Cruise Critic Community
Jgarriso

Help with amber cove plan, please. Taxi tour and beach.

going to amber cove in Sept on Carnival Magic. Would like to find taxi for four adults with tour and shopping, then get taken to beautiful beach. Then grab another taxi back to ship later. I understand taxis are outside pier, short walk and a ‘handler’ to arrange, what beach would you recommend for swimming and lounging with food and facilities and taxis available for return trip?

Thanks, advice appreciated.

Any suggestion fellow cruisers?

One reason you aren’t getting many responses is that there are not many beaches / beach clubs near the port such as there are in other ports (Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, etc.). We have only done the 27 Waterfalls your there and really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. That explains alot. Carnival ship monopoly on excursions. (or close to it)

Thank you. That explains alot. Carnival ship monopoly on excursions. (or close to it)

We used Marysol Tours for the Waterfalls and were happy with them. They and Iguana Mama both get good reviews and offer other tours as well that may be of interest to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amber Cove is not a beach destination. It is a tropical island with lots of land tours available, cultural stuff, not so much water stuff. It is on the north side of island, nearest resort town is Puerta Plata an hour away accessed by a highway. Nothing much in between but jungle and dirt roads.

We did an excursion that took us to Coconut Beach, through Carnival, and it was probably typical of all beaches on northside of island. It is a long hour bumpy ride on dirt roads to get there.

DSCF0126-L.jpg

robin

Thanks guys, I will check out the tour companies and appreciate the geographical advice. Helps to plan.