What's the worse that could happen? (Guarantee cabin)

TheAs

Last year I booked an inside GTY on the Carnival Glory. I got a 4 category upgrade. The room was the same as what I had, but the deck was better. This year on Mariner of the Seas I picked the room, inside. When the prices dropped last week I took a gamble and for $35 pp, I was able to get a Deluxe Balcony GTY. Within 30 of a call to my TA is was assigned a room. I was booked into a balcony cabin in the hump area. For $70 the risk was worth it. Will definately book a GTY again.

WeReady makes a good point -

If you book a guarantee, any category, make sure to have your TA check the prices on other higher categories, guaranteed and secured, immediately before making your final payment(this includes checking FLASH promos)... You'll probably have a cabin assignment by that time(tho you may be upgraded further between payment and sailing), but prices may have dropped and you can decide if it's worth it to upgrade...

In doing the math, for cruise #1, had we booked our assigned room Directly, we would have paid $1,300 more (in total).

For cruise #2, had we booked our assigned room Directly, we would have paid $860 more (in total).

For me, that "cost savings" is worth the "gamble".

1300 more to book an assigned cabin?? wow When I look to book its seems that its only a 50.00 pp difference.

or are you talking that you took a gurantee and got upgraded to that particular cabin and that is what it would have cost??

1300 more to book an assigned cabin?? wow When I look to book its seems that its only a 50.00 pp difference.

or are you talking that you took a gurantee and got upgraded to that particular cabin and that is what it would have cost??

Had we booked the cabin directly (Room 8168), it would have cost $1300 more than what we paid to book a guarantee category. The "upgrade" we ended up with was worth that much.

Thanks to SERENE56. We took your advice today and upgraded from OV guarantee to Empress deck so that we won't have a rollaway. Carnival was having a special this weekend with upgrades from 6A to 6D so it only cost $40 for us to lock in a room with 2 bunks AND the room is on the highest of the 4 main decks. :)

We did the Guarentee Nov 2004 on the Carnival Legend. We ended up with an upgrade. On the 5th floor, right beside the Children's camp. We were very surprised we did not hear much, but we were not impressed when we first got to our room. We were so glad when we did not hear children all day and night which made the room look much better then we expected it to be upon arrival. The only real complaint I had about the room was it was ajoining with the room beside us, and you could hear everything... you could hear the phone ring, the toilet flush, talking in the room.... I would never want to be beside an ajoining room again, unless it was our kids or family members on the other side. We put towels under the door, and tried piling our suitcases there to cut some of the noise, but did not work that great.... I would say if you can at all afford it, book a room # and then you will be happy with where you are placed on the ship.

Had we booked the cabin directly (Room 8168), it would have cost $1300 more than what we paid to book a guarantee category. The "upgrade" we ended up with was worth that much.

whew--thanks for clearing that up-- thought ya meant booking a set cabin......LOL

I'll take whatever they give me, I couldn't care less. I spend very little time in the room anyway. I always call directly to the cruiseline and tell them straight up I want the cheapest room you have. I don't care on what floor or where at in the ship. We always have a great time, always take guarenteed and usually are not upgraded too much. But the service is the same, the food and entertainment are the same as well. I have thought I may like to have a balcony to be able to sit on it the morning and have coffee but for the difference in price I can get dressed and sit in the public areas. I love, love, love to cruise. As a matter of fact they can put me on a cruise ship and float me around downtown on the river, I couldn't care less, I just love to vacation heading for Hawaii in April, we've been to The Bahama's and Carribean several times and to Alaska twice have yet to have a bad time. I will say a few years ago we took a short Carnival Cruise I think maybe 5 days and we were not too overly impressed with Carnival but my understanding is that they have upgraded and the price was right so off for 12 days we go.:)

This morning I booked a ST guarantee, Category 11, on the Carnival Conquest - my first experience with booking a guarantee and my first time on Carnival. We're only saving about $300 total by booking the guarantee, but the Carnival rep told me we would have good chance of being upgraded to a penthouse suite (Category 12) which is about $1500 more. The worst-case scenario I could come up with was being assigned a suite on the starboard side when I prefer the port side. I don't think I'll like having to wait until possibly boarding time to find out where we'll be staying. I'm one of those that likes to look at the stateroom on the deck plans on the website every day or two for months up until time to cruise (we're not going until November 5th!).:o We've only been on 2 cruises and I chose the stateroom both times, even though we received a complimentary upgrade 2 days before our 1st cruise (both on the Grand Princess).

Has anyone ever heard of being upgraded when booking a guarantee at the suite level? Thank you.

Has anyone ever heard of being upgraded when booking a guarantee at the suite level? Thank you.

yes it does happen..and depends on how much you paid compared to the going rate today-- and at 70 days...etc..etc

how many in your party?

you will probably get an assignment about 45 days-- which can change when you get onboard. Would suck if told you got a 12 only to find out when you board its an 11.

After being in an "obstructed view" outside cabin (where the window may as well have been painted orange because all we could see was an orange lifeboat) I'm leery of guarantee...........because we've selected a cabin on the side of the ship we want and in the location we want. When he asked if I wanted to do a "guarantee" this time I said, "No."

I know we'll have the cabin we want (outside, starboard) and not be upgraded to an obstructed view on a higher deck, etc.

Once we scored well with a balcony, though.:)

CC & JC

Hope you do get the upgrade you are hoping for but my rep said the same thing, I called back talked to a supervisor by accident and told her a price I found for 2 decks higher midship for cheaper than the guarantee. Said she couldn't match it and to cancel and go with it. She said it makes her so mad when Reps say things like "I am sure you will get on the 9, 10 deck maybe even a suite. She said there is NO way they know that. She said you could be somewhere great but don't be upset when you are at the front of the ship, or way in the back!!!!! She was very honest and helpful. I appreciated that!! Good Luck!

A long time ago (10+ years ago) our friends wanted to try cruising & didn't know what to do. Their sister volunteered to make arrangements for them, after they decided what their itinerary & budget were, she booked them a guarantee inside cabin. (I don't remember what cruise line.) She had explained to them that they could possibly get an upgrade to a better interior cabin, but since they weren't previous cruisers, "don't hold your breath".

Long story short - the cabin assignments come in, they were upgraded to a balcony! Woohoo! Never heard of this before or since!

Personal experience - booked a 4A guarantee (interior) on Carnival Legend 11/03 got upgrade to deck 7

8A balcony guarantee upgraded to deck 7 on Carnival Glory 3/05

8A balcony guarantee upgraded to deck 8 on Carnival Legend 3/06

What they've said here - be sure you're willing to take the "worst" guarantee cabin before you go that route!

Sha

After booking an OV gurantee on the Carnival Imagination for April 20th, Carnival had a big sale a couple of weeks ago. We were able to upgrade to the HIGHEST level of oceanview (but not a suite) for just $40 total. We also got to pick our room.

If we had booked this room back when we first booked we would have paid over $400 more, so it pays to book the lowest room you would be happy with, then check back every few months to see if prices have dropped enough to upgrade.

My sister and I had one great guarantee experience - booked an inside guarantee on the Carnival Spirit and got an oceanview - Deck 2, but it was oceanview, and midship, no motion!

The bad news is, we booked an oceanview guarantee on our upcoming April 18 Norwegian Star cruise and have been assigned the cabin from Hell - right next to the theater entrance!! I am trying to get us ressigned and am getting the run around. Have left messages 3 times and am trying again today. Hopefully will get a response from NCL and a reassignment/upgrade.

thats the chance of booking a guarantee. Please let us know if they did indeed change your cabin or did youhave to buy an upgrade.

Whats wrong with the cabin being so closed to the theater? I would think the cabins are pretty soundproof and youshouldnt hear the noise in the hallway-- besides isnt the theater stuff done while you are sleeping?

My sister and I had one great guarantee experience - booked an inside guarantee on the Carnival Spirit and got an oceanview - Deck 2, but it was oceanview, and midship, no motion!

The bad news is, we booked an oceanview guarantee on our upcoming April 18 Norwegian Star cruise and have been assigned the cabin from Hell - right next to the theater entrance!! I am trying to get us ressigned and am getting the run around. Have left messages 3 times and am trying again today. Hopefully will get a response from NCL and a reassignment/upgrade.

Wow - they have passenger cabins in the same hallway as public areas? Ouch!

Our last cabin (balcony) was right under the outdoor part of the aft Lido deck (not where the music is). We would occasionally hear deck chairs scraping & one night there was a late night (midnight? 1am?)) private deck party (we could hear people running occasionally, along with deck chairs moving). But after complaining mildly to each other about the noise (and my BF went up the one level to see what was going on) we went to bed. Next thing we knew, it was morning - the noise never kept us awake! :D

I don't hink I'd like it if my cabin door was near the theatre!

Sha

This was a very informative thread for me. I always look for the lowest prices. We have cruised 7 times, getting ready to go on our 8th. We have had good experience with a guarantee, booked Carnival Conquest within 2 weeks of cruise inside guarantee (299 pp!) and got a great midship cabin. Carnival Glory booked inside 2 months before (459 pp)and got a great midship outside cabin! Just booked HAL inside guarantee for 4/2 (499 pp) and just found out we are foward inside 3 decks higher than what we booked. I was a little concerned about the forward cabin, never seasick on last 7 cruises )but I think I will take an "insurance" dramamine when we go to bed, just in case! At least it will make me sleep through any early morning anchor noise! Thanks to everyone for all the great comments!

Wow, you guys have me all worried now.

We booked a GTY balcony room because there are no mid-ship cabins left and we just couldnt decide on what room to take. Plus,

All the one that sleep 4 are in the front of the Conquest, so we figured we would play the "lotto".

But after reading this, could we get a room that sleeps 3 with a roll away??

I wouldnt want that.

Also, it sounds like I should watch prices and if they drop I might be able to upgrade my room for a fee? and then pick my cabin??

Can you downgrade a reservation to be able to pick an inside mid-ship room instead?

what would you do?

thanks!!

But after reading this, could we get a room that sleeps 3 with a roll away??

Also, it sounds like I should watch prices and if they drop I might be able to upgrade my room for a fee? and then pick my cabin??

Can you downgrade a reservation to be able to pick an inside mid-ship room instead?

what would you do?

thanks!!

first-- there are no rollaways on the Conquest-- just Fantasy class and Destiny/Triumph class ships so you are not to worry about rollaway this cruise.

yes, you should always watch for price drops.. they occur rare nowadays but it does happen. Sailign in SUmmer andholidays you wont see the price drop.. sometimes instead of taking the money difference they offer upgrades.

can you downgrade a reservation?? are you talking if you dont like your placement of cabin??? If you need to move you will be charged at the going rate of what that cabin sells for that particular day. SOmetimes downgrading might cost more then what you paid for in the begining.

6232 is avaailble for 4 people on the COnquest for thanksgiving week

We made a spur of the moment decision to book on the Constellation April 19th (9 nights) and all that was left that we could afford was inside guarantee. Well, we got our documents last week and we'd been upgraded to oceanview with a window, (unobstructed) mid ship on a great deck! Then I booked a 7 night cruise to Bermuda in May on the Zenith and got an aft inside which isn't such a great location. You roll the dice and take your chances :)

:confused: Hi, everyone. Serena56, you mean it's possible that we could get assigned to a penthouse suite a few days prior to the cruise only to be notified upon boarding that we've been "downgraded" to a regular suite? I does seem like there are really no bad staterooms as far as location or view at the suite level. Is that true?

And thank you for the tip about checking the prices every now and then. The Carnival rep that I've been working with didn't volunteer this information but she did say that if prices drop prior to final payment date I can call and I will get the lower price, but it's up to me to call them. She also said if the prices drop after final payment date, and I call it to their attention, they would try to "work something out." Does that mean shipboard credit in the amount of the price difference?

I hope everyone's week is going well.

:confused: Hi, everyone. Serena56, you mean it's possible that we could get assigned to a penthouse suite a few days prior to the cruise only to be notified upon boarding that we've been "downgraded" to a regular suite? I does seem like there are really no bad staterooms as far as location or view at the suite level. Is that true?.

yes it is possible-- rare but it does happen-- actullay happened to a cruisecritic member not too long ago.

Also happened to someone that "thought" it was their cabin wrote everything on the tags like it was the cabin... gave it up to porters only to check in and find it wasnt..too a long time to get their luggage that night. DO NOT check luggage with a porter til you double check your assignment with a porter with the manifest

:confused: . She also said if the prices drop after final payment date, and I call it to their attention, they would try to "work something out." Does that mean shipboard credit in the amount of the price difference?.

the price drop AFTER final payment you get "some" back but not all of it. SOme will give you a free upgrade instead. Depends what is worth more.

Check prices all the time. SOmetimes a price may only be decreased for one day-- maybe one weekend.

You know how to check for prices??

Archived