Need help explaining the "Drinks on Us" and maybe getting an Upgrade Cost

Pharox

Hello everyone,

Sailing on the MSC Seaside on September 29

I had a couple of questions about the "Drinks on Us" package that is given for free. I hear it is very limited and you have to pay a 15% gratuity on every drink ordered at the end of the cruise.

Does anyone know how much it cost to upgrade the drink package? MSC seem to have 2 the all-inclusive classic and all-inclusive deluxe. So what is the cost for each one. I also seem to think if you get these you don't have to pay a 15% gratuity as it is built into the price. Me and my wife are not super heavy drinkers but I am pretty sure at least two of the days we could drink about 6 or 7 drinks throughout the day and night. Maybe 3 or 4 the other days.

Looking for suggestion and the cost as it may actually be cheaper to upgrade than pay the 15% on every drink for us.

Thanks

Chris

From the attached file in the following post, it appears that the only option is to upgrade to the deluxe package:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56511860&postcount=12

The following link compares what's included in the various packages:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Assets/2018%20Drink%20Package%20Comparison%20Guise%20with%20DRINKS%20ON%20US.pdf

be careful with the upgrade we wanted to go from all inclusive to all inclusive deluxe not realising that there would be tax on as well and it put a further 836 euros on our bill and we could still only get certain drinks in certain bars

be careful with the upgrade we wanted to go from all inclusive to all inclusive deluxe not realising that there would be tax on as well and it put a further 836 euros on our bill and we could still only get certain drinks in certain bars

When did you have to pay tax?

When upgrading onboard, you have to pay the 15% service charge (not tax) - this is stated at the bottom of all the information sheets regarding the drinks packages on all the tables in the bars/lounges and on the promotional material that the crew have when they're advertising the packages on embarkation. If you upgrade before sailing, you avoid this extra 15% charge.

I upgraded to the classic on 5 MSC cruises in the US and no tax was charged, just the $18pp per day. Maybe you were charged a tax because you were in Europe? Also, must be different in US about the bars.

OP, well worth it to upgrade at least to the classic since your gratuities are included with that.

Then no clue why she says she was charged tax. I was thinking a VAT tax or something, shows how much I know LOL.

No VAT on MSC cruises. Value Added Tax is included in prices in Europe (unlike sales tax in US where it's added on to the price) so the price you see is the price you pay. Each country has different VAT rates (like different states have different sale tax rates) but they only apply on items purchased in the country you're in - it's never applied on cruise ships (although some people have stated that they've had to pay Spanish tax when onboard in Barcelona or other Spanish ports - something I've never experienced).