Do large groups eat at the same table in MDR?

We’re sailing on the Allure and we’re sailing with a group of 14. We have traditional late seating for dinner. Would they put us all at one table to eat? Would they separate us? Just curious how dining would work with such a large group.

I really don't know but you might find a smaller table to be a better option. The MDR is often crowded and very noisy. Some have reported that conversations at large tables are very difficult and suggested two or more smaller tables where people rotated between tables worked better.

We’re sailing on the Allure and we’re sailing with a group of 14. We have traditional late seating for dinner. Would they put us all at one table to eat? Would they separate us? Just curious how dining would work with such a large group.

Hi there. One table for 14 would be too large for the dining room. The biggest I have seen is 12 with maybe a toddler squeezed in there. I know you want to all be together, so my advice is to be set up at two tables for 8 next to each other, and rotate around each evening. It's too hard to talk (if not impossible) at a huge table for 12 so two smaller tables would serve you well. This way you can talk with others each night and enjoy their company. :)

Have a great cruise.

Several years back we sailed with a group of 8 couples. We were able to request 2 side by side tables of 8. It worked out beautifully. We switched the seating around each night. One night the ladies sat together other nights we just made sure to sit with different couples than the night before. By the end of the cruise we had plenty of conversation with all of the other members of the group.

I don’t know who all is s traveling with you but just check in at the dining room when you board and they should work with you.

unless several are young kids, it is unlikely that you will all fit at one table comfortably. I believe the max size is a 12 top.

you might end up at 2 tables of 8 in close proximity.

Even when large tables are available I strongly prefer getting two tables next to each other. A table for 10, 12, or 14 makes it really hard to have conversations and just feels awkward imo. Our next group cruise we have 12 people going and requested two 6 tops next to each other, and we'll rotate around.

Our group of 21 was broken down to one table of 14 and one table of 7. So yes, I believe you would be able to get a table for 14. Just let them know in advance of the first night that you are all together. You can all go together the afternoon of embarkation and let them know, if you aren't able to link the reservations in advance.

Are all of you under one reservation? If not, have you linked your reservations? Otherwise, if they don't know you are a group, you could all be in separate area

We’re all under different ressies although we booked as a group through the TA (if that makes sense). I think that we should talk to the maître d once we board. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have 14 going in a few weeks and have been given a large oval table at the bottom of the staircase that fits 14. Email RCLDining@rccl.com a few weeks before your cruise. They even emailed me a photo of the dining room pointing out our table.

Great suggestion. I will email them. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your all booked through one TA, this will make it much easier for the TA to link all your reservations, vs some of you booked with a different TA or through the cruise line. I linked two couples with our TA and the other two couples are booked with their own so it was suggested each couple also link up even though my TA has linked us using their booking #'s. We are doing MTD so will all meet up at boarding to make sure we will be seated together.

• 3 months later...

Our group of 10 sailed on Harmony last Feb.    They had a few wonderful tables for 10 available in the MDR.    About halfway back in the dining room, on either side, right in front of the license plate USA.   Well shaped, and we were all able to converse and have a good time.     The was also a large table of 12 next to us.   Several kids in the bunch, and it looked like they put two tables together.   For 14, I like what others have suggested...two tables of 7, or and 8 & 6, right next to each other.

Here's my gang on Harmony last year...

Image may contain: 10 people, including Larry Giusti, Mikie Frost Giusti, Ken Bozick, Vickie Bozick and Laurie Dzurko, people smiling, people sitting, table and indoor

Edited by zdad59

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, Nickles said:

On Liberty last year we had a group of 50 friends on the sailing.  I sent a email to rccldinning with the names and reservation numbers and we were placed in our own corner of the dinning room.  10 or 12 tops are the biggest tables they have.