Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

Crystal yacht expedition cruises to announce crystal endeavor’s itineraries july 31

There is additional detail on the Crystal Cruises website including diagrams for each of the categories. This link will take you to the diagrams for the suites.

https://crystalexpeditioncruises.com/yacht/suites/

You can scroll down and click on a diagram to get a larger view of it.

Keep in mind that these are the inaugural voyages when it comes to pricing. At the same time I suspect sales will be strong given the new vessel and the very interesting itineraries.

Keith

There is additional detail on the Crystal Cruises website including diagrams for each of the categories. This link will take you to the diagrams for the suites.

https://crystalexpeditioncruises.com/yacht/suites/

You can scroll down and click on a diagram to get a larger view of it.

Keep in mind that these are the inaugural voyages when it comes to pricing. At the same time I suspect sales will be strong given the new vessel and the very interesting itineraries.

Keith

Not that I have any interest in this endeavour whatsoever, but it's nice to look at the pictures however, have the suites shrunk in the shipyard?? I seem to recall the minimum size of suites being announced as 400sq.ft. with others increasing upwards to two top level suites which would be bigger than my modest little townhouse!!! The 'standard' suites now seem to be only a little larger than the current ocean ship staterooms (and smaller than a PH on Symphony)….

Anne...

When first announced it mentioned 400 square feet including balcony.

I am not sure whether the numbers noted on the web site include a balcony or not. If they don't then the size of the interior might be consistent to what was originally announced. More recently a few months ago when Crystal Cruises shared more details they said 304 square feet for the smaller of the suites.

Since Crystal Cruises monitors this board hopefully they could provide more details on whether or not the sizes on the Crystal Cruises website include the square footage of the verandahs.

Keith

Expedition Suite average per day is $6,091, but you can't reserve that because I already booked it for the entire inaugural season.

This was very selfish of you, Drib. Apparently you are doing very well with the subscription fees you charge for your very useful fare monitoring program. :)

By the way the voyages have been added to the normal web site - cruise ship calendar section - it links you to the expedition site but those cruises are now listed - doesn't have all the fares and total information but trips are now available in "normal" way

I think the ship looks great. Very appealing and nicely done. It is interesting to see the finished product and compare to the original renderings. Sort of like the riverboats, the finished product is almost nothing like the first renderings we have seen. Increasingly this is becoming more uncommon, as most cruise companies release pretty accurate renderings of what their new ships will look like. With CGI sometimes it's difficult to tell it's even a rendering. Perhaps Crystal was a bit premature in releasing renderings, or the originals were just not feasible?

First Rendering:

43228622934_95228306cd_o.png

Midstage Rendering:

43228622784_caaba25394_o.png

Final Rendering:

43228623244_22ceaa6837_o.png

By the way the voyages have been added to the normal web site - cruise ship calendar section - it links you to the expedition site but those cruises are now listed - doesn't have all the fares and total information but trips are now available in "normal" way

Jonathan, good catch.

These links should take people to 2020 and 2021 Endeavor Inaugural Voyages. They show the base prices only from what I can say and assume that will stay like that at least for the near terms while open to those in Crystal Society.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/travel-calendar?year=2020&ship=Crystal%20Endeavor

http://www.crystalcruises.com/travel-calendar?year=2021&ship=Crystal%20Endeavor

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

When first announced it mentioned 400 square feet including balcony.

... I am not sure whether the numbers noted on the web site include a balcony or not. If they don't then the size of the interior might be consistent to what was originally announced. More recently a few months ago when Crystal Cruises shared more details they said 304 square feet for the smaller of the suites.

It's like bacon cooking.

This was very selfish of you, Drib. Apparently you are doing very well with the subscription fees you charge for your very useful fare monitoring program. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Well, you won't actually know how well I'm doing until you see the indictment.

Observer, take note that there are a lot of new selectors in fare compare, and they will now all be remembered if you just change cabin category, for example. And you should bookmark that page because I don't do any SEO there, and I am not renewing my old domain, where I did.

Finally, note that I had to cancel the Expedition Suite as it turns out that the Owner Suite is, in fact, larger. Both Suites, though, are forward, making their balconies useless a lot of the time. I understand why they do this - Regent did it with the Regent Suite too - but give me a large balcony in an aft suite any day.

Can we use a Crystal Society milestone free cruise award on the Endeavor (or the river boats for that matter)?

Can we use a Crystal Society milestone free cruise award on the Endeavor (or the river boats for that matter)?

I was told that they can't be used for either of the Yacht or River Cruise Vessels.

Keith

I was told that they can't be used for either of the Yacht or River Cruise Vessels.

Keith

Thx.

Well has anyone booked and made the rest of us jealous

We were mildly interested in one of the Antarctic cruises when the itinerary was first released. Once the detailed pricing came out we had a hard time justifying 40% more for 22 days in a PS than we are paying for 35 days in a PS on Serenity in 2019!! Maybe once the rest of the 2021 itineraries are released we will have another look. Hopefully saner prices might actually prevail by then.

We would be interested in doing Antarctica but not for 22 days at those prices. We can stomach the price per day but for us to be able to do it we would need it to be a shorter itinerary. I am hoping that prices will settle somewhat over the next year or so and that they decide to include shorter itineraries to Antarctica. I don't know many people who could do a 22 day journey - hard if you're still working and expensive (for most) if you're not.

All, I am not sure what the prices will be like in the future. In the end demand will be part of the equation. I thought I would share some pricing I just saw from another cruise line.

I was looking at Silversea only because coincidentally I got an e-mail from them about some of their Arctic exploration sailings. Normally I would have deleted it but with Endeavor on my mind I took a look at the itinerary they are featuring.

They have an 18 day Antarctica Cruise with fares starting at $32,220.00 on Silver Explorer. That is in rooms of 157 to 167 square feet with a two portholes. It's not apples to apples because starting/ending ports different as well as a few others and Silversea's includes transfers and a hotel but Crystal's has larger rooms and a longer itinerary. It's 18 days whereas Crystal's is 22 days. Crystal's starts at $32,449.00.

IMHO it's just totally different than Ocean Voyages so I haven't been comparing the per diem prices to the Ocean Vessels. I haven't done that with other things such as River Cruises. Unlike Ocean Voyages there will be very little additional on board revenue as excursions are included, and limited areas that bring in revenue compared to the ocean vessels.

Inaugural voyages have traditionally have been higher priced but in time we'll see what an expanded list of pricing and voyages looks like when Crystal is ready to release those. Also newer ships tend to have higher pricing.

I believe the longer journeys such as Antarctica will attract those who are retired and also those who arrange with work to get a longer holiday. That was our experience with the NWP which was a longer voyage. There was a greater number of people who were working than I expected on the 2016 NWP voyage who made special arrangements at work to get the time off. Some had never taken a cruise. Others maybe a couple of them and maybe the longest ranging from 7 to 12 days. They didn't view it as a cruise but as an opportunity to see many unique places. I think some will see this similarly.

Shiriin, it will be interesting to see if in the future some of the voyages of Antarctica will be shorter to appeal to those who have limited time to take off from work and also to have an overall lower fare price with the shorter duration.

The ones that Silversea offered ranged from 10 to 18 days and I believe were all round trip Ushuaia. They are doing these on two different vessels.

As they say, time will tell.

Keith

They have an 18 day Antarctica Cruise with fares starting at $32,220.00 on Silver Explorer. That is in rooms of 157 to 167 square feet with a two portholes. It's not apples to apples because starting/ending ports different as well as a few others and Silversea's includes transfers and a hotel but Crystal's has larger rooms and a longer itinerary. It's 18 days whereas Crystal's is 22 days. Crystal's starts at $32,449.00.

Keith

That's not strictly true. I got the same email and if you look again you will see the 157 - 167 sq.ft. suites are listed as being sold out on the January Silver Explorer sailing however, they are still available on the December sailing at the rate of $22,400. The $33,200 fare you quoted is for the larger View suites (192sq.ft.) on the January sailing and they have a window not portholes…. Plus, those are for 2018/2019 sailings, the fares for the more advance dates (i.e. 2019/2020) are considerably lower than those quoted above...

Personally, I wouldn't consider either of them at those per diem fares however, I accept that there are those who will. Just out of idle curiosity I had one of the Antarctic cruises quoted and with that fare I could take one of the 84/85 day World Cruises on the Serenity!!! Hopefully, the Serenity and the Symphony will remain in service long enough for those of us who are happy to explore the world onboard slightly aged ocean ships to continue to do so...:):)

Anne..

Thanks for clarifying Anne. I think they could have made their pricing clearer. Admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time looking at all the details and as I mentioned if this thread wasn't on my mind I would have just deleted the e-mail. I didn't look at all their future voyages in the out years as they didn't show up when I first clicked on the link provided in their e-mail. I know when it comes to their Ocean Vessel voyages that at times there can be big swings on the same voyage in terms of pricing as we experienced when we sailed them in 2016.

OK I got it. So it is the 192 square foot room available on Explorer for $33,200 rather than 157 to 167 square feet. I think my point is that it's not totally apples to apples with Endeavor (I have never seen one even with ocean vessels that is totally apples to apples) but it doesn't change the points I made IMHO. Complicating the apples to apples are the itineraries, the amenities and even the ships. I believe Explorer was originally launched in 1989 and I know that Silver Cloud Expedition was originally the SIlver Cloud (before it was reconfigured) and the original Cloud was launched in 1993.

I agree about Symphony and Serenity and I almost mentioned that. There have been times when some have been very critical about Crystal not having new ocean vessels and while I would like to see one sooner rather than later I often think "be careful what one wishes for" because new vessels normally come with a higher per diem rate for several reasons. I am reminded that when Serenity came out and Harmony was still in the fleet along with Symphony that there was quite a price differential between Serenity and Harmony/Symphony. At the same time Endeavor will likely be a very different experience than Symphony and Serenity because of its design, and it will allow for visits to a number of places that are not part of the ocean vessels itineraries but certainly at a high per diem price.

Good to have choices across Crystal and across a wide section of companies that offer various types of cruises.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

So, if I read correctly, none of the regulars here have booked yet. May not be a good sign. The cruises and the ship look great but the prices are making people think about it. Maybe worth the price but definitely not one of those just do it without careful thought.

Jonathan I know of several people who have booked and I think they are selling well. Also some people may have holds on some of the voyages and are thinking it through. I wouldn’t put a whole lot on people not responding. I also believe that many who do book it are not members of CC.

Likewise I don’t see a lot of posts on the River Cruise board or even about Esprit but both seem to be doing well.

Keith

We would be interested in doing Antarctica but not for 22 days at those prices. We can stomach the price per day but for us to be able to do it we would need it to be a shorter itinerary. I am hoping that prices will settle somewhat over the next year or so and that they decide to include shorter itineraries to Antarctica. I don't know many people who could do a 22 day journey - hard if you're still working and expensive (for most) if you're not.

The one thing to remember is the length has a lot to do with the starting/ending points. From Ushuaia to Antarctica is the shortest route and takes about a day and half. Endeavor is leaving from a point further north than Ushuaia and going to a point in Antarctica much further south. If you look at the detailed itinerary, 9 of those 22 days are sea days, including one stretch of four consecutive. I can tell you from experience that many days in a row can get monotonous, even on Crystal, when you can't use the outer decks or your balcony, as will probably be the case due to the weather/temperature.

Like most things varies by voyage and what category you are looking at. :D

I don't see where anyone said they are selling like hot cakes but we have several friends who have put down deposits.

This has only been open one week and it hasn't even been opened to the general public.

Certainly won't sell out overnight or in weeks or in a blink of an eye.

Keith

The suites are still available and we considered doing it but we have been to Antarctica four times on Crystal need to do another itinerary that would interest us. Change is good.