Will hurricane Chris affect us on our HAL Boston to Montreal cruise 7/14-7/21?

ontheweb

There are 2 possible tracks (and one of them affects us) but until the storm starts really moving it is hard to say which one it will be.

But, from what I have seen so far, the storm will be at Nova Sotia area / Atlantic waters nearby) on Thursday most likely and will hit Newfoundland on Friday.

I have been watching closely ;) and have (yn) that we all escape the wrath.

I doubt it. I was on the Maasdam years ago leaving Boston for Montreal. We were caught in the middle of a low off Halifax and a tropical storm to the south of us. The captain warned us upon leaving Bar Harbor that it was going to be rough - it was. Rough all the way to Halifax then back out into the seas to North Sydney and onto Charlottetown. People in Charlottetown couldn't believe we were out in that storm. We had gale force 9 winds and 47 foot seas!!! I happen to like rough seas. It was a trip to remember:). If it gets rough go up to the Front Desk and ask for some motion sickness pills - non-dowsy.

:o

There are 2 possible tracks (and one of them affects us) but until the storm starts really moving it is hard to say which one it will be.

But, from what I have seen so far, the storm will be at Nova Sotia area / Atlantic waters nearby) on Thursday most likely and will hit Newfoundland on Friday.

Let's hope and PRAY (after all HAL is the cruise line with the priest aboard.)

I doubt it. I was on the Maasdam years ago leaving Boston for Montreal. We were caught in the middle of a low off Halifax and a tropical storm to the south of us. The captain warned us upon leaving Bar Harbor that it was going to be rough - it was. Rough all the way to Halifax then back out into the seas to North Sydney and onto Charlottetown. People in Charlottetown couldn't believe we were out in that storm. We had gale force 9 winds and 47 foot seas!!! I happen to like rough seas. It was a trip to remember:). If it gets rough go up to the Front Desk and ask for some motion sickness pills - non-dowsy.

I am always amazed at people who like rough seas.. I wish that I did!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was the RCL Anthem of the Seas in 2016 that was cruising from Bayonne NJ to Ft. Lauderdale. There was a tropical storm further out to sea and was forecast to pass them to the east. So the captain figured they would "beat it" and not be impacted. The storm didn't pay any attention to the captain's wishes and the ship had to return to Bayonne, cancelling the rest of the cruise. The unexpected very high winds caused damage to the ship and sickened many passengers.

There are 'seas' but the storm is far off the coast from Boston.. No winds or heavy rain here now or predicted for 'land' nearby. Can't speak to what will b e situation as you sail north.

f

Since you seem to be from the area, what sort of weather should we anticipate. Would we need more than basically summer clothing?

Maritimes are at more risk. Little to no risk Boston will be hit. Could be some rough seas.

In addition to summer clothes, I would bring a light weight, water repellent hooded jACKET . I'D HAVE A CARDIGAN, iT has been extremely hot in Boston these last weeks The jacket and cardigan may be useful in Nova Scotia

My guess is Boston won't even be brushed by the storm but Canada will be. Stay safe a ll who may be in t he path.

Since you seem to be from the area, what sort of weather should we anticipate. Would we need more than basically summer clothing?

It's summer here. And we do get summer. Assuming you are not going to Newfoundland, no need to layer.

If you are going to Sydney, they may get hit with a cold front from all of the mix of weather, but I am not talking freezing cold, just cooler than normal ;)

It's been very humid here but the storm will knock it out.

Our summers are warm (not FLL temps) but pleasant and warm. Hope this helps and if you need more info, or, if I wasn't clear just ask.

Hit the weathernetwork.ca for each city and you will have a reasonably accurate forecast (I did say reasonable).

You will see most cities will float between 22 - 30 degrees on average if there is no humidex factor.

Enjoy! Canadians always welcome tourists with open arms and are happy to help. Just ask if you need directions, are lost or want advice.

You might need a light waterproof jacket if Hurricane Chris keeps giving rain, but it's warm, no one melts ;). I work in the garden in the rain, but I'm Canadian ;)

It's summer here. And we do get summer. Assuming you are not going to Newfoundland, no need to layer.

If you are going to Sydney, they may get hit with a cold front from all of the mix of weather, but I am not talking freezing cold, just cooler than normal ;)

It's been very humid here but the storm will knock it out.

Our summers are warm (not FLL temps) but pleasant and warm. Hope this helps and if you need more info, or, if I wasn't clear just ask.

Hit the weathernetwork.ca for each city and you will have a reasonably accurate forecast (I did say reasonable).

You will see most cities will float between 22 - 30 degrees on average if there is no humidex factor.

Enjoy! Canadians always welcome tourists with open arms and are happy to help. Just ask if you need directions, are lost or want advice.

You might need a light waterproof jacket if Hurricane Chris keeps giving rain, but it's warm, no one melts ;). I work in the garden in the rain, but I'm Canadian ;)

Thanks, we are in the Catskills in NY state, so the weather sounds similar.

Actually DW already checked for the temperature each day. But I will know now from your post to take a light jacket.

And Sydney is one of our ports.

Thanks, we are in the Catskills in NY state, so the weather sounds similar.

Actually DW already checked for the temperature each day. But I will know now from your post to take a light jacket.

And Sydney is one of our ports.

Yes, Good idea to bring a light jacket

This is a great itinerary, One of HAL's best short cruises. We did it year after year, b-to-b and loved it.

Gorgeous day in Boston today.

I was on that cruise on the last few days of June. PEI and Sydney were cool and also very windy making them that much cooler. I saw people in all types of dress at those 2 ports, from sandals and shorts - to a Floridian like me - in long pants, and jackets/sweaters. The wind was the worse part for me - temperature wise.

Those 2 were the only really cool days we had. I don't think Montreal and QC were that much warmer - they just didn't have that wind.

Bar Harbor was foggy until about noon. The day before low 60s and rain - we had once [the fog burned off] mid-70s and sunny.

This question reminded me of our 2015 late September early November cruise to Canada on the Eurodam. I looked back on my review from that cruise. I had noted “ One night after we left Prince Edward Island, we hit a storm that was stronger than anticipated. Around 4 AM, glasses went flying off our desk and the ship began to list. We learned that next day that the winds were over 120 miles per hour and the ship listed 7 degrees. Our captain did a great job maneuvering through the storm and keeping us safe. After about 5 hours of heavy seas, things calmed.” You never know...