Shuttle in Taillin

Doing some research for our Baltic cruise next spring and was wondering if anyone knows if there are any shuttles from the port to Old Town? Not interested in a HoHo bus. Thanks for any help.

Judy from SW Florida :D:D

Yes, there will be free shuttles to town. Don't bother doing a tour. Save your money and purchase amber and Russian stacking dolls in Estonia. LOTS of shopping. Very safe.

We just returned from a Baltic cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. Celebrity offered a shuttle for a fee - I believe it was $10 to $15. We did not use it. We scheduled a free/pay what you wish walking tour with Saku Tours. We felt it was well worth it and really enjoyed seeing places in old town that we may not have found on our own. The walk from the cruise port to old town is about 10 minutes.

Ncl did not offer a tour. We took a cab from the port to the top of toompea hill. There might also be pedicabs, which can take you on a longer tour of the old town if you wish. You are right about the hoho buses, as they aren’t allowed within parts of the old town.

Ncl did not offer a tour. We took a cab from the port to the top of toompea hill. There might also be pedicabs, which can take you on a longer tour of the old town if you wish. You are right about the hoho buses, as they aren’t allowed within parts of the old town.

Not so sure about pedi-cabs in Tallinn :confused:

But yes, if you elect to take a cab ask the driver to drop you at the highest point in the town and work your way down.

Shuttle-buses (free or payable depending on the cruise line) drop you at the bottom of old-town centre - they can't navigate the steep and twisty streets to the top. Much of old-town, including most shops, cafes & bars, is at the lower level - enough there for a pleasant half-day if you have walking difficulties

Or it's a 15 - 20 minute walk from the ship to the nearest part of old town, a squat tower with the unflattering name of Fat Margaret, and a further 5 - 10 mins to old-town centre. All on level ground.

Yes, ho-hos are a bit pointless

JB :)

We just left port moments ago.....

We took a taxi to the top of Old Town and walked and site saw our way back down to the port.

Streets of Old Town are all cobblestone so keep that in mind if you have difficulty walking or are in need of a wheelchair or stroller (saw folks struggling with those)

Cab ride was a fixed price 20 Euro Rick Steve’s will tell you it’s too much but we sucked it up and paid for the convenience. It was super hot today and my oldest is very heat sensitive so no way should could have made an uphill walk.

Coming down was doable and with all the tall buildings she was able to stay in the shade for the most part.

We just left port moments ago.....

We took a taxi to the top of Old Town ............ Cab ride was a fixed price 20 Euro Rick Steve’s will tell you it’s too much but we sucked it up and paid for the convenience. .

Yes, that's expensive for the distance.

But yes, I'd suck it up too for the convenience and time/energy-saving.

But I'd tout on the ship or on the pier for sharers - €5 per person is much more reasonable.

And I wouldn't tip the guy on top. :p

JB :)

Unless you have mobility issues, it’s not difficult to just walk from the ship to town. As John Bull noted, it’s about 20 minutes from the ship into town via Fat Margaret. (We like saving money and spending calories.)

• Like 1

Unless you have mobility issues, it’s not difficult to just walk from the ship to town. As John Bull noted, it’s about 20 minutes from the ship into town via Fat Margaret. (We like saving money and spending calories.)
This is very true. But often Tallinn is the day before St. Petersburg, so you should bear that in mind when deciding what is best for you. I read a review of a family who spent all day walking around Tallinn, and then their teenagers were tired and refused to get off the ship on day 2 in St. Petersburg. The mom wasn't comfortable leaving them in the kids club by themselves, so she stayed behind too. But for physically fit people, this is a lovely walk both ways, and Tallinn is beautiful and lovely to explore on foot. But I honestly wouldn't push it if you are concerned about your strength (we had a 3 year old so it wasn't up for debate. Without him, we probably easily would have been able to complete the walk).

Same here although I realize that this is not for everyone. :)

This is very true. But often Tallinn is the day before St. Petersburg, so you should bear that in mind when deciding what is best for you. I read a review of a family who spent all day walking around Tallinn, and then their teenagers were tired and refused to get off the ship on day 2 in St. Petersburg. The mom wasn't comfortable leaving them in the kids club by themselves, so she stayed behind too. But for physically fit people, this is a lovely walk both ways, and Tallinn is beautiful and lovely to explore on foot. But I honestly wouldn't push it if you are concerned about your strength (we had a 3 year old so it wasn't up for debate. Without him, we probably easily would have been able to complete the walk).

Totally agree here!!!! We took it easy in Tallin (taxi to top and stroll back)

Thank goodness we just finished two days of touring in SPB and we are exhausted 😩😂

• 5 months later...

I recommend using Uber in Taillin.  It's very inexpensive.  We paid 3.29 euros for a 15 min drive.   We placed Alexander Nevsky Cathedral as a good drop off since it's the highest point in town. That way, our walk back to the ship would be all downhill.  Address is Vene 24, Tallinn 10123, Estonia 

Tallinn Estonia _ Uber.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 4:43 AM, maddocfamilyu said:

We booked an enhanced  guided tour of Tallinn, including Pirita and Kadriorg with Best Guides. They picked us up from the port by a mini bus and after visiting Kadriorg we started walking part of the tour from Toompea Hill.

I know it's been a while since your post, but in your kind opinion, do you think Pirita (I suppose the convent ruins and marina/beach) and Kadiorg (palace and gardens) are worth the visit?

It appears to me that DIY is also possible as Uber is very affordable in Tallinn.

thanks in advance your your assistance ^.^

10 hours ago, ben.chan said:

I know it's been a while since your post, but in your kind opinion, do you think Pirita (I suppose the convent ruins and marina/beach) and Kadiorg (palace and gardens) are worth the visit?

It appears to me that DIY is also possible as Uber is very affordable in Tallinn.

thanks in advance your your assistance ^.^

DIY touring is VERY possible in Tallinn.  That’s how we did it and we had a fabulous time.  Rick Steves has a good self-guided walking tour that you can follow in his guide to Northern European Cruise Ports. 

On 7/18/2018 at 2:05 AM, kitkat343 said:

What, teenagers tired and didn't want to get off the ship, what is this world coming to.

I am 72 and we had no problem walking from the ship to Fat Margret gate and then up the hill, down the hill and all over town also. Then we had the nerve to walk back to the ship, get up early the next couple of days and see St Petersburg.

It is a very easy walk from port to ship and YES, unless you have mobility issues, it should be no problems walking anywhere in Tallinn.

Teenagers tired from walking--WOW.

Cheers

Len

Good information here even though some of it is a little dated.  Our Baltic cruise is August 2019 and, fortunately, our Tallinn day will be after St. Petersburg.  As much as I would be very happy walking (even uphill) my guy has knee problems so it looks like we will be taking an Uber or taxi to the top of the hill.  Can we assume that the €20 taxi fare that was mentioned was from the lower town?  Or was it from the port?

• 1 month later...

Looking at our cruise planner we are not docking in Tallinn but at Muuga to the east of the city, has anyone else docked here. Not walkable to Tallinn.  This is celebrity Silhouette onsailing 30th June

On 1/11/2019 at 7:50 PM, duck60d said:

I recommend using Uber in Taillin.  It's very inexpensive.  We paid 3.29 euros for a 15 min drive.   We placed Alexander Nevsky Cathedral as a good drop off since it's the highest point in town. That way, our walk back to the ship would be all downhill.  Address is Vene 24, Tallinn 10123, Estonia 

Tallinn Estonia _ Uber.jpg

Thank you so much! We will UBER it for sure

• 3 weeks later...

I was advised by a tour operator in Tallinn today that Celebrity always docks in Tallinn and not Muuga as it is a shipping port only and their itineraries are incorrect in that regard. My itinerary on the Reflection sailing August 25 also says Muuga. Does anyone here know what the real deal is? If Muuga, I’m booking a tour due to the distance and lack of public transportation out there. Otherwise we are doing a DIY walking tour..,

On 4/10/2019 at 1:25 PM, cansas.piligrim said:

Muuga is far from Tallinn. Try a local company or book your ship tour.

Unfortunately, the port of Tallinn schedule for cruise ships doesn't show the dock.

https://www.portoftallinn.com/static/files/189.Cruise%20Ship%20Schedule%202019%20-%20Tallinn.pdf

The usual cruise dock has room for 4 ships so when ever there are more than 4 scheduled for the same day, I would expect them to go elsewhere such as Muuga.

23 hours ago, FollowingTheSun said:

Unfortunately, the port of Tallinn schedule for cruise ships doesn't show the dock.

https://www.portoftallinn.com/static/files/189.Cruise%20Ship%20Schedule%202019%20-%20Tallinn.pdf

The usual cruise dock has room for 4 ships so when ever there are more than 4 scheduled for the same day, I would expect them to go elsewhere such as Muuga.

Thanks for the info! It looks like there’s only 3 ships in port September 1 so we should be good.