Charging for internet usage..what's your opinion ?

Boatdrill

15 years ago when I travelled on businsss just about every hotel charged for internet. Usually $10-15.

I cannot recall ever paying for internet over the last five or six years in any hotel members in the chains..Hilton, Marriott, Accor, or Melia. It has always been free with sometimes a fee based offer for higher speed. I cannot think of one B$B, any hotel (one star-five star) hotel over the past five years where we have stayed that did not provide internet for free. That includes Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, Central, South, and North America. In general, the best internet provided to us in terms of speed and availability has been in various countries within SE Asia.

Not saying that it will happen on cruise lines. I do suspect that at some point one of the mass market lines will start bundling 'free' internet into the cabin rate structure. Now, that interment may have speed and access limitations. As the mass market cruise lines become more homogeneous their sales and marketing folks will look at ways to differentiate their respective products.

It has been confirmed to me today by Mariners society that all HAL ships are turning to the new packages of unlimited internet effective end of July. All 'per minute' packages' will be gone by August 1. Only option are now per day or per voyage, but unlimited use.

Glad I don’t use it anymore as those packages don’t work for me. I would only need 5-10 minutes a day at the most. Thankfully I have t-mobile.

Wonder the impact on the Mariner benefit for discounted minutes.

the 5* Mariner benefit is only 50% off the 100 minute package.

I've had the unlimited packages and they simply deduct the $27/$37 (forget which it is sorry) off the cost of the package.

I like the unlimited but the caveat to it is that if you have 2 five star mariners in the cabin, you only get one reduction. It's not like the minute package where you can sign on for one under one person and then later another minute package on the other.

So, you don't get the benefit of both of your entitlements. Hope I explained this clearly.

Thanks Jacque, that make sense. I checked and HAL has updated their Mariner Benefits to add $30 off of any package so I guess that basically means one free day. Again for us, we just need very small amounts on a day so none of this will work for us. Figures as we are just hitting 5 star. Now I know someone will come alone and say what I want doesn’t matter cause I am an old used up fuddy duddty :loudcry::o:eek:

Thanks Jacque, that make sense. I checked and HAL has updated their Mariner Benefits to add $30 off of any package so I guess that basically means one free day. Again for us, we just need very small amounts on a day so none of this will work for us. Figures as we are just hitting 5 star. Now I know someone will come alone and say what I want doesn’t matter cause I am an old used up fuddy duddty :loudcry::o:eek:

Kirk, if I recall correctly (and my memory can be short), you usually do longer cruises. My experience is that with the longer cruises, the price is quite reasonble - much more than with 7 day cruises.

You just need the medium package if you want to use email and on the two cruises where I had it, it was less than a 1,000 minute package and it was also available on a daily basis.

So, if you have several days at sea and you just want it for emails, etc., you could just do one day and then wait until you get to port. Just a suggestion.

Personally, I enjoyed not worrying about the minutes ticking away. And no, I don't think you are a fuddy duddy ;)

Thanks Jacque ,

You are correct, our preferred cruises are 70 days or more. Recently we have been sidetracked due to medical reasons but that ends in a few weeks as we say goodbye to the P’dam with a 97 day journey.

We will look at pricing on the longer cruises but so far once we switched to t-mobile we have not bought any internet time. That becomes problematic on cruises with 6,7 or 8 sea days. A’ first world problems .

Thanks Jacque ,

You are correct, our preferred cruises are 70 days or more. Recently we have been sidetracked due to medical reasons but that ends in a few weeks as we say goodbye to the P’dam with a 97 day journey.

We will look at pricing on the longer cruises but so far once we switched to t-mobile we have not bought any internet time. That becomes problematic on cruises with 6,7 or 8 sea days. A’ first world problems .

I honestly can't see you having an issue on the Prinsendam. It as still on the minute plan when we were on in May & June. It's sold now and chartered back so I doubt that the internet will be changed. Selfishly, for me, I wish it would be, but since the other suits you better, I doubt it will happen..

If I were a betting person, I would say it will be the by the minute package if that's any help.

I honestly can't see you having an issue on the Prinsendam. It as still on the minute plan when we were on in May & June. It's sold now and chartered back so I doubt that the internet will be changed. Selfishly, for me, I wish it would be, but since the other suits you better, I doubt it will happen..

If I were a betting person, I would say it will be the by the minute package if that's any help.

Thanks for sharing this info on the Prinsendam. We'll be onboard soon, and I was hoping they would have the newly-described packages.

Thanks for sharing this info on the Prinsendam. We'll be onboard soon, and I was hoping they would have the newly-described packages.

I would be happy to be in error for your sake ;)

Do let us know if they have switched to the unlimited on your cruise, please.

Not saying that it will happen on cruise lines. I do suspect that at some point one of the mass market lines will start bundling 'free' internet into the cabin rate structure. Now, that interment may have speed and access limitations. As the mass market cruise lines become more homogeneous their sales and marketing folks will look at ways to differentiate their respective products.
It could go either way, actually - and if past examples are indicative, it might go one way and then back the other way:

The most prominent trend in pricing in hospitality and travel is unbundling. This reflects the fact that something has a lot of value to some (read: those who have to keep in touch with the office while traveling) but if offered gratis to all would represent some cost (and therefore affect the bottom line). This is why we see fees for checking baggage aboard airlines. It is more profitable to charge for it, so that those who "really really" need it can be charged a great deal of money. Since satellite service is a scarce, and therefore costly, resource, that argues for keeping the Internet charge.

By the same token, I could see how the next recession would stress the system to the point where cruise lines would make decisions that are the right decisions in the short-term but wouldn't be the kind of wise decisions for the long-term that the cruise lines would make during relatively good times, like today. One of the myopic decisions the cruise lines might make under that stress is increasing inclusions - throwing in things that they used to charge separately for as a means of attracting passengers during lean times. The problem with that, of course, is that once you've included it, customers gain a sense of entitlement, warranted or not, that it will always be included.

Put the two together: A recession happens. Cruise lines add "free Internet" as a come-on to attract passengers during the recession. After the recession the cruise line unbundles Internet service, charging a fee for it again, putting things back the way they are now. Messy, but not completely beyond the realm of possibility.

One of the myopic decisions the cruise lines might make under that stress is increasing inclusions - throwing in things that they used to charge separately for as a means of attracting passengers during lean times. The problem with that, of course, is that once you've included it, customers gain a sense of entitlement, warranted or not, that it will always be included.

This has already happened with the drink packages. As I recall, when we first started cruising over a decade ago, there was a lot of discussion about whether or not the cruise lines should follow the lead of the "all-inclusive" resorts by introducing all-you-can drink options. Some people felt that there might be security concerns when combining alcohol and a moving vessel, yet that did not appear to deter the powers that be; and from what we have witnessed (in terms of fellow guests comparing the "perks" that they scored when booking their cruise), the booze packages are a popular inclusion.

We would rather have pay internet instead of bundled. We very seldom use the on board internet. We prefer to use land based every few days. Faster and it is free. Usually in a cafe or bar a few blocks from the ship. We are both retired. We don't need to skype our children or grandchildren every day nor do we need to send hours on facebook.

Is it a scam? No. In fact, nobody forces a passenger to even use the internet and many older cruisers (including moi) can talk about the days before the Internet and cell phones when passengers would run to telephone booths at cruise ship ports :). That being said, we cruise on many different lines and HAL is one of the few lines that does not give their frequent cruisers some free internet. Consider that when we cruise on Princess, DW and I get 500 free minutes (each) for a 14+ day cruise. On Celebrity and RCI we get a few free hours. On HAL we get a small discount (we are 5 Star Mariners) if we choose to purchase a package. Big deal.

Hank

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort Fee. The Hilton Hawaiian Village charges a Resort Fee of $40.00 per night per room that is in addition to our rates and that will be automatically added to your bill by the hotel. The Resort Fee provides the following: WiFi access in your room and in most public areas around the resort.

amazing how many deluxe level hotels charge a resort fee these days.....while a motel six is free...

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort Fee. The Hilton Hawaiian Village charges a Resort Fee of $40.00 per night per room that is in addition to our rates and that will be automatically added to your bill by the hotel. The Resort Fee provides the following: WiFi access in your room and in most public areas around the resort.

amazing how many deluxe level hotels charge a resort fee these days.....while a motel six is free...

To be fair, the $40 includes a great deal more than your internet:

The following items are included in our Daily Resort Charge:

• WiFi access in your room and in most public areas around the resort

• PlayStation® 3 access with unlimited movies and games (DVD Now card given to you at check-in can only be used in your specified tower. One movie/game can be removed at a time.)

• Local, toll-free, and credit card calls (No access fee)

• Hawaiian Village Cultural Activities (Sign up at the Activities desk in the Main Lobby. Please bring your DVD Now card to present to your instructor.)

• 10% off or 1 category upgrade on a 2-day or more rental from National Rental Car located at Tapa Tower in Hilton Hawaiian Village* (Present your DVD Now Card.)

• Movies on Wednesdays and Saturdays at sundown (See Movie titles and location on your in-room television channel #7.)

• 20% off the Adventure Sail on the Spirit of Aloha Catamaran** (Present your DVD Now Card at the Spirit of Aloha desk.)

• Outdoor Morning Exercise Classes. (Sign up at the Activities desk in the Main Lobby. Present your DVD Now Card to the instructor.)

• 10% off at Waikiki Beach Activities'† for beach chairs & umbrellas, kayaks, pedal boats, stand-up paddle boards and aqua cycles.*** (Present your DVD Now card at any Waikiki Beach Activities beach or lagoon stand)

• Buy one adult admission and get one child (4-12 years) admission free to the Waikiki Aquarium. Please bring your DVD Now Card to the Waikiki Aquarium ticket office to receive offer.

Whether or not the total package is worth $40 would depend on how many of the features you take advantage of.

To be fair, the $40 includes a great deal more than your internet:

The following items are included in our Daily Resort Charge:

• WiFi access in your room and in most public areas around the resort

• PlayStation® 3 access with unlimited movies and games (DVD Now card given to you at check-in can only be used in your specified tower. One movie/game can be removed at a time.)

• Local, toll-free, and credit card calls (No access fee)

• Hawaiian Village Cultural Activities (Sign up at the Activities desk in the Main Lobby. Please bring your DVD Now card to present to your instructor.)

• 10% off or 1 category upgrade on a 2-day or more rental from National Rental Car located at Tapa Tower in Hilton Hawaiian Village* (Present your DVD Now Card.)

• Movies on Wednesdays and Saturdays at sundown (See Movie titles and location on your in-room television channel #7.)

• 20% off the Adventure Sail on the Spirit of Aloha Catamaran** (Present your DVD Now Card at the Spirit of Aloha desk.)

• Outdoor Morning Exercise Classes. (Sign up at the Activities desk in the Main Lobby. Present your DVD Now Card to the instructor.)

• 10% off at Waikiki Beach Activities'† for beach chairs & umbrellas, kayaks, pedal boats, stand-up paddle boards and aqua cycles.*** (Present your DVD Now card at any Waikiki Beach Activities beach or lagoon stand)

• Buy one adult admission and get one child (4-12 years) admission free to the Waikiki Aquarium. Please bring your DVD Now Card to the Waikiki Aquarium ticket office to receive offer.

Whether or not the total package is worth $40 would depend on how many of the features you take advantage of.

As very frequent world travelers we have managed to avoid "Resort Fees" for many years by simply taking ourselves and money elsewhere. The first time we ever saw a resort fee was on a trip to Las Vegas in the early 70s and we simply refused to pay the fee since it was not quoted as part of our confirmed reservation price. Now, it has become the norm in many places but we have still managed to vote with our dollars without compromising the quality of places we stay :).

The worst practice we have encountered is in Niagara Falls, CA where many hotels/restaurants charge a "TIF" or Tourist Improvement Fee." Many places try to bury this on the bill or pass it off as a mandatory tax.....which it is not! And there is no way to know of the facility simple pockets this faux tax or actually does pass it all along to the local tourist bureau.

Hank

The worst practice we have encountered is in Niagara Falls, CA where many hotels/restaurants charge a "TIF" or Tourist Improvement Fee." Many places try to bury this on the bill or pass it off as a mandatory tax.....which it is not! And there is no way to know of the facility simple pockets this faux tax or actually does pass it all along to the local tourist bureau.

Hank

Yes, the TIF has been the subject of innumerable consumer complaints and investigations. I haven't stayed in Niagara Falls since it was introduced, so I don't know if any of the hotels I might consider have opted to join this money grab.

As very frequent world travelers we have managed to avoid "Resort Fees" for many years by simply taking ourselves and money elsewhere. The first time we ever saw a resort fee was on a trip to Las Vegas in the early 70s and we simply refused to pay the fee since it was not quoted as part of our confirmed reservation price. Now, it has become the norm in many places but we have still managed to vote with our dollars without compromising the quality of places we stay :).

Hank

We also avoid anywhere that charges this fee. Generally, we rent a house, cabin, apartment etc. rather than staying in hotels.

I appreciate that they charge to use the internet, that keeps people off that are just checking facebook/instagram and those of that use it to stay connected to the office while on vacation can get a decent speed.

For those that feel they are "entitled" to the internet, you aren't.

I appreciate that they charge to use the internet, that keeps people off that are just checking facebook/instagram and those of that use it to stay connected to the office while on vacation can get a decent speed.

Here here, from one Coloradan to another. If it was free, everyone would use it and make it slow - there is only so much bandwidth that can be provided on a ship.