ships. That's all I'm going to say.

I tend agree. We found him and Katy to be pretty much invisible the whole cruise, at least until the last evening. 

20 hours ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

I assume being responsible for the start of a new ship requires different skills more focused on management than to run a ship in standard operations with main focus on being a fun entertainer.

Edited by Saab4444

20 hours ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Some of the other CD's, Ken Rush, who have taken out new ships are no longer doing it.....so then someone else has to.  We enjoyed Bobby Brown on the two sailings we have been on, and I imagine taking out a new ship has its' own management issues to tackle that more seasoned CD's are best to tackle, so if Bobby Brown is taking out the next ship.....I guess that Royal believes he is the best to do it.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 4:13 PM, Paulette3028 said:

It took me a few cruises to realize the affect a cruise director can have on a cruise.   I don't choose a cruise because of a cruise director, but how they organize activities and how they interact with cruisers by the way they host activities does have an impact on a sailing.  The bigger ships have less of the CD actually working as an 'entertainer' who introduces the nightly shows in the theater, yet they still do a great deal of hosting other 'prime activities'.   Each CD is different and they impact the way the rest of their entertainment team does their individual jobs and how they interact with cruisers.  

In no way would I avoid a sailing just because of a CD, but when I know who the CD is and am looking forward to them....that is a positive. 

I’m thinking the same thing. I would also add for us a great activities staff and manager are equally important.

Transatlantic on Visions October 2018 the activities manager was Talita Leone and it was our best cruise ever. Non stop activities and fun.

February 2019 Grandeur was the worst activities or lack of in over 40 cruises on many ships and different cruise brands. However the Grandeur food and service were excellent. Grandeur 2017 was excellent with Sherrie the activities manager.

I like to find out who the CD is for an upcoming cruise and then reach out to them for assurances that Zumba and dancing opportunities are abundant. Each and every time RCL CD’s have gotten back to me.

Anthem 2016 excellent staff.

I do this for my wife. If she’s happy I’m happy!