"Free Perks" are not free

JackN

Let me begin by saying I love Celebrity Cruises, so this is not a complaint, but relaying some interesting information that I think will help folks make a more informed decision when deciding on selection of "Free" Perks. After 19 cruises, I considered myself to be a very informed cruiser. But when booking our most recent Celebrity cruise I was surprised to find when I declined the "Free Perks" on the Celebrity web site reservation page, the cost of our cruise went down $250 per person. The two free perks we had chosen were gratuities and the classic beverage package. Even paying the $200 gratuities on a 7-day cruise, that left us with $300 to spend on board to reach the cost of the free beverage package. With the luxury of the Elite cocktail hour each night and four ports on the cruise, paying for the two free perks made no sense for this cruise. On longer cruises with more sea days, the beverage package remains a great perk.

I always figured the cost of the free perks were somehow worked into the cruise price to a certain degree, but was very surprised they were worked into the cruise fare to this degree. A representative on the future cruise desk on board did confirm for us that there is a cost charged to the passenger for each "free perk" they select for their cruise. So to perfectly clear, the "free perks" should be referred to as "discounted perks", which are still a good value. Again not a complaint but something to consider when booking your cruise.

You are absolutely correct, one when booking, needs to take this into consideration and go by the numbers of booking with perks or without perks.

Then decide which price is the best, if not better, for the selected sailing.

bon voyage

Not sure anyone thought they were free. On our upcoming cruise the cost of our trip with perks was exactly the same as the same trip without perks included but added during booking. So for 2 perks it was $600 total for the 2 of us.

I took $300 OBC and the beverage package. This is a 10 day trip so the OBC basically covers the gratuities. This left $300 for the beverage package. That's $15 a day pp. Not free but not a bad deal. I can drink that just in good coffee - lol

You just need to watch the prices and play around a bit.

enjoy

We have known this all along and only take the perk if it works out to our advantage over booking without perks.

Why didn't you take the $300 OBC? That's $150 per person. So that leaves you with $100, right? To pay $100 per person for a drink package is worth it in my opinion and this is from someone who rarely pays the extra for perks.

We had the same thing happen...but the explanation I received was that you can't combine the free perks with a resident discount. We lost our resident discount of $250 pp and paid full fare to receive the beverage package and $150 OBC pp (for first two passengers).

Let me begin by saying I love Celebrity Cruises, so this is not a complaint, but relaying some interesting information that I think will help folks make a more informed decision when deciding on selection of "Free" Perks. After 19 cruises, I considered myself to be a very informed cruiser. But when booking our most recent Celebrity cruise I was surprised to find when I declined the "Free Perks" on the Celebrity web site reservation page, the cost of our cruise went down $250 per person. The two free perks we had chosen were gratuities and the classic beverage package. Even paying the $200 gratuities on a 7-day cruise, that left us with $300 to spend on board to reach the cost of the free beverage package. With the luxury of the Elite cocktail hour each night and four ports on the cruise, paying for the two free perks made no sense for this cruise. On longer cruises with more sea days, the beverage package remains a great perk.

I always figured the cost of the free perks were somehow worked into the cruise price to a certain degree, but was very surprised they were worked into the cruise fare to this degree. A representative on the future cruise desk on board did confirm for us that there is a cost charged to the passenger for each "free perk" they select for their cruise. So to perfectly clear, the "free perks" should be referred to as "discounted perks", which are still a good value. Again not a complaint but something to consider when booking your cruise.

If you want to take it one step further check pricing on the August 11 sailing on the Equinox. Right now, all categories in balconys (2D-1A) are the same price $749 p.p. with no perks. If you choose a guarantee, the cost of one free perk is $200 p.p. But if you choose your own cabin the free perk now cost $280 p.p. They are targeting the drinkers because paying that for the $150 p.p. obc or the prepaid gratuities ($101.50 p.p.) is stupid. Or, the elderly who think because it's offered it must be a good deal.

If you are on a 7 day cruise cost for a classic package is $385 per person for a 670 total. Gratuities for 2 for 7 days around 200. yu are saving NOTHING by going without!Check ur math toots!

If you are on a 7 day cruise cost for a classic package is $385 per person for a 670 total. Gratuities for 2 for 7 days around 200. yu are saving NOTHING by going without!Check ur math toots!

Better check your math tools, to most people 385 x 2 is 770 not 670.

This is nothing new; and while the information is good to know for first timers, I'm surprised it took you 19 cruises to find this out.

Been cruising for 20 years...perks are a recent option. The past years when we accepted the perks it was a great value. On this cruise even without the pkg, with 4 sea days we were not going to spend $300 drinking without the drink package. And since the classic package does not include drinks above $9, which rules out the martini bar, we would upgrade to premium anyway. I read a recent cruise critic article on perks and none of the comments mentioned the actual cost of the perks so I thought I would pass along.

Jack

The question is will two people spend $770 drinking on a seven day cruise without the package. On this one we would not have come close.

We usually make out better with the beverage package and if / when a second perk is offered, we either take the gratuities or the $300 obc depending on the length of the cruise. Once, last year, they threw in the go best perks and didn’t raise the price of the cruise much so that was really fantastic.

However, sometimes, we just want to be on a cruise and if it doesn’t fit into our budget ... we’ll even choose an inside cabin. On princess, they only have the sip and sail promo available once a year and we found we did much better booking with a non-refundable deposit and no beverage package. I think we saved over $1200 for a ten night cruise by choosing that option. I do love having the beverage package but on that line, it just wasn’t worth the extra coast for us.

Or, the elderly who think because it's offered it must be a good deal.

That is a totally offensive statement. Why do you assume that just because someone is in the elderly group they have lost all ability to reason? Very disrespectful!!!

Why would you think they were free - just because Celebrity are calling them "perks"?

Total cruise price with or without perks is what make sense for each individual.

That is a totally offensive statement. Why do you assume that just because someone is in the elderly group they have lost all ability to reason? Very disrespectful!!!

I consider myself elderly and just stating an observation. I wasn't inferring the ability to reason just that most are very gullible because they can't believe that a company, or a person, would do something like that to anybody. I can recite chapter and verse on how many of our friends have been taken advantage of because of this.

It's a well known fact about all the scams aimed at the elderly this is just another one.

Why would you think they were free - just because Celebrity are calling them "perks"?

Total cruise price with or without perks is what make sense for each individual.

Well, when I booked our upcoming cruise, it was choose two "Free" perks, so by using the word FREE in their wording, I was under the assumption that they were actually FREE. Silly me.

Now this is the first time I have booked Celebrity, but I am not a novice cruiser by any means. I did get a great rate, got my two "free" perks, which for our 11 nights cruise, is a great bargain, and when prices went down, I was able to get an Aqua Suite for $100 more per person, and then my travel agent upped our shipboard credit too.

So I'm good, but it did say FREE, and they were NOT free. Misleading. But again, a good deal for us none the less.

An important note: the price difference does not apply to Suites. The price does not change whether you select the Go Best perks or not. You may get a better price without perks from a TA but the Celebrity site does not give you a choice. I was looking at a cruise next August and 1st selected "No Thanks" and the price was $8,400 for a Celebrity suite. I got out and came back in and acccepted the "complimentary" Go Best and the price was also $8,400.

An important note: the price difference does not apply to Suites. The price does not change whether you select the Go Best perks or not. You may get a better price without perks from a TA but the Celebrity site does not give you a choice. I was looking at a cruise next August and 1st selected "No Thanks" and the price was $8,400 for a Celebrity suite. I got out and came back in and acccepted the "complimentary" Go Best and the price was also $8,400.

The x-citing deals offered on Tuesdays when they lists suites, the Best perks are extra.

We had a AQ cabin booked for a 10 night Hawaii cruise. The price of Sky Suites dropped and I called my TA. My TA asked if I wanted the Sky Suite with or without the 4 perks. The cost difference was $1000 per person. I'm sure we could have save money by buying premium drink packages and unlimited internet with us being Elite Plus.

On our Summit 7 night cruise the senior Aqua class was $1800, with go best no senior discount- classic drink packages and $300 OBC was $2300 ,worth it for us to pay $500 more for $1070 value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have done your homework and it makes lots of sense! Indeed you would save the so many things you need to consider. We love celebrity butt book outside it. We have also enjoyed Norwegian the smallest ships like the sun and Holland America although even though I'm a senior your Trucking sometime to Walking Dead! We were on the celebrity Mercury the last Cruise before it went to Germany. They were no children literally on board and we called it the Red Cross ship. This was before I started using a walker or rollator when they sayp at10 one night I went to the nightclub and it was closed. I remember saying and banging on the door is anybody in there and they opened it and said everybody our passengers were sleeping. They let me in and I partied with the crew. Again that was 10 years ago

Again you get better perks off the actual celebrity site and you need to do your math. I screwed up on one of them thing total drink package for two was was 670 rather than 760. God forbid if this person has never used talk text me be his dialogue will come out perfect

We had a AQ cabin booked for a 10 night Hawaii cruise. The price of Sky Suites dropped and I called my TA. My TA asked if I wanted the Sky Suite with or without the 4 perks. The cost difference was $1000 per person. I'm sure we could have save money by buying premium drink packages and unlimited internet with us being Elite Plus.

As I said, you would have to go through a TA to get the price without Perks. The Celebrity site does not give the option. You can select "No Thanks" but the price does not change. At least not on the 6 itineraries for a Celebrity Suite I checked for 2019.