CruzRon

Help please! RC capacity limits?

here’s my situation...

We’re going on a big family cruise in 5 weeks on Royal Caribbean Anthem OTS. One of the rooms is a suite with capacity for 4 people. When we booked, one of the children wasn’t likely going to be with us, but we were told we could add him at a later date if he was able to go. (The suite just has 2 adults in it now.)

Now he is available to go, but RC says the cruise is over capacity due to coast guard limits. They say I should call every day to see if anything opens up. I obviously will do so, but has anyone had a similar experience? What are the chances spots open up? I would imagine on a ship with 4000+ guests there must be a decent chance of cancellations, but since there’s no wait list I’m pretty concerned.

Really appreciate any insights! Thanks!

There is a lifeboat capacity for each section of the ship. Once that has been reached, no more passengers can be added regardless of how many available berths there may be. Sorry you learned this the hard way and it should have been explained to you when you booked.

here’s my situation...

We’re going on a big family cruise in 5 weeks on Royal Caribbean Anthem OTS. One of the rooms is a suite with capacity for 4 people. When we booked, one of the children wasn’t likely going to be with us, but we were told we could add him at a later date if he was able to go. (The suite just has 2 adults in it now.)

Now he is available to go, but RC says the cruise is over capacity due to coast guard limits. They say I should call every day to see if anything opens up. I obviously will do so, but has anyone had a similar experience? What are the chances spots open up? I would imagine on a ship with 4000+ guests there must be a decent chance of cancellations, but since there’s no wait list I’m pretty concerned.

Really appreciate any insights! Thanks!

People cancel last minute for various reasons.

In November 2011 we had to miss Adventure in Malaga because my mam died on the morning we were due to embark and we flew home instead.

If you were told you could add someone later by RC I would tell them that as they gave you wrong information.

A Suite could easily take more than 2 adults so can't see a problem and the ship should have more than enough lifeboat seats to satisfy the coast guard.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

In November 2011 we had to miss Adventure in Malaga because my mam died on the morning we were due to embark and we flew home instead.

If you were told you could add someone later by RC I would tell them that as they gave you wrong information.

A Suite could easily take more than 2 adults so can't see a problem and the ship should have more than enough lifeboat seats to satisfy the coast guard.

A ship has a lot more berth than their max. capacity. So while the suite, or any other stateroom might have the capacity to take a 3rd or even 4th passenger, there is no guarantee the ship hasn´t reached their max. capacity.

They put more berth on the ship than the max.capacity, as they account for cabins booked by singles, thus they can fill additional beds. Also suites are usually for more than just two, but most often just booked as doubles.

To make it even more complicated gerif´s point about life boat capacity at muster stations come into play as well.

Thank you and I’m sorry to hear about your mom. I understand the lifeboat capacity and I am hopeful that the limit updates fairly frequently. I have to think that with 4200 passengers the precise number is a moving target and we can get him on there. Does anyone know if availability updates in real time?

I was told that it could open up and I just have to keep checking (though the stressful part is that each time I call it takes a long explanation / conversation to get an answer). Fingers crossed!

Good Luck to you! I would think with being 5 weeks out, something will open up. But it is just hitting that "right" time with the phone call.

This is why many of us advise to initially book someone if there is a chance they will be going. Easier to cancel later if they cannot go.

Thank you and I’m sorry to hear about your mom. I understand the lifeboat capacity and I am hopeful that the limit updates fairly frequently. I have to think that with 4200 passengers the precise number is a moving target and we can get him on there. Does anyone know if availability updates in real time?

I was told that it could open up and I just have to keep checking (though the stressful part is that each time I call it takes a long explanation / conversation to get an answer). Fingers crossed!

Thanks.

An Idea would be to go online regularly and see if you can book a cabin or check unsold cabin sites.

If anything shows ring immediately.

Good luck I hope you are successful.

Thanks.

An Idea would be to go online regularly and see if you can book a cabin or check unsold cabin sites.

If anything shows ring immediately.

Good luck I hope you are successful.

That won’t help.

They are at capacity in their muster area which can also mean that they are only selling cabins for 2 guests in a cabin but not for 3 or 4 guests in a cabin. There’s a difference between the ship being sold out and a muster station being at capacity.

OP, the only way you will know is to call every day. Also since many cancellations happen last minute at the pier (no shows) these last minute cancellations may not help you.

Does anyone know if availability updates in real time?

Of course, on RCI's computers, to which only they have access, hence the need to call them.

Posted (edited)

You might also want to post on your cruise’s roll call. There is always small, small chance somebody on the roll call will be planning/considering canceling a third person in their cabin; maybe you can time your phone calls or such. Worth a shot.

Edit: also a small chance somebody’s cabin mate may not be able to travel now, leaving the remaining person with the decision to pay a large single supplement or cancel. Though your relative would stay with his own family, listin your relative’s name on such a reservation might benefit both parties. Again, a small chance, but worth the time to post on the roll call.

Edited by Starry Eyes

You might also want to post on your cruise’s roll call. There is always small, small chance somebody on the roll call will be planning/considering canceling a third person in their cabin; maybe you can time your phone calls or such. Worth a shot.

Edit: also a small chance somebody’s cabin mate may not be able to travel now, leaving the remaining person with the decision to pay a large single supplement or cancel. Though your relative would stay with his own family, listin your relative’s name on such a reservation might benefit both parties. Again, a small chance, but worth the time to post on the roll call.

Really not much chance because the cancellation would have to be at only the OP's muster station.

Really not much chance because the cancellation would have to be at only the OP's muster station.

Seems most are missing the fact that the cruise is capacity controlled and not sold out.

That won’t help.

They are at capacity in their muster area which can also mean that they are only selling cabins for 2 guests in a cabin but not for 3 or 4 guests in a cabin. There’s a difference between the ship being sold out and a muster station being at capacity.

OP, the only way you will know is to call every day. Also since many cancellations happen last minute at the pier (no shows) these last minute cancellations may not help you.

I would try anything to get what they want.

It only takes a few minutes to check availability.

Some TAs buy blocks of cabins and sell unsold cabins cheap last minute.

I was told they always have a couple of cabins unoccupied on every ship.

Seems most are missing the fact that the cruise is capacity controlled and not sold out.
Let's stay positive for the op.

Are there inside cabins for 2 available? You would have to pay a single supplement. If so you can book that and have him stay in your room. Muster stations would be different as well, so depending on the age of your son, you may have to be in the single room on paper. We have booked the three kids in an inside room before and then had 1 of them stay with us in the suite.

You’re missing the point.

Are there inside cabins for 2 available? You would have to pay a single supplement. If so you can book that and have him stay in your room. Muster stations would be different as well, so depending on the age of your son, you may have to be in the single room on paper. We have booked the three kids in an inside room before and then had 1 of them stay with us in the suite.

Good alternative but does have a potential drawback. Depending on the age of the child one of the adults may have to book the cabin and move the child into the suite which means one adult would not get the suite perks.

The sailing is in 5 weeks. TA’s must release any unfold cabins back to Royal 120 days prior to sailing,

The sailing is in 5 weeks. TA’s must release any unfold cabins back to Royal 120 days prior to sailing,
That's the time for final payments.

If RC told the op he could add someone later IMO they should be doing their best to honour that and if a space opens up it should go to the op.

That's the time for final payments.

If RC told the op he could add someone later IMO they should be doing their best to honour that and if a space opens up it should go to the op.

90 days is final payment date in North America. Unsold group space goes back to Royal at 120 days.

It depends on where that space opens up. If the space opens up in a different muster station there is nothing that Royal can do about that.

While I agree Royal should be held more accountable to what they verbally tell people the reality is they tell people this same thing all the time and other things as well and they never stand by their verbal word.

90 days is final payment date in North America. Unsold group space goes back to Royal at 120 days.

It depends on where that space opens up. If the space opens up in a different muster station there is nothing that Royal can do about that.

While I agree Royal should be held more accountable to what they verbally tell people the reality is they tell people this same thing all the time and other things as well and they never stand by their verbal word.

We have TV cruise channels in the UK where some deals are very near to cruise sailing time.

I have learned something because in 46 cruises on RC,P&O,Sun Cruises, Princess or NCL we never knew beforehand what muster station we had or heard about space being available or not at a specific muster station determining availability.

I have learned something because in 46 cruises on RC,P&O,Sun Cruises, Princess or NCL we never knew beforehand what muster station we had or heard about space being available or not at a specific muster station determining availability.

Most people don’t as it only ever affects people such as the OP who are trying to add an extra guest to the booking close to sail date.

Hubs & I booked a cruise in March while onboard another ship with our kids & grandkids. They tried to book as well.... but got the dreaded (never seen it before ever) no staterooms available for 4 guests message. Called RC & the rep told me he had never seen that before but stated it was a Coast Guard rule. So, they couldn't book it. So, I started looking online EVERY DAY... for two months.…… nothing. THEN on July 4th...they started the sale..... I looked again...still no staterooms for 4.... I checked again the next day...BAM! one was available! We grabbed it. Then I checked the next day...just for grins...same story... no staterooms for 4. So, I guess a cabin just opened up... IDK. But perseverance paid of for us. But 5 weeks out? Slim to none chance I am thinking...…….

OP...maybe try booking a totally different cabin...or give up the suite & get two cabins? Good luck.

That’s possible. Still, it costs nothing to try posting on the roll call. As noted it is a long shot, but stranger things have happened. Who knows...maybe there is somebody on the roll call who wants to keep their current cabin by keeping no-show third on their booking. They might be induced to sub a different name as their third, assuming that person paid some $ and never came to the cabin.

It would be nice to know the kid’s age, but since it is a large family group, adults and kids could potentially be moved among cabins if necessary to avoid rules.

Hubs & I booked a cruise in March while onboard another ship with our kids & grandkids. They tried to book as well.... but got the dreaded (never seen it before ever) no staterooms available for 4 guests message. Called RC & the rep told me he had never seen that before but stated it was a Coast Guard rule. So, they couldn't book it. So, I started looking online EVERY DAY... for two months.…… nothing. THEN on July 4th...they started the sale..... I looked again...still no staterooms for 4.... I checked again the next day...BAM! one was available! We grabbed it. Then I checked the next day...just for grins...same story... no staterooms for 4. So, I guess a cabin just opened up... IDK. But perseverance paid of for us. But 5 weeks out? Slim to none chance I am thinking...…….

OP...maybe try booking a totally different cabin...or give up the suite & get two cabins? Good luck.

At this point I would be very happy to get a second room anywhere on the boat and will do it we need to, either bring a babysitter or have one of the adults in the second room. Really hope that’s a possibility. Thanks for advice, I’m reading all these replies.

At this point I would be very happy to get a second room anywhere on the boat and will do it we need to, either bring a babysitter or have one of the adults in the second room. Really hope that’s a possibility. Thanks for advice, I’m reading all these replies.

Remember about the second room. If one of the adults goes in that room then they won’t qualify for the suite perks even if they are sleeping in the suite. Since you would be basically paying for 2 anyway, bringing along a babysitter is a great idea. Both adults get the perks, your child can sleep with you in the suite, the babysitter gets their own cabin and you a babysitter whenever you need.

Remember about the second room. If one of the adults goes in that room then they won’t qualify for the suite perks even if they are sleeping in the suite. Since you would be basically paying for 2 anyway, bringing along a babysitter is a great idea. Both adults get the perks, your child can sleep with you in the suite, the babysitter gets their own cabin and you a babysitter whenever you need.

Have you guys had experience with this before where it looked completely booked? Anyone have two cents on how likely it is for any interior/outside/balcony room to open up for general booking? I know people can get 50% refund if they cancel 30 days out, So I am hoping that may motivate a few people to change their plans before that mark (which would be this week).

Keep looking. Most cancellations are done before final payment but there may be a few after although most of those may just be no shows at the pier which does not help you. If I were in your shoes I’d be checking 3 times a day.

This same thing happened to my father. He booked a balcony for himself and it was a double cabin. Several weeks before the cruise, he decided to add a friend as he was paying for two people anyway sans port charges and fees.

He called Royal Caribbean as that's where the booking was and was told the same thing. There is no capacity as the life boat serving his cabin was full. They explained that there were other cabins that held 3 or 4 on the same lifeboat and that capacity was reached. He kept checking, but he was never able to add the friend.

I hope your outcome is better, but be prepared to not be able to have your son go on the cruise with you, at least not in the suite.

A number of the Anthem sailings this summer have bumped up against capacity limits. Suspect it might be due to recent kids sail free offers. We're on the 7/26 sailing and several weeks ago there were over 100 balcony cabins and almost 40 js & s still available. All had two passengers limit. Today we're completely sold out.

Too bad they can't throw a couple of Park West folks overboard to make room for op's child.

Too bad they can't throw a couple of Park West folks overboard to make room for op's child.

and pollute the oceans?!

The muster station is set by cabin location and does not change between cruises. Most cruise lines have the muster station number and directions to it on a permanent placard on the cabin door, as well as on your sea pass card.As such you might not know in advance which muster station your cabin is assigned to, but the booking system certainly does and will cap sales when the limit is reached. They will usually assume that all cabins will be sold, and will limit the 3/4 numbers accordingly.

They do not assign someone to a muster station other than that the one determined by cabin.

Anyone have two cents on how likely it is for any interior/outside/balcony room to open up for general booking?

Two things are working against you, sailing in high season and having the cruise industry and RCI in particular doing very well. While the average occupancy rate for all of RCCL is about 110%, some sailings are at 120% - it's really tough to find space this late with those kinds of numbers.

This is why many of us advise to initially book someone if there is a chance they will be going. Easier to cancel later if they cannot go.

Amen! Just because you book a quad doesn't mean 4 people will be allowed to go on the cruise. I've seen some sailings where almost all quads had to be doubles because almost all the triples were filled with 3 people each.

OP here: after much pleading, I got an email back saying that something opened up, and I was able to add him. Whew! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

OP here: after much pleading, I got an email back saying that something opened up, and I was able to add him. Whew! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Great news! Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk