My packing list. Would you add anything?

bbtbear

I haven't read all 9 pages, but I enjoyed your list! I know some people think it's overpacking... but to me it's part of the fun of a cruise to change into nice clothes for dinner each night and I like being prepared!

For a 7 night cruise I'll have 2 formal dresses and 5 dressy dresses (but not formal), and a casual outfit for each day. I may rewear denim shorts but that's about it. And I don't do laundry on vacation and I'm too cheap to pay for someone else to do it.

We drive so we can bring everything including the kitchen sink. The only thing on your list I don't know about is toilet paper... not sure why you would need that

I haven't read all 9 pages, but I enjoyed your list! I know some people think it's overpacking... but to me it's part of the fun of a cruise to change into nice clothes for dinner each night and I like being prepared!

For a 7 night cruise I'll have 2 formal dresses and 5 dressy dresses (but not formal), and a casual outfit for each day. I may rewear denim shorts but that's about it. And I don't do laundry on vacation and I'm too cheap to pay for someone else to do it.

We drive so we can bring everything including the kitchen sink. The only thing on your list I don't know about is toilet paper... not sure why you would need that

Thanks! The toilet paper was added to have in my bag when off the boat. I've read about some sketchy bathroom facilities in ports and on excursions. It's a tiny roll, not even around a cardboard tube. Whole thing is probably an inch or 2 thick tops. Very small footprint and good to have in bad places lol

For myself, I like to be prepared just in case on excursions. I've been to events in the states where restrooms that normally would be fully stocked will run empty quick if a larger than normal amount of people are there, and could see the same happening in the ports.

Like the OP we have a small roll from camping that doesn't take up space, but someone could just take some from the ship restroom too rather than packing their own.

You pack whatever you feel you might need! After your first cruise, you get a feel for what you do and don't use. My first cruise, I was way over-prepared and over-packed. Had a huge roll-on, medium to large suitcase and a carry-on, just for me. But no one, and I mean no one, in our party lacked or wanted for anything. And I also had a wardrobe list that included four outfits per day with matching jewelry and shoes. I was excited! And I'm super-organized and a bit OCD, so it all had to be perfect.

HOWEVER, after that first cruise, I whittled that list down further and further with each cruise. To the point where all I bring now fits in a small to medium suitcase and tote carryon. (And I'm working on getting it reduced even more.)

Would I go back now and change what I took the first cruise? Nope, not at all. I needed to bring what I felt secure bringing. Now, my goal is to travel light and I'm comfortable with that. As long as you're not over the limit for your flight, I say bring it all. And, hopefully, there will be a next cruise for you and your sister and, with this cruise, you'll find out for yourself what you don't need to bring on the next one.

Have a GREAT trip! :)

lol I'm looking to see if I can cruise with an underseat roll on and a tote

I currently cruise with a 21 inch and tote but I hate it when the airlines force me to gate check it as I'm usually zone 7 of course I always beg the attendant to be sure it gets in the hole and last trip the attendant saw my anxiety and said she would make sure it did as she could see it go in.

It's not that I'm looking to travel with less luggage it's that I WANT to never let it out of my sight. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm a backpack carryon kind of traveler but I love to make packing list and I loved seeing yours (thank you for sharing), especially the medical kit. I get motion sickness, and I pack mostly everything you have on your list except a thermometer. The infirmary on the ship is very expensive so I like to make sure I have everything just in case. Nothing worse than allergies bringing me down on vacation. Also, even though people say you can just buy what you need when you get there, I like to have the brand of item I want - if that makes sense. example, I'm picky about my ingredients in my SPF, so it's easier for me to bring exactly what I want then settle for something at the closest CVS or something. Plus I want to spend my time exploring the destination rather than shopping for personal toiletries. Can I also add, I just added a travel size Poo-pourri to my packing list and I've very excited about it.

The category that always ruins my packing is the rain gear. I packed a rain jacket, rain boots, and umbrella on a cruise one time during hurricane season and of course, it didn't rain at all.

My sister and I travel a lot together and we love to plan early. And when you find someone who is just as excited about your vacation as you are, even if it's a year or a month away, it is just that much more fun. We like to use Travefy to plan our trips together.

Since you mentioned a Western Caribbean destination, you might to consider an underwater camera. I like to bring my husband's go pro and waterproof case for snorkeling. Also, maybe a small tripod if it's just you two? i guess it depends on your camera. I have an canon with a flip screen that I love.

also, what's a lock bag? my sister told me to pack a lock on our next trip. wondering if this is a good sub b/c a lock is super heavy.

i would be interested in knowing what's in the makeup cube too. care to share?

Great list!

Hi,

I read your post and I LOVE how organized you have it !!! A person after my own heart !! I just ordered some more Packing Cubes last night LOL LOL LOL

I have been on 15 cruises, and YES I am one of those that ( since I fly Southwest) has 2 suitcases...with those wheels on my suitcases they flow right along...

I also like to be prepared... I always use the over the door shoe holder, keeps everything handy and easy to get to... I bring 3 cover-ups :) used Duct tape several times..:)

Nothing wrong with you bringing what you feel makes your packing complete.

Your sister is so Lucky to have you Planning such a thoughtful trip..

Enjoy and have fun !!

I also bring door Decorations , get them at the dollar store fun, fun, fun

and you can spot your room easy..:)

For what it's worth, I wanted my sister to feel like she had everything she needs, no matter what. She and I lost both our dad and our stepdad this spring. When they both had cancer and were very sick, she and I started planning this cruise so we would have something to look forward to together. So, yeah, I've put a lot of thought into it. And maybe I've gone overboard. It has been an escape and a labor of love. If you don't like the list, be helpful and suggest what you wouldn't take on it. Don't just be mean.

I am sorry for your losses and understand the additional stress this has caused you.

Since this is your first, but very important cruise for you and your sister, take along anything you desire. I don't think previous responses were done to insult or make fun of you. After you have taken your first cruise you will find out what most of us found out after our first cruise: every first time cruiser over packs and takes too much "stuff." I would simply review your current list and only take, particularly items, that you ABSOLUTELY couldn't go 7 days without. Additionally, Carnival is generally very causal and absolutely one one will notice if you wear the same outfit more than once, or even twice. Although I am a male, I have never had to do laundry on a 7 day cruise (which is actually only really 6) and only laundry once on a 17 day cruise.

After trimming down what you're going to take, just enjoy the anticipation and actual cruise itself.

My first cruise list was probably longer than yours. Packed it all in "2" 30" suitcases plus a carryon. At that time, it also included a very dressy long dress and short dress for formal nights. Ugh. Thank goodness I don't do that anymore. I have been on many cruises since then, and everything I need (excluding any formal ware) fits in a medium size suitcase. (I know, there will be people who pack in a carryon only) . Coordinate your clothes, approximately 3 colors, I usually do black, white and red with accessories to change your look. Bring comfortable shoes, daytime, nighttime and pool time and as you will be in New Orleans also, pack sneakers, socks.. I suggest around 2 pc jeans, 2 pc capris and 2 evening wear slacks with appropriate shirts and tops. I wear simple jewelry , plus a faux necklace or two. Keep any good jewelry at home. Pack a small travel clock, multi charger, magnetic hooks and clips to attach to wall. to hang hat, or keep papers together. Also a couple of clothespins to hang wet bathing suits in bathroom , Anyway, thats just a sampling , no matter what you decide to pack, the main thing is, for you and your sister to have the time of your lives. Have a wonderful cruise and vacation.

There are restrictions with some of the airlines and some of the cruise lines. One that I see on your list is a power strip. Saw a number of them confiscated / sitting in the x-ray scanning area as people tried to carry them on, This was on the June cruise with Celebrity/Royal Caribbean.

I'm a backpack carryon kind of traveler but I love to make packing list and I loved seeing yours (thank you for sharing), especially the medical kit. I get motion sickness, and I pack mostly everything you have on your list except a thermometer. The infirmary on the ship is very expensive so I like to make sure I have everything just in case. Nothing worse than allergies bringing me down on vacation. Also, even though people say you can just buy what you need when you get there, I like to have the brand of item I want - if that makes sense. example, I'm picky about my ingredients in my SPF, so it's easier for me to bring exactly what I want then settle for something at the closest CVS or something. Plus I want to spend my time exploring the destination rather than shopping for personal toiletries. Can I also add, I just added a travel size Poo-pourri to my packing list and I've very excited about it.

The category that always ruins my packing is the rain gear. I packed a rain jacket, rain boots, and umbrella on a cruise one time during hurricane season and of course, it didn't rain at all.

My sister and I travel a lot together and we love to plan early. And when you find someone who is just as excited about your vacation as you are, even if it's a year or a month away, it is just that much more fun. We like to use Travefy to plan our trips together.

Since you mentioned a Western Caribbean destination, you might to consider an underwater camera. I like to bring my husband's go pro and waterproof case for snorkeling. Also, maybe a small tripod if it's just you two? i guess it depends on your camera. I have an canon with a flip screen that I love.

also, what's a lock bag? my sister told me to pack a lock on our next trip. wondering if this is a good sub b/c a lock is super heavy.

i would be interested in knowing what's in the makeup cube too. care to share?

Great list!

Loved your reply. Put a smile on my face. :) thanks for your suggestions. The lock bag is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Y3579R/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a small bag you can lock to a deck chair or similar with your wallet, etc. inside so if someone wanted to steal it they'd have to take the whole chair. lol!

Hi,

I read your post and I LOVE how organized you have it !!! A person after my own heart !! I just ordered some more Packing Cubes last night LOL LOL LOL

I have been on 15 cruises, and YES I am one of those that ( since I fly Southwest) has 2 suitcases...with those wheels on my suitcases they flow right along...

I also like to be prepared... I always use the over the door shoe holder, keeps everything handy and easy to get to... I bring 3 cover-ups :) used Duct tape several times..:)

Nothing wrong with you bringing what you feel makes your packing complete.

Your sister is so Lucky to have you Planning such a thoughtful trip..

Enjoy and have fun !!

I also bring door Decorations , get them at the dollar store fun, fun, fun

and you can spot your room easy..:)

Thanks so much! I'm flying Southwest, too, so the luggage is no problem. :)

I am sorry for your losses and understand the additional stress this has caused you.

Since this is your first, but very important cruise for you and your sister, take along anything you desire. I don't think previous responses were done to insult or make fun of you. After you have taken your first cruise you will find out what most of us found out after our first cruise: every first time cruiser over packs and takes too much "stuff." I would simply review your current list and only take, particularly items, that you ABSOLUTELY couldn't go 7 days without. Additionally, Carnival is generally very causal and absolutely one one will notice if you wear the same outfit more than once, or even twice. Although I am a male, I have never had to do laundry on a 7 day cruise (which is actually only really 6) and only laundry once on a 17 day cruise.

After trimming down what you're going to take, just enjoy the anticipation and actual cruise itself.

Thanks a bunch for your response. We're actually packing for a 14 day vacation, not just the 7 day cruise, so doing a little laundry before we get off the boat will be a big help to stretch the wardrobe out. I don't mind overpacking. I'd rather be over prepared than underprepared for this particular vacation. :)

My first cruise list was probably longer than yours. Packed it all in "2" 30" suitcases plus a carryon. At that time, it also included a very dressy long dress and short dress for formal nights. Ugh. Thank goodness I don't do that anymore. I have been on many cruises since then, and everything I need (excluding any formal ware) fits in a medium size suitcase. (I know, there will be people who pack in a carryon only) . Coordinate your clothes, approximately 3 colors, I usually do black, white and red with accessories to change your look. Bring comfortable shoes, daytime, nighttime and pool time and as you will be in New Orleans also, pack sneakers, socks.. I suggest around 2 pc jeans, 2 pc capris and 2 evening wear slacks with appropriate shirts and tops. I wear simple jewelry , plus a faux necklace or two. Keep any good jewelry at home. Pack a small travel clock, multi charger, magnetic hooks and clips to attach to wall. to hang hat, or keep papers together. Also a couple of clothespins to hang wet bathing suits in bathroom , Anyway, thats just a sampling , no matter what you decide to pack, the main thing is, for you and your sister to have the time of your lives. Have a wonderful cruise and vacation.

Thanks for your tips! Coordinating the wardrobe around a color theme is a great idea. Since we'll be heading to Mardis Gras after the cruise, I see a lot of green, purple, and yellow in my future lol

There are restrictions with some of the airlines and some of the cruise lines. One that I see on your list is a power strip. Saw a number of them confiscated / sitting in the x-ray scanning area as people tried to carry them on, This was on the June cruise with Celebrity/Royal Caribbean.

Thanks! I made sure to specifically purchase a power strip that does not have a surge protector, which seems to be the issue. Surge protectors aren't allowed, but plain power strips should be ok. If they take it... well... ::shrug:: We'll be juggling chargers and make do. :)

This entire process seems like a lot of work and worry to me.

Why not simply pack and then make do with what you have? Surely one does not have to pack for every natural disaster and malady known to mankind.

This cruise is only for a very short period. It is not as though you are emigrating to another country. Packing and travel is only as hard as one makes it.

This entire process seems like a lot of work and worry to me.

Why not simply pack and then make do with what you have? Surely one does not have to pack for every natural disaster and malady known to mankind.

This cruise is only for a very short period. It is not as though you are emigrating to another country. Packing and travel is only as hard as one makes it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm traveling for a long period, actually. 15 days total. The cruise is only part of the vacation and involves land and sea portions. And I have reasons for being extremely thorough. This is not just any vacation for me. I don't know if you read the whole thread and it doesn't matter. I'm pleased with where my list has come out. I'm glad your approach makes you happy, as well.

The cruise is only part of the vacation and involves land and sea portions. And I have reasons for being extremely thorough

There is plenty of room under the beds. Pack land portion separate and throw it under the bed, cabins not big enough to unpack all of it.

We travel for two months at time,sometimes more. Land with cruises sometimes mixed in. Twice a year. With carry on only. We have been doing it for six years. Cannot imagine sweating this issue so long and so hard. DW can be packed in an hour or less. Me? Twenty minutes tops.

Bottom line....the more you take the more you have to worry and prepare. And the more you worry and prepare the more items you pack that never really see the light of day.

Worrying and sweating the small stuff is not good for your health!

Edited by iancal

Take whatever you and your sister are comfortable with it is your cruise sure you may have a lot but you will learn from this cruise what you did not use you don’t take on the next one.

I use to take a bigger suitcase but I have learn after 7 cruises my 21 inch and a carry on bag is all I need I always roll my clothes for more room

Have a wonderful cruise when your cruise comes around