amscene1

Virgin... you blew it.

Also used to increase post numbers with little value added

Post whoring on CC, say it isn't so.

Post whoring on CC, say it isn't so.

Those are usually the same people that look at how many "friends" they have on social media to determine their own as well as others self worth.

Posted (edited)
The flaw is there won’t be enough cruisers to fill a nitche brand like this. This and one other is the only topic on the whole CC forums getting any traction. So, You and 20 other people will have a lot of fun on the inaugural cruise lololololol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are plenty of cruisers who will fit in very nicely in this niche. I think you're saying this isn't going to appeal to a certain sector of Americans, & perhaps you're correct, Mr. & Mrs. "merica" trucker hat wearing types might not be interested but there are plenty of us coastal city dwellers who will be intrigued.

You're assuming that all Americans eat fast food & shop at wal mart... my daughter managed to hit high school without ever having eaten Mc Donalds lol

Edited by cruise kitty

There are plenty of cruisers who will fit in very nicely in this niche. l

Hi, CruiseKitty! Good to see you on the VV boards! Are you patiently waiting for info, like so many of us who are 'on the list'? (And, for the record -- I think that you are absolutely right. This should turn out to be a good 'mix' of new cruisers, and the current cruising public.) :cool:

We get it, you are a huge NCL fan, but you are adding nothing here other than hate. Glad you love the mediocre food, service and ambience NCL provides. Happy sailings.

Apparently you have some huge grudge against Virgin and you simply cannot shut up about it. Get over it.

Love their airline and sure want to try their cruise ship. Sounds like it will be fun.

Hi, CruiseKitty! Good to see you on the VV boards! Are you patiently waiting for info, like so many of us who are 'on the list'? (And, for the record -- I think that you are absolutely right. This should turn out to be a good 'mix' of new cruisers, and the current cruising public.) :cool:

Nice to see you here too, & yes, I'm hoping this is going to turn out to be a good fit for us, I love the idea of adults only ( I'm not anti kid though, I just think there are plenty of lines that cater to family type cruises)

My biggest concern is what the itineraries will be... not very interested in the Caribbean, or 7 day cruises, I'm hoping for some longer European cruises, I"d love to do another Adriatic that visits some of the smaller ports. I guess right now it's all speculation, right? :)

Nice to see you here too, & yes, I'm hoping this is going to turn out to be a good fit for us, I love the idea of adults only ( I'm not anti kid though, I just think there are plenty of lines that cater to family type cruises)

My biggest concern is what the itineraries will be... not very interested in the Caribbean, or 7 day cruises, I'm hoping for some longer European cruises, I"d love to do another Adriatic that visits some of the smaller ports. I guess right now it's all speculation, right? :)

Amen, on the 'adults only' feature! And, for the record -- I have an adorable DGD, who I am looking forward to taking on her first cruise, next year. But, that will be on RC, which is a very 'family focused' cruiseline -- with lots of kid-oriented activities.

Like you, I'm a little bored with the standard Caribbean itinerary. Sailing around the same dozen-or-so islands, on the same handful of ships, has gotten a little stale. What motivated me to put down a VV 'pre-deposit' was the hope that my place in the 'queue' might get me on the trans-atlantic take-out cruise. But, of course, that remains to be seen. Hoping that we'll get some real news, before year's end! :)

Is there a special reason why the threads for VV all seem to go nuts? This will be a new cruise line. We all do not exactly know what to expect.

No children on board. No teens on board. Sounds good to me (any comments made by indviduals usually show off their personal, subjective opinions).

Target group 20 - 30)? Naaaah, that ain´t gonna work. Make it 20 - 60, sounds more realistic.

Design? Oh well, we know a lot of renderings. I do not agree with all the RED but apart from that, things ain´t lookin too bad. However, nobody knows how it will feel when we are standing inside of all that, except some interior designers, maybe.

Pricing? Uhm, that one will have a major impact. Nobody has any idea where they will put the prices. I say they should not pull up to Celebrity level. If they do, that might go wrong. Go and compete with NCL, they have become expensive enough.

Personally, I think that "Scarlet Lady" is about to become a terrible looking ship on the outside. But again, nobody has seen the ship in real life yet. Might be a whole different experience then.

I do feel they will cut me off by their pricing. But we will see.

LOL Nemanoxer -- I don't think that ALL of the VV threads go nuts -- just this one. But, that's OK, because we're taking it back! :halo:

I like your observations and insight. Reminds me that, whatever we do know about this ship, there's just so much more that we don't know, yet. I think that you're right on the age range -- it's going to be a very broad demographic (a good thing). Bottom line: The cabin design and pricing will be the make-it-or-break-it point for me. Hope that we hear something soon! :cool:

There are plenty of cruisers who will fit in very nicely in this niche. I think you're saying this isn't going to appeal to a certain sector of Americans, & perhaps you're correct, Mr. & Mrs. "merica" trucker hat wearing types might not be interested but there are plenty of us coastal city dwellers who will be intrigued.

You're assuming that all Americans eat fast food & shop at wal mart... my daughter managed to hit high school without ever having eaten Mc Donalds lol

Wow. Who's making assumptions about certain Americans?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Well, school has started or will be starting in the USA. Hopefully, the OP is safely tucked up in his classroom with too much homework to worry about stirring up trouble on the various cruise forums on this board.

In any case, I didn't know anything about Virgin Voyages until I received an extensive cruise survey from MSC which went into detail on comparing my past cruise experience on different lines with MSC.

One of the questions concerned further cruises which I have booked or might be interested in booking.

Virgin was one of the options given. Virgin???????? Who? What?

Of course, that prompted me to google Virgin and, yes, we might be interested.

In spite of the assertions that the OP made in first post, the only official information about target demographics that I found on the Virgin website are over 18 and "young in mind." Well, we are over 18 (well over) and at least the minds and spirits are young. The bodies are showing the wear and tear of lives well spent.

Hopefully, Virgin will be well suited for anyone still willing to have new experiences.

I do feel they will cut me off by their pricing. But we will see.

New ship pricing is high on every line, I would expect the same with Virgin. The staying power will come when their second ship hits the market.

I am looking forward to seeing how this line does. My youngest won't be 18 until 2022 so I have some time before we can sail and by then I will know if its a product I am interested in.

Just because you don't like the décor doesn't mean the whole venture is destroyed.

*less then 20% body fat - Don't I wish

*between 18-40 - Barely

*doesent smoke - Not for fifteen years

*eats salads at all meals (ok I went far but not that far off) - Not ALL meals

*LGBT - Correct

I dunno, VV is sounding pretty good to me right now.

I paid my deposit as soon as I heard of VV. main reasons are1) adult only.2) although I will not fit the age bracket 😂😘(nearly 70 ) I look forward to a younger demographic as so many cruise itineraries are now dated. Lots of older people are energetic and enjoying life so I see VV filling a gap. Unless they introduce an upper age limit 😂

3) IMO Virgin genarally get it right in new ventures. They know their audience and deliver.

I have just completed a cruise 3 days ago. Flew return with Virgin, seamless great smiling service. Made the otherwise boring part of my holiday enjoyable.

Reading this forum has raised some awareness to aspects I hadn’t considered. I will wait and see as information becomes available.

Until I know more I am excited to join the inaugural voyage.

Hi Muchty -- At this point, I think that we're all pretty much in the same boat (so to speak) -- just waiting for info on what our place in the 'queue' will buy us. Personally, i'm hoping for a shot at the take-out transatlantic cruise on Scarlet Lady. Since it's been nearly a year since we joined the 'presale', I 'm hoping that we get some details, soon.

Not seeing the need to get so worked up about this. Like many said, a progressive cruise line that offers a new look at things is appealing. As mentioned, much of the ship has yet to be revealed, and what has been revealed is not groundbreaking, but the overall concept is still keeping my attention. We've only seen a very small percentage of the ship. There is still chance that Virgin can come up with some more exciting venues. If successful, Virgin will be ahead of the curve (hopefully not too far ahead).

The reason that Virgin used designers that don't specialize in ship design is because they don't want the ship to be anything like your typical cruise ship. This is to attract a customer base that had previously negative ideas about what a cruise entailed. This is exciting to me.

But then again, maybe my opinion doesn't matter, because every single point in your list of criteria fits me. 18-40, little body fat, non-smoker, healthy eating, and LGBT. :rolleyes:

Sadly, I DON'T fit most of those criteria -- well, except for the non-smoking part, LOL! ;) But, I hope that things work out, and that we get a chance to meet on a VV cruise, someday! LOVE your attitude! :cool:

Totally see both of your points. And I don't fit in most of the criteria

Over 40

Have body fat

Don't smoke

Eat Healthier (no fast food, low carb, no junk food, love a good salad and steak)

LGBT - 15 years in April together

Always enjoy a good conversation over a glass of wine and tapas, socializing, and enjoying a new experience

Bingo. I for one am looking forward to trying something new!

OP, how are you Elite + on Princess when the category doesn't exist? Anything else you're perhaps exaggerating on?

Don't like it, don't sail on it. Move on.[/quote]

Where is the like button?

Classic case of everyone can have an opinion but only mine is right.

Also used to increase post numbers with little value added��*♂️

Your opinion, Doesn't mean anyone has to agree with it, including VV.

The huge ego of Branson thought he could revolutionize the cruise industry.

Sure, his concepts has worked in many places and venues including swank aircraft and chic hotels. However, in one country, they haven’t worked, The U.S.

Virgin America, Virgin Megastores and Virgin Cola among a total of 15 failures by the parent brand. You can’t expect people from the U.S. to like Virgin brand except maybe for hipsters and millennials.

Virgin Voyages

First Mistake - 18 & up

You took away so many families that would spend money with your line, maybe families that were tired of disney pricing and wanted a change, heck, you even have the the original president of Disney cruise line on board as your C.E.O.

I can almost guarantee Tom McAlpin and Richard Branson do not agree and do not get along.

Second Mistake - designers & design

All of your designers have never even stepped foot on a cruise ship and “loathe” the thought of cruising. What the heck are you even thinking? The interior spaces of this ship more resemble a haunted house then anything that is remotely inviting and warm. I was really looking forward to VV but after these renderings, I wouldn’t go near this. This is like going to a south beach nightclub and waiting for the bouncer to pick you out of a line.

Americans like there NCL, RCCL and CCL, look how tough a time MSC is having on their newest ship giving away free alcohol and free balcony upgrades even in peak season.

Third Mistake - Made it true to the brand

I can’t help but think why did virgin america fail, probably because jet blue does the same thing for cheaper and without the pink led lights. I can only relate this to the ships. How VV? How are you gonna fill a 2700 passenger cruise ship (let alone 3) every week when you’ve narrowed down your customer to:

*less then 20% body fat

*between 18-40

*doesent smoke

*eats salads at all meals (ok I went far but not that far off)

*LGBT

I don’t see this ending well. It’s a shame and everyone else taking is 100% right. Celebrity did what we thought you were gonna do.

Your bringing the opposite of what cruising is and what the American cruising audience is.

Look Virgin, I’m from Merica! I wanna eat red meat, smoke cigars and get completely $@&! Faced by the pool (that you don’t have)

Clearly the OP hasn't read the piece in Entrepreneur about VV. They aren't designing for cruisers. Their target audience is the 20-30 crowd, who have never cruised before.

LOL...so they are targeting a demographic with little money? Interesting.

Hmmmmm. I on occasion have eaten at McDonalds and have shopped at Walmart as well. Are you saying you assume I wear a trucker hat? Are saying I am not like the special "coastal types" like you? I must be a middle country dweller? Rather presumptuous I would say. Oh FYI ...I am a "coastal type" myself and never assume things about people I do not know. Enjoy wherever you sail in life.

Would it be possible for us to 'agree to disagree' on a few things, and keep this discussion civil? It's one thing when flame-wars break out about existing cruise ships/lines. But, at this point -- everything about Virgin's new-build is pretty much conceptual. Personally, I'm planning to reserve judgement, until I see the finished product. And, yes -- we all have opinions about what we'd like to see -- and would not like to see. That doesn't mean that anyone's ideas are worth more -- or less -- than anyone else's. Just my $0.02. :)

LOL...so they are targeting a demographic with little money? Interesting.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I know quite a few 20-30 year olds making in the 100k plus range.

Why are you here if you clearly love NCL?

Something I just thought of because of a recent interview with frank del Rio recently. He said Ncl can’t build ships fast enough and no suitors to build any (other then planned) additional ships until 2023.

Thinking of this, NCL will snap these ships as soon as VV fail, retrofit them and put them into service. This will at least allow virgin worldwide to get rid of another loss/failure and help recoup Bain capital some of its investment.

On 7/28/2018 at 11:30 AM, The_0neuk said:

do you know how to party....

I'm Brazilian... I was born partying :)